How much money after everything is paid for?

If you're giving 10% of your income to the church, you'd better be on track for retirement.
And also have a long-term disability insurance policy to cover your expenses and retirement contributions if they aren't able to work. How long would your savings last if you were out of work due to illness or injury for 1 or 5 or 20 years? I doubt your church would support you forever, so you've got to take care of your own financial situation before giving the church 10-20k a year for a new state of the art playground.

I see a lot of people's retirement accounts and the great majority aren't investing 10% into themselves, so hopefully they aren't giving it to the church either!

The church will be just fine while you're laying in a Medicaid bed in retirement.

My advice to anyone wanting to start saving more money is to keep living your life as you do, but track every penny spent for several months and it will be eye-opening. Work towards cutting back spending where it's obvious you need to.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. And the part that bothers me is how those guys can't see that they are WAY above average. As one guy responded to me. "It's not all that uncommon" 🤦

Lol the internet will do that to you.

But, I do imagine internet gear/expedition hunting/gun forums are probably frequented by people that generally have more hobby spending cash than many avg workers.

Take a group that’s not representative then add in internet racing and no need to prove anything you said and whew

I think this forum does self-select for a demographic that is higher on the socioeconomic status ladder than average.

For starters, most guys are taking off 1 to 2 weeks for a Western hunting trip. Meaning the bar to entry is already that you can afford to not work for a week or two.

Then factor in we are all paying $200-$1200 to apply for tags we won’t draw this year (or next, probably not the following either).

go_deep

WKR
If you're giving 10% of your income to the church, you'd better be on track for retirement.
And also have a long-term disability insurance policy to cover your expenses and retirement contributions if they aren't able to work. How long would your savings last if you were out of work due to illness or injury for 1 or 5 or 20 years? I doubt your church would support you forever, so you've got to take care of your own financial situation before giving the church 10-20k a year for a new state of the art playground.

I see a lot of people's retirement accounts and the great majority aren't investing 10% into themselves, so hopefully they aren't giving it to the church either!

The church will be just fine while you're laying in a Medicaid bed in retirement.

My advice to anyone wanting to start saving more money is to keep living your life as you do, but track every penny spent for several months and it will be eye-opening. Work towards cutting back spending where it's obvious you need to.

I give more than 10% to my church, we don't have a playground though, we have housing for abused women, we have an entire apartment complex for low income elderly, we have a community wide food bank that serves around 400 people a week, along with free clothing for the poor, and meals for the homeless, we provided over 50k meals last year.
Some churches aren't churches and give real churches a bad name.

All honesty I'd say I am sub $500 a month, work full time and farm along side, single income household with a house I built 7 years ago and on a 15yr mortgage. Would like it be a higher number but farming is getting a kick in the pants currently as far as profits go.

I give more than 10% to my church, we don't have a playground though, we have housing for abused women, we have an entire apartment complex for low income elderly, we have a community wide food bank that serves around 400 people a week, along with free clothing for the poor, and meals for the homeless, we provided over 50k meals last year.

I was just coming to say about the same thing about my church, in the past we have done things like donating a new pair of shoes to each kid at the local elementary school, donating backpacks full of supplies, helped families to pay the bills when times have been tough. Some churches don’t use the money in ways that will further God’s kingdom and some do. Make sure you find a church where the vision is aligned with God’s plan and give there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. And the part that bothers me is how those guys can't see that they are WAY above average. As one guy responded to me. "It's not all that uncommon" 🤦
I’m sorry you’re bothered, but I think people have been pretty open in this thread about recognizing and disclosing financial leg-ups or privileges that help their own situation. I personally recognize there are a huge number of people less fortunate than my family out there and count my blessings everyday.

I will say though I don’t even like calling them privileges as in my experience it was usually a lot of hard work and sacrifice with a little luck that created these privileges that people using a victim mentality are quick to dismiss instead of honestly reflecting on their own situation to see what they could learn from others to improve upon.

You seem to be having a tough time realizing just how big the discrepancy there can be with incomes and expenses in high versus low cost of living areas, which I think is part of the disconnect here. I’ll provide some real world numbers below that might help. I’ll focus on W2 income and housing as those are the top budget line items for 95% of people, and other budget line items usually don’t vary as much based on location.

My current zip code, which would 100% qualify as a high cost of living area.

Median individual salary - $77k
Median home sale price - $810k

The zip code I grew up in, which would 100% qualify as a low cost of living area.

Median individual salary - $39k
Median home sale price - $159k

This shows how the median DINK household with two workers in my current zip code would have a household income of $154k. This is what @thinhorn_AK is talking about where it is not at all uncommon for a lot of households to have $200k incomes when you’re living in these areas. If I pulled numbers from LA, SF, or NYC, it would be an even more extreme contrast.

Hopefully this helps!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m sorry you’re bothered, but I think people have been pretty open in this thread about recognizing and disclosing financial leg-ups or privileges that help their own situation. I personally recognize there are a huge number of people less fortunate than my family out there and count my blessings everyday.

I will say though I don’t even like calling them privileges as in my experience it was usually a lot of hard work and sacrifice with a little luck that created these privileges that people using a victim mentality are quick to dismiss instead of honestly reflecting on their own situation to see what they could learn from others to improve upon.

You seem to be having a tough time realizing just how big the discrepancy there can be with incomes and expenses in high versus low cost of living areas, which I think is part of the disconnect here. I’ll provide some real world numbers below that might help. I’ll focus on W2 income and housing as those are the top budget line items for 95% of people, and other budget line items usually don’t vary as much based on location.

The zip code I grew up in, which would 100% qualify as a low cost of living area.

This shows how the median DINK household with two workers in my current zip code would have a household income of $154k. This is what @thinhorn_AK is talking about where it is not at all uncommon for a lot of households to have $200k incomes when you’re living in these areas. If I pulled numbers from LA, SF, or NYC, it would be an even more extreme contrast.

Hopefully this helps!

Hopefully this helps!
“a lot of hard work and sacrifice with a little bit of luck”

That is 100% correct. While I realize that me and my wife bring in more than most of the people I know, it took us years and years to be able to do it. Even now, we are driving shitty cars because spending money on nice cars is ridiculous.

I got a line on a used 2003 jeep grand Cherokee locally, we’re going to buy it so my wife can try it. Her “new” car will be 21 years old.

We could buy anything we want, I’d love to have brand new tundra but that would cramp my style.

Anyways, yes it’s nice to have a lot of money but at least for me, it did t just happen. We had a lot of years where we were broke as hell and had to scratch and claw to not fall behind.

Being successful dosent just happen (usually).

Edit to add: homes are 500k + where I live if that matters, we were lucky to get one for 330k back in 2020 with a 2.1% interest rate, we also had ~ 120k as a down payment from….working and saving our asses off.

KsRancher

WKR

Hopefully this helps!
It doesn't bother me what people make or save. Its great that guys are making what they do and are able to save what they do. It's the American dream. It's what we strive for. I may not be there but I can tell you I a work my ass to try and get there.

As mentioned above. When we start comparing ourselves it probably isn't a good thing. We never compare ourselves to people below us income wise. It's always people above us (myself included). And maybe "bothers" was the wrong word to use. I just think that when people who can save more than the average American makes by a significant amount they shouldn't be saying "it's not that hard" or "it's pretty common". That statement is probably true for people in your circle. But not even close to the average American. Anyhow, I will bow out of this conversation. I apologize if I was coming off rude.

It doesn't bother me what people make or save. Its great that guys are making what they do and are able to save what they do. It's the American dream. It's what we strive for. I may not be there but I can tell you I a work my ass to try and get there.

As mentioned above. When we start comparing ourselves it probably isn't a good thing. We never compare ourselves to people below us income wise. It's always people above us (myself included). And maybe "bothers" was the wrong word to use. I just think that when people who can save more than the average American makes by a significant amount they shouldn't be saying "it's not that hard" or "it's pretty common". That statement is probably true for people in your circle. But not even close to the average American. Anyhow, I will bow out of this conversation. I apologize if I was coming off rude.
No rudeness interpreted at all. Sorry if my above post came off as blunt as well, and I agree with your point about using the“not that hard” and “pretty common” phrases. I’m guilty of it myself even though I consciously try not to.

I just wanted to make the above point somewhat blunt, because I see it really frequently on financial posts where people are quick to dismiss others successes, and just assume it is due some magic formula or luck they will never have themselves and throw their hands up instead of really evaluating and working at it.

It’s one amazing thing about living in the American capitalist economy. New millionaires are made every day, and it isn’t totally out of reach for anyone.

Good luck and best wishes to you and yours.

I’m a big Dave Ramsey fan. Generally speaking, 10% to the Lord, 15% to retirement, 25% (max) on housing, and the rest figures itself out. Give every dollar a name on a monthly basis, and enjoy financial freedom over time.

Same here. 5 kids. One in college. Debt free. Bit a ton of margin but I’m blessed

tdhanses

WKR

In all reality it comes down to where your willing to live, many people with lots of excess cash, while not slaves to debt are in a concrete hell hole that I bet you wouldn’t be willing to sacrifice your way of living for just to make more cash.

It’s all a give and take of what your willing to do to live your life and everyone has a different tolerance.

I bet if you lived in some of the same places that pay way more you would be making way more money but what would you give up to do that.

With all the talk of hard work and sacrifice, let’s not forget the generational wealth that some have! I know some whose parents gifted them a down payment or even an entire house!
No hate, as that’s the goal! But they are definitely out there as well.

tdhanses

WKR
With all the talk of hard work and sacrifice, let’s not forget the generational wealth that some have! I know some whose parents gifted them a down payment or even an entire house!
No hate, as that’s the goal! But they are definitely out there as well.
And there are tens of 1,000’s of them that these situations do not make the stats.

It shocks me just how many people actual do fall into this category and you would never know it based on how they live.

Same here. 5 kids. One in college. Debt free. Bit a ton of margin but I’m blessed

I mean not a ton of margin but I am to have about $3,000 to spend on hunting. Basically one income family. We drive 10 plus year old paid for cars. My wife stretches my window well.

That's sounds really nice. Around NE Ks, it's nothing like that. When they had the grand opening if you donated $100k you could ring the custom bells made in Italy...