How many rounds do you pack in with you on a hunt?

Laramie

WKR
As a guide I always encouraged guys to bring a full box anytime we were going to be more than a mile from the truck. It only happened once, but I did have a hunter wound an elk and took most of that box to finally put it down. I really thought I might have to hike a couple miles to get him more. Day hunts I personally carry 10. If I was packing in, I would definitely bring 20 just in case I found some wolves.

Macintosh

WKR
@Laramie ,I have to know--assuming this wasnt a case of a ridiculously inadequate cartridge/bullet, how on earth does it take almost a box of ammo to put down an elk?

22 rounds for the rifle and 12 for my revolver. I like having extra ammo for signaling purposes if needed.

Laramie

WKR
@Laramie ,I have to know--assuming this wasnt a case of a ridiculously inadequate cartridge/bullet, how on earth does it take almost a box of ammo to put down an elk?
Nothing wrong with his caliber or bullets- just a poor first shot. Jumped the elk a couple times and he was trying to hit it running. It finally bedded in a place where we could sneak in and shoot it in it's bed.

taskswap

WKR
4 rounds in a spare mag. Magazines rarely fail, but not never. And I had a hunt partner have his just fall right out of his rifle on a tricky ridge climb (I think there was actually a recall for it at some point). Imagine having a full ammo wallet and no mag to put them in!

I've never felt like I needed more than 8+1 rounds on a hunt because I usually hunt within 5-8 miles of my truck and in an emergency could always hike out to it. I do carry a small ammo can in my truck with a few extra boxes, usually because I'm hitting a nearby range for a final sight-in the day or two before the season. And for me, carrying the rounds in a spare mag instead of an ammo wallet is just easier. I don't even think about topping off - I just swap mags.

I always just carry 1 "Full gun" and 1 "Full gun" in my backpack. If I can't get something killed with that, I need to take up golf.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
10 to 20, depending on how long I will be on the trip. I figure you never know what can happen and a few extra bullets doesn’t hurt.

When I come back, I always look at the ammo after and wonder why I carried it.

CMP70306

WKR
Well now I feel over packed, when I hunted in rifle last year I carried a 4 round mag, two 8 round mags plus a 12 round ammo wallet tossed in my pack.

I fired one round and killed the buck I shot at.

5 total, any more needed than that its my fault and the deer win. I dont recall taking more than 2 or maybe 3 shots at an animal ever in my 35 years of hunting i am dumfounded at how many of yall take 10-20 rounds!

CMP70306

WKR
32 rounds?! Haha my man.

5 total, any more needed than that its my fault and the deer win. I dont recall taking more than 2 or maybe 3 shots at an animal ever in my 35 years of hunting i am dumfounded at how many of yall take 10-20 rounds!

In my defense I have 6 deer tags, we routinely see coyotes, black bear is also in season and we do a bunch of driving where I may not carry my pack or jacket so my ammo can get divided up. Most I ever shot on one outing was 5 rounds, 1 at a buck and 4 at a bear. Other than that it’s only ever been one or two shots at a time.

The least I ever carried was 3 rounds on the last stalk of my bison hunt, I figured if I didn’t get him with the first three rounds out of my Sharps I was going back to the truck for my .300 Win Mag anyway.

WCB

WKR
1 full box...4 in the gun...4 in my bino harness, 2 in the lid of my pack and then the remaining sleeve of 10 buried somewhere in my pack.

Never plan on using that many but after guiding you find out that sh!t happens. I would never leave the truck with only a gun full. Everybody likes to thinks they are Carlos Hathcock when in realty Elmer Fudd pops up in the worst scenarios. I tape my mag in my gun but I have seen mags come out and floor plates pop open unknowingly. leaving guys with complete empty gun or only 1 in the chamber.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Deer, bear, cougar, wolves, coyotes, etc. More animals to kill than just deer.

Usually 10 for my bolt gun-- 3 in the gun, 3 in the binocular harness, 3-4 in my pack.
My last trip out, my kid dropped my pack with my rifle strapped on, hitting muzzle-first on beach rocks. Even with electrical tape over the muzzle, part of a rock broke and lodged in the muzzle hard enough that I had to pry the last bit of rock out. I was glad to have extra rounds to test fire that time. The first round was a bit off zero but the next three were within an inch of POA at 100 yards. Lucky, and also glad I had a rangefinder to mark out 100 yards to test.

Deer hunting with my AR I bring a full 10-round mag and a few extra.

Hunting ptarmigan, I'll bring maybe 20 or 30 or so 22lr rounds (or 10-15 shotgun rounds).

Hunting or hiking in brown bear areas, about 40 rounds (30-round mag plus a 10-round mag).