How many of you Western Hunters use Whisker Biscuits on your bows?

Whisky

WKR
I don't use whisker biscuits, it just adds one more factor that can go wrong when your shooting your bow.

Oh is that a fact? I'm gonna have to kindly disagree. ;)

If it was going to happen to anybody, it would be me........ First time giving a drop away a chance in 11 years, on my new Spyder this year.

Shot a lot of arrows on Saturday and Sunday with no issues. Actually I've shot a lot of arrows since I switched it to limb driven awhile back with no issues.... Went to draw back on arrow 1 tonight and the rest didn't pop up. Got to looking at it and best I figure is the set screw that holds it all together worked loose a tad and caused the spring on the inside to bend and pop out from the inside of the rest. The right "prong" on the spring is not at a nice 90 degree anymore, as seen in the picture below

I lost what little confidence I did have in them. Too many little parts and if one fails, more will fail. Screws work loose, it happens....The Biscuit will most certainly be going back on. The thoughts of drawing back on that trophy at 20yds only to have a rest failure kind of pisses me off.

DropSpring_zpsbbef56a2.jpg

Shrek

WKR
I don't use whisker biscuits, it just adds one more factor that can go wrong when your shooting your bow.

I'm still left wondering what rest Shoot strait uses that is more reliable than the biscuit. Whiskey , do you have any idea ? I hate when someone throws up such a well supported statement that it is obvious what they are comparing .

cmeier117

WKR
Just out of curiousity why do you guys like shooting with a whisker bisuit? Is it because it is a simple full containment? I used a non full containment drop away rest last year and they few times I had an arrow knocked I either hold it with my finger or had an arrow holder on the shelf, which worked great btw. I just don't understand why someone would want their fletchings passing through tooth brush bristles before it leaves the bow?

Jon Boy

WKR
Just out of curiousity why do you guys like shooting with a whisker bisuit? Is it because it is a simple full containment? I used a non full containment drop away rest last year and they few times I had an arrow knocked I either hold it with my finger or had an arrow holder on the shelf, which worked great btw. I just don't understand why someone would want their fletchings passing through tooth brush bristles before it leaves the bow?

Because it works, there is hardly any possible way for it to fail in the back country, and its full containment. When im gettin fletching touching at my max range I see no reason to switch. If my accuracy was questionable I would switch in a heart beat.

cmeier117

WKR
Because it works, there is hardly any possible way for it to fail in the back country, and its full containment. When im gettin fletching touching at my max range I see no reason to switch. If my accuracy was questionable I would switch in a heart beat.

If it is working for you then more power to ya. That is also the only reasons I could possibly see for using one.

Whisky

WKR

What he said^^^

The full containment is a nice bonus, but the main reason is simplicity. Not having to worry about a rest failing at the moment of truth. (See my post above)

I will say this after using that drop away for a bit. They are a lot easier for me to tune than a biscuit. I got torque issues and the biscuit magnifies that when trying to get paper tuned. With the drop away I was shooting bullet holes in 4 arrows, and never had to touch my rest for broad head tuning, they grouped out to 60 right after paper tune. I've never had that happen with a biscuit before.

ZERO moving parts! On a modern bow full of moving parts any one of which can fail at any given moment, its nice to eliminate one potential failure point. No cords, springs, flippers. Bolt it on, centershot it and youre off and running.

Easy to tune. No timing, no worrying about clearance (your expecting clearance, whats more, its 360 degrees around the arrow.....which is why it works). Left right up down, simple.

It supports the arrow. When drop aways first came, the claim to fame was it drops immediately, and that was good. High speed cameras proved that wasnt good. Now, the claim to fame of new drop aways is "supports your arrow longer". Well, the biscuit automatically does this.

Full containment, great for the final sneak, or sprinting through the brush to cut something off.

(Did I mention zero moving parts?)

And the final reason........it works!

The ONLY con to the biscuit is for those with form issues. In which case, a drop away doesnt fix it, it only hides it. The form issue is still there and will still likely rear its ugly head with broadheads (unless you use a mechanical, which again, only hides a problem rather than fixing it).

Another bisquit fan here too, I chronied a 2 fps loss on an mr7 with blazers on approx. 370 gr arrow at 70lbs and 29" forgot the speeds but not the difference. I keep spending money on new drops for some silly reason but always go back to the bisquit, think I've tried my last drop.

mdog

FNG
Didn't read all the posts so someone may have mentioned this already. The passing of a helically fletched arrow through the bristles puts a mechanical spin on the arrow long before the fletching causes the arrow to rotatate as it passes through the air. Not a bad thing with broadheads.

Shrek

WKR
not to mention possibly the best name for a product ever[/QUOTE]

Stinky Coyote , please explain this great name thing ? ;)

Shrek

WKR
I'm a guy so I'm all visual. A video of mounting the wisker biscuit , tuning it , some close ups of how you insert the shaft. Some slow motion of how the wisker biscuit holds and guides the shaft on the power stroke. Then how the wisker biscuit resleases the shaft sending the powerful shot ! :D

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot one simple because where I hunt when out of state or country there is no where relatively close that I can get a new drop away put on/ fixes and or tuned. If I were to break the w.b. I just put the back up on and align the new brackets with the markings on the bow and do a slight tuning and I'm good to go. I don't have to kill 2 days of drive time or possibly loose the rest of the hunt