How many days do you give yourself to harvest an elk each year?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
From my past history I figure I need an average of 9 days during archery season in general OTC units to give me a solid chance at a mature bull. 2012 required about 14 days until I was presented a broadside shot at a 6pt bull at 16 yds. During those 14 days I had 10+ branch antlered bulls inside of 24 yds, but none of them presented the shot I was looking for or were not the right bull. 2011 I hunted 16 days and only had 1 good opportunity during archery season and I blew that one. 2010 required 13 days until I took my archery bull and 2009 8 days. How many days will you alot for yourself in the 2013 season to harvest your ELK?

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
This year will be my first year and I'm giving myself 10 hunting days 2 days driving and 2 rest days on my return. I wish I was leaving tomorrow!!!!! I can't wait!!!

bobhunts

WKR
I always take the last two weeks of archery season off and the first two weekends with a monday off following. I'm lucky enough to live where I can take the first two weekends and an extra day to do something close to home. If those areas are beaten up I move for my two week trip to somewhere I will have better luck on an OTC tag. Usually on a two week trip I can get it done on something, except for 2011. Just was a bad year for me and all of the guys I know. Bob.

Rocky

WKR
From my past history I figure I need an average of 9 days during archery season in general OTC units to give me a solid chance at a mature bull. 2012 required about 14 days until I was presented a broadside shot at a 6pt bull at 16 yds. During those 14 days I had 10+ branch antlered bulls inside of 24 yds, but none of them presented the shot I was looking for or were not the right bull. 2011 I hunted 16 days and only had 1 good opportunity during archery season and I blew that one. 2010 required 13 days until I took my archery bull and 2009 8 days. How many days will you alot for yourself in the 2013 season to harvest your ELK?

Ross I'm guessing with see that many elk you are not hunting wa. Am I correct?

Scoot

WKR
On my first elk hunt it too about two hours on the first day. It also took me 'til the last hour of the last day of a nine day trip one year. This past season I shot one on the third morning of hunting.

2rocky

WKR
I usually will take a Week off from work, and it is a 2 day drive to and from our elk area. That leaves me 5 days to hunt. Not Ideal, but it has worked for the last few years.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As Ryan noted, I primarily am hunting NIdaho. It has been my go to area for 33 yrs now...I will say I cover alot of miles, am very aggressive on calling and not afraid to go to many different areas/drainages if they are not talking in one area, I am off to another one. There are still plenty of elk in Idaho and they have changed their bugling patterns when wolves are in the area. That being said, 2 of the last 3 years have provided some of my best bugling activity over the 30+ years.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I like to have at least 10 days. Gives you time to make adjustments to your plans and a few days to really locate and pattern elk. I remember rifle hunting elk in AZ when I was growing up and that was always just a quick 2 day weekend trip. Man, i miss those days!

Swede

WKR
I scout for several days in July or August, then set up camp 4 or 5 days before the season opens. The season is 30 days here in Oregon. I have killed elk on the first morning and at the last hour of the last day. Some years I can take my pick of elk. Some years I do well to just get one. On average, it takes me about 10 days to git-er-done.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I live in OK, a state with virtually no elk in the wild and the only means to hunt them is a very limited draw for a hunt in a game reserve in the SW part of the state. Folks wait years to get drawn and I have long since give up even trying. As a result, the closest states for elk hunting are CO or New Mexico. Sadly, I only have a total of 5 or 7 days a year to both scout and hunt an area. To increase our odds, my hunting buddy and i usually do semi-guided hunts.

KMT

WKR
I always plan to hunt every weekend of the season in addition to a 9 day hunt (sat - sun).

MT_Nate

FNG
i give myself every day/morning/evening I can. With two high school aged kids in fall athletics and activities, I have to make sure I'm around once in awhile to support them, so the weekend-warrior plan has had to do the past few years. The time of 10-straight days in the field will come again when they're on their own, but for now I'm happy maintaining the balance...every chance in the field that I'm not missing time with my kids tastes that much better.

OR Archer

WKR
Well working in an archery shop where everyone bow hunts means my time gets limited to about one week. Might sneak in a weekend hunt here in there but its usually just a week of elk for me.