How much does elevation change POI

KClark91

FNG
Coming from the east coast to Colorado for rifle season elk. I searched ballistic charts to calculate difference for my 7rem mag at 0 to 9k and it’s around .5moa adjustments high at 9k. Does anyone have any real world experience shooting long range coming from the east coast or lower elevation.

Macintosh

WKR
Sure, I live on the east coast and generally shoot and hunt here around 2000’ DA. When I travel west to hunt I have done so between 5000’ and 11000’ elevation.

When I check zero after flying west, my 100-yard zero generally does not shift—if it does, its from the baggage handlers, not the change in elevation.

You’ll see an increase in how far off your low-elevation dope is as you go up in DA and as you increase range. Looking at 2 rifles, a 270 and a 6.5cm and comparing 2000’ to 9000’ DA, at 300 yards my dope is off either less than .1mils or .1 mils, and both rifles are off .2 mils at 500 yards (So low elev solution is 3.1mils, 9000’ solution is 2.9, difference is .2mils). That equates to about .35moa or less at 300 (about 1.1” impact distance) and about .75moa at 500 (about 3.75” impact distance).

Keep in mind that amount of error is in addition to the precision of my equipment and my wobble, so it’ll very easily cause a miss/bad hit on a deer-sized target at 500 yards that would otherwise have been a good hit. At longer range it’ll be worse.

SDHNTR

WKR
I get the
Coming from the east coast to Colorado for rifle season elk. I searched ballistic charts to calculate difference for my 7rem mag at 0 to 9k and it’s around .5moa adjustments high at 9k. Does anyone have any real world experience shooting long range coming from the east coast or lower elevation.
Your zero is one issue. And may be minimally effected. Is that what you are asking?

Your long range trajectory is another matter entirely. Consult your ballistics solver.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Sure... you don't need as much elevation adjustment at altitude. You're ballistic calculator will tell you exactly how much. Also your windage holds will change.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
Sure... you don't need as much elevation adjustment at altitude. You're ballistic calculator will tell you exactly how much. Also your windage holds will change.
I
Sure, I live on the east coast and generally shoot and hunt here around 2000’ DA. When I travel west to hunt I have done so between 5000’ and 11000’ elevation.

When I check zero after flying west, my 100-yard zero generally does not shift—if it does, its from the baggage handlers, not the change in elevation.

You’ll see an increase in how far off your low-elevation dope is as you go up in DA and as you increase range. Looking at 2 rifles, a 270 and a 6.5cm and comparing 2000’ to 9000’ DA, at 300 yards my dope is off either less than .1mils or .1 mils, and both rifles are off .2 mils at 500 yards (So low elev solution is 3.1mils, 9000’ solution is 2.9, difference is .2mils). That equates to about .35moa or less at 300 (about 1.1” impact distance) and about .75moa at 500 (about 3.75” impact distance).

Keep in mind that amount of error is in addition to the precision of my equipment and my wobble, so it’ll very easily cause a miss/bad hit on a deer-sized target at 500 yards that would otherwise have been a good hit. At longer range it’ll be worse.
Yea in my ballistic calculator for 9k if I adjust .5moa low my trajectory would be 500 1.5” high and 600 3.1” high compared to where it’s sighted in now now. Just wondering how accurate the calculator is for elevation change

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a reason not to trust your calculator? Are it's solutions accurate at the distances you currently shoot?

SDHNTR

WKR
I think I understand what you are asking. Does your solver have an “atmospheric zero” feature? Turn it on and it will accomodate.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
I think I understand what you are asking. Does your solver have an “atmospheric zero” feature? Turn it on and it will accomodate.
I can input elevation and it calculated drop at the distances. If I adjust .5moa down and add 9k elevation the trajectories are very similar. Just not sure how accurate the elevation change is.