How many are using a Sport SXS for hunting access, which one and your experience?

Tmac

WKR
I use a Pioneer 500. Not the sportiest or fastest, but it will go anywhere and haul two deer quartered. It’s perfect on tight trails, yet on long flats I’ve hit 40mph. Kolpin gun case strapped overhead, and when my kid can go with me carries two plus gear no issues. I needed a 50” machine and I just decided it was most practical. It is transportation to and from hunting, taking me to the most inaccessible spots on the mountain.
Similar. Pioneer 520, fits in back of a full sized truck too.

Mine just came back from a successful cow elk hunt. It worked well shuttling us. Especially in manual mode in 2nd and 3rd under light throttle. Was very quiet for a stock utv.
Always debated getting a 520 vs an ATV. How’s it do on steeper/more treacherous trails compared to how an ATV might handle them?

Tmac

WKR
Always debated getting a 520 vs an ATV. How’s it do on steeper/more treacherous trails compared to how an ATV might handle them?
I just used it on ranch roads. General point a to b to get to where we wanted to start a hike to hunt.

But my take is it‘s a trade off between a longer wheel base to minimize crow hops, for less stability on off camber stuff. I've had a few scares with an atv on level ground with an obstacle where it crow hopped and nearly rolled over and once with my son on a downhill bouncing on a 6” rock and rolling over.

So I went for the roll cage and lap shoulder belts. But I’d think the atv with a lower center of gravity is better for off camber stuff, otherwise I prefer the utv. The break over capability of my utv is less due to the longer wheel base. This is for my relatively small narrow Pioneer 520 vs my old 2001 Honda 300 atv 4x4 which is also relatively small. No experience with larger units of either type.

Well I hope this works out,wife and I pulled the trigger on a 23 teryx4 s , and since it was a left over the dealership had major discounts going on and added the extra 3 year factory warranty extension for a great price, so we ended up with 6 years of total warranty.

Attachments

• 20231002_173042.jpg
    20231002_173042.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 34

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Well I hope this works out,wife and I pulled the trigger on a 23 teryx4 s , and since it was a left over the dealership had major discounts going on and added the extra 3 year factory warranty extension for a great price, so we ended up with 6 years of total warranty.
Very capable rig, but very loud and very hot.

Weldor

WKR
I have a Can am Pro xt great with the large bed. My friends Rzr 4 dr rides 1000% better, just not alot of room for gear.

Gone4Days

WKR
Mine just came back from a successful cow elk hunt. It worked well shuttling us. Especially in manual mode in 2nd and 3rd under light throttle. Was very quiet for a stock utv.
If you’re having rough shifting in AT mode do a quick clutch adjustment. Lots of videos on how to do it and literally takes 30 seconds and a screwdriver. Made my shifting 100% better/smoother

Tmac

WKR
If you’re having rough shifting in AT mode do a quick clutch adjustment. Lots of videos on how to do it and literally takes 30 seconds and a screwdriver. Made my shifting 100% better/smoother
No issues shifting. Using manual mode in those two gears it what I found worked for the least noise. Elk hate the sound of an atv or utv, ime, especially the loud popping.

jhoff04

FNG
I have the same machine. It's a freakin' Billy Goat, w/ Yamaha reliability.
Still have the Yamaha Wolverine and performing well? I stumbled across a good deal on a 2021 RMAX XTR. Currently have a '14 Commander and it's prone to blowing belts and throws check engine light on at higher elevations. I don't like the newer models and our servicing canam dealer in town is a pain to work with... so looking to switch between the Yamaha or Polaris.

Archery22

FNG
Bought a Canam Maverick XDs excellent SXS but not for hunting 145hp and no room for packing, but it sure was fun. Look into a Canam commander XMR or any of the commander models

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Still have the Yamaha Wolverine and performing well? I stumbled across a good deal on a 2021 RMAX XTR. Currently have a '14 Commander and it's prone to blowing belts and throws check engine light on at higher elevations. I don't like the newer models and our servicing canam dealer in town is a pain to work with... so looking to switch between the Yamaha or Polaris.
Yes I do, and yes it is. We're getting ready for a week ride down in WV on the HMT system in early May. Can't wait. Haven't had a problem with it yet (I hope I didn't just jynx myself, LOL). I have put a fair amount of mods on it so that it meets my needs better now. The area it lacks the most in I think would be the suspension. It's okay, but no great. Good luck!

jhoff04

FNG
Yes I do, and yes it is. We're getting ready for a week ride down in WV on the HMT system in early May. Can't wait. Haven't had a problem with it yet (I hope I didn't just jynx myself, LOL). I have put a fair amount of mods on it so that it meets my needs better now. The area it lacks the most in I think would be the suspension. It's okay, but no great. Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback and good luck with the trip! I test-drove one yesterday and was surprised at how loud it was in the cab (looked at a four-seater for the kids). If you have any mods for noise reduction, let me know. I was reading some off-road forums about guys scabbing on some DIY muffler systems.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback and good luck with the trip! I test-drove one yesterday and was surprised at how loud it was in the cab (looked at a four-seater for the kids). If you have any mods for noise reduction, let me know. I was reading some off-road forums about guys scabbing on some DIY muffler systems.
The four seaters are very popular, with good reason. I actually put an aftermarket muffler on mine, and had it reflashed. It's much snappier now, and a fair amount louder. If I were to buy a new SXS today I would be looking at the new Wolverine X2 "1000". It's a very powerful motor! Not sure if it's available yet as an X4 though. If not, it will be prolly next year. Good luck! PFA.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.JPEG
    IMG_0641.JPEG
    526.1 KB · Views: 24
My buddy has a rmax and to dull the noise he packed shipping blankets behind the seats, he says it made a difference....but idk I've got a teryx and it's basically the same engine arrangement and yeah it's noisy but after a while I don't notice it and I'm used to riding piped sleds and Harleys so no biggy,the kids put in ear pods and listen to music so they really don't notice.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Would be nice if Yamaha made a 50”.
I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me. This is what happens with 50" SXS's. On one of our HMT trips the same Can Am 50" Trail Maverick rolled over twice in two days. Both times he was traveling less than 5-10 mph. No thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1737.JPEG
    IMG_1737.JPEG
    588.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1760.JPEG
    IMG_1760.JPEG
    547.6 KB · Views: 22

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Would be nice if Yamaha made a 50”.
Here's some pics of two different Polaris 50" SXS's on our TN trip last year. All 50 inch'ers a VERY tippy. I'm sure they'd be fine if you always rode on flat, level ground...but we rarely do.

Attachments

• IMG_0670.JPEG
    IMG_0670.JPEG
    764.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0668.JPEG
    IMG_0668.JPEG
    672.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3166.JPEG
    IMG_3166.JPEG
    543.3 KB · Views: 27