How many of you guys are just sitting your hunt?

I have done elk hunts a few times, only saw some the last time I went (Watched a hunter across the valley stare the opposite way of them for an hour. If he only knew to turn around and hike through a small crop of trees!) But I feel like most of my hunts are just long hikes holding a bow. Not complaining, but I think my restlessness plays against me sometimes. I always hear about these guys chasing a herd or a bugal, but how many of you guys just find a nice field with some sign and sit out the days there?

magtech

WKR
Try hiking to benches that look like they hold elk midday. Get above them 100-200 yards and randomly cow/calf call for 20-45 minutes. Then get up and go to another ones. You get breaks, you get hiking, and sometimes youre in the right spot and you get stupid elk (my favorite).

I mean it worked for me this year.

Weldor

WKR
Waterholes. Guys get bored by early morning and start moving around and push the critters . Patience is a great tool.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I dont do much long sitting although I tried to sit a wallow for a couple days that was real active this year that did not go well. I have found that I find a lot more elk by sitting and listening periodically. This time of year they make some noise pretty regularly during the mid day but lots of times it is real quiet and I would never hear them when I was moving. Now that I am sitting quiet in areas I think they might be I hear light noises. Now getting them in for a shot is a whole other problem.

intunegp

WKR
I know a group of guys that hunt OTC 3rd rifle season, been going to the same unit on the same hunt for probably 20 years. They are all sit and wait hunters and all sit in the same spot morning and afternoon for the duration of their hunt.

They all know some of their spots are better than others, but the guys with the good spots probably have a 60-70% success rate.

cmorris6

FNG
I have done elk hunts a few times, only saw some the last time I went (Watched a hunter across the valley stare the opposite way of them for an hour. If he only knew to turn around and hike through a small crop of trees!) But I feel like most of my hunts are just long hikes holding a bow. Not complaining, but I think my restlessness plays against me sometimes. I always hear about these guys chasing a herd or a bugal, but how many of you guys just find a nice field with some sign and sit out the days there?
It’s not glorious, but water is so effective (especially in the SW). Just be 100% that the elk are beating it up before you commit to it. I have never sat in a meadow or saddle just waiting, which seems like it’d be better served doing with a rifle. Someone in here said call and wait - this can be good, but it is so tough to be patient calling. Bulls will often times come in quiet.

Fullfan

WKR
Not us, this year in Idaho my son and I covered 148 miles in 15 days. Resulting in our dead bulls, and two guys that could keep up also shot bulls. setting and waiting is not hunting..

Sitting water worked for me…sometimes it makes sense to sit down instead of running every animal off the mountain.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just got back from Az and all but 2 elk that were shot or killed that I know of were from sitting water.
In AZ, lots of elk and deer die from sitting water. It’s a solid tactic.

My first archery elk hunt this year, I chased in the am and sat water in the afternoon mostly. Only saw a spike, bear, and bobcat on three different nights. Most were nothing.

Last day I ended up shooting a bull I ran after that ended up being 700 yards from camp—after I had sat water that morning for a couple hours, hoping to catch them. I was tired and a little discouraged, but kept trying something.

Wapiti, what unit? If you don’t mind sharing.