How many hunting rifles do you have?

jps-pa

FNG
Sometimes I’ll buy one because I need a particular caliber, action, barrel length, light weight, all weather, etc…

Two main rifles for medium to large game, with another one that could pressed into service for medium game if needed.

Plus any number of smaller caliber or semi-autos that could be used for coyote and other small game hunting.

I have a total of 3.

One is a 300wm, another is a 308 which is basically a backup gun/ something I plan to give my kid once he’s old enough to go hunting, and another is a lever action 45/70 which I use for hunting a few areas with very thick timber and brush.

TSnave

FNG
More than I can use, even if I used a different one for each tag I have. Maybe someday I'll sell some, but Dad always told me, "Never sell a rifle. You'll just end up buying it again." Not always true but for me it usually has been.

Once I hunt a few years with a rifle I have a tough time selling it off. Its part of my memories of good times hunting. So I don't buy as many new rifles as I would like to. I’m always saying I need to sell the ones I dont use to use the cash to buy new rifles and scopes but I never do sell them. I admit its not very practical but just the way it is.

I have 3 center fire hunting rifles, but they are all gifted or borrowed (read free!). All long action, wood stock, with blued steel.

7mm Rem Mag, Kleinguenther K15, gift from my Dad when I started hunting more after college. Grandpa liked these guns, he had a 300WM, Dad had a 7mm RM and they had an extra new in box that got passed to me.
25-06, Rem 700 ADL on long term loan from my uncle since he quit hunting in retirement. Backup gun.
264 Win Mag, Winchester M70 XTR push feed on loan from Grandpa's safe. No one else in the family reloads so they are not going to bother hunting ammo for it. Not sure why I'm bothering with this one because slow powders and magnum primers are rare and extremely expensive. But he already had the dies and a little brass, so I figured, why let it sit in the safe neglected. It is a nice rifle to be sure.

I bought a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creed as a practice/target rifle. I thought about taking it hunting, but it's 12lb kitted out and just much more bulky than the others to bother with. One day I'll have a 35 Whelen, poor man's big bore, to get a taste for the big bullet moving slow. I think it will be fun to try. I'll convert a bunch of the 30-06 brass I've scavenged from the shooting range.

I’m down to 2, a Browning BAR in 30/06 that is kind of a gift/forever loaner from my dad that I shot a huge buck with and a 6.5 tikka in a rokstok that is now my main hunting rifle for everything.

I guess technically I have an SBR I stalk yotes with at night, idk if that counts

wyosam

WKR
It’s like eating at a restaurant - variety isn’t a bad thing, even though we all have favorites for different meals, holidays, or special occasions.

I’ve finally gifted or sold all my centerfire rifles except for one, with multiple barrels. Already I miss a second rifle - it’s a pain in the ass to zero all the time.

At a minimum a 243 varmints/trainer and 7 mag served me well through the years. A 22-250 has always been the first choice for varmints big and small.

The .338 was added in high school for elk. Now, the .338 would only be used in the timber. A 300 PRC is my new general purpose elk round.

A 6.5 PRC would be a good backup for the 7 mag, but I no longer have a backup. A 270 makes me think of 8th grade and chasing deer and antelope for the first time. The 22 creed has taken over for coyotes. A 6br is this year’s trainer.

If I’m fishing in Alaska an iron sighted 375 H&H won’t be far. A 30-06 will always remind me of an acquaintance who shot a polar bear with one.

204 Ruger will be next year’s flavor for small varmints. A newly acquired 25-06 mountain rifle barrel reminds me of a dear friend. The 284, 7mm-08, 30 br, 308, 6.5 creed, 6.5-284, 6mm-06, and 300 ultra mag are like the cousin you don’t pic as a first choice - they are always there, but may never be invited to come along.

The 458 - because every boy who owned a Red Rider BB gun also wanted an elephant gun.

A super accurate old timey octagon 30-40 Kraig or 30-30 barrel would be fun to spank the nephews with while shooting rocks. I’m also looking for a 17 Remington barrel since dad and his friends killed everything in Alaska with it. I’ve never owned a 35 caliber, wouldn’t mind one of those - same for 9.3mm. Another good friend had an 8mm rem, and my oldest friend has always used the 264 win so those barrels would have meaning even if I didn’t hunt with ‘em.

The problem with having one gun is the number of barrels is ridiculous. Lol

It helps if you have two identical one-guns with a bunch of barrels. It’s like having one, since they’re identical, but helps a little with the constant re-zeroing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
-30-06 x2
-6.5 creed x2
-375HH x2
-308 x1
-22lr x3

I used to have a lot more but I’ve slowly let a few trickle out of the collection over the past ~ 2 years. Down south in my dad’s safe I probably have 20 more rifles but I have no intention of bringing them up here at the moment so they are basically his. At some point I’ll have to figure out what to do with them but I just don’t have much use for non stainless rifles or wood stocked rifles. Back then I could hunt the desert with blued wood rifles. Not so much up here in Ak.

TaperPin

WKR
It helps if you have two identical one-guns with a bunch of barrels. It’s like having one, since they’re identical, but helps a little with the constant re-zeroing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re right about that! I’ve been on the lookout for another old Remington receiver. It’s been a ton of fun teasing the kids and nephews that this receiver only cost $200, so I’m hoping to get another under $300 so both of ‘em together are less than one of their cheap ones. Lol