How many are using a Sport SXS for hunting access, which one and your experience?

Hi All,

As the title says, are you using a sport sxs (versus more utility oriented) to access your spots to start hiking or glass?

What's been your experience with it regarding ability to use a sport model vs. utility model?

So many folks talk about using a utility vehicle for hunting, but then I see pics of whole animals in the back. In that case, the big bed makes total sense, but I imagine many folks here will quarter their game in the field so the huge bed isn't needed.

Do you run a roof rack with it?

Cheers,

S

Jbehredt

WKR
We use an arctic cat wildcat for hunting. Works great. Bow/gun case mounted to the back of the roll cage. The bed is big enough for backpacks OR quarters. When the bed is full of meat packs fit in the cab. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the truck and gets us in much quicker. We went with a 50” because a few trails we use are width restricted. It’s also been a blast down in the Ouray area on all of the Jeep trails. Makes easy work of those.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned
Honda pioneer 500
Honda pioneer 1000
Can am maverick trail 1000 50”
Can am defender

They are pros and cons to all of them. I do love a 50” because it can go anywhere and more importantly it fits in box of truck. The utility has a more upright seating position which is a bit better for hunting

gearguywb

WKR
The all around type machines, IMHO are the best of both worlds.

Polaris General
Kawasaki Teryx
Honda Pioneer 1K

I have had the last two and have used them on annual trips out west to have fun, trail ride and just enjoy it. I also use them for sporting clays where we fill the bed with ammo, coolers, etc., as well as hunting. Work well for both scenarios.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i use a polaris rzr 800s, the 60" will fit in the back of truck (but its tight) and they are so smooth to drive down bush roads, have yet to pack meat in it but it wouldnt be a issue. Keeps wear and tear off my truck

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
The sport machines are way more comfortable and you can cover ground faster. Bigger tires and better suspension makes everything easier and smoother. IMO the only reason to buy a utility is if you need to haul dirt and stuff around in the dump bed. I’m NOT a Polaris guy but a 4 seat rzr would be hard to beat for hunting. X3s are impressive but a 4 seat is very long and would be harder to maneuver. Any 4 seat sport machine would work. I’ve seen nothing but trouble from wildcats in our circle and would avoid them like the plague.

jlh42581

WKR
The sport machines are way more comfortable and you can cover ground faster. Bigger tires and better suspension makes everything easier and smoother. IMO the only reason to buy a utility is if you need to haul dirt and stuff around in the dump bed. I’m NOT a Polaris guy but a 4 seat rzr would be hard to beat for hunting. X3s are impressive but a 4 seat is very long and would be harder to maneuver. Any 4 seat sport machine would work. I’ve seen nothing but trouble from wildcats in our circle and would avoid them like the plague.

I agree mostly with what you say but a razor 4 seater is almost impossible to get an adult in the back seat. The canam maverick sport is what we are ordering at christmas. Currently have a 2 seat HD5 we are not selling either. Its much smaller for plowing the driveway and such. 90% of my friends who own 4 seaters are in the yamaha or kawasaki, mainly cause they dont wanna drop 30k.

I looked hard at the general too. Man thats a bad machine but seen too many polaris things over the years.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I agree mostly with what you say but a razor 4 seater is almost impossible to get an adult in the back seat. The canam maverick sport is what we are ordering at christmas. Currently have a 2 seat HD5 we are not selling either. Its much smaller for plowing the driveway and such. 90% of my friends who own 4 seaters are in the yamaha or kawasaki, mainly cause they dont wanna drop 30k.

I looked hard at the general too. Man thats a bad machine but seen too many polaris things over the years.
I’m not sure what rzr you have experience with but I’m 6’7” 240lbs and have rode in the back of a few friends xp1k and it works. It may not be the most comfortable thing but I can get in there. I consider the back seat primarily for gear as I wouldn’t usually have 3+ people going hunting but if needed I don’t know anyone who couldn’t squeeze in the back. I had a teryx4 and they are reliable but very little suspension travel and low on power at 800cc. I understand the money thing and that’s why my play sxs was a Yamaha yxz for 5 years. Paid 17k for it new when they first came out and drove it hard for 5 years and just changed fluids pretty much.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned
Honda pioneer 500
Honda pioneer 1000
Can am maverick trail 1000 50”
Can am defender

They are pros and cons to all of them. I do love a 50” because it can go anywhere and more importantly it fits in box of truck. The utility has a more upright seating position which is a bit better for hunting
How would you compare the Pioneer 1000 to the Defender. I currently have a P1k 5 seat, and am considering moving to the defender for a bigger cab and bed. I don’t like noise though, and the Pioneer is fairly quiet, plus it will go ANYWHER.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
How would you compare the Pioneer 1000 to the Defender. I currently have a P1k 5 seat, and am considering moving to the defender for a bigger cab and bed. I don’t like noise though, and the Pioneer is fairly quiet, plus it will go ANYWHER.
I preferred the pioneer 500 over the 1000 by along shot. The can am sxs have a bit nicer fit and finish and I would say they are quieter then the P1000. No question the honda will likely last longer and the honda is a shaft drive vs a belt on the can am. I sold my maverick trail 1000 and bought the defender 800. It has a bit less power but it’s very smooth and really quiet. One thing about can am sxs is the don’t rattle like the honda do.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that. Yep the Honda has some rattles. I need the 3 across seating, so it’s Pioneer 1000 or Can Am. Is the 800 quieter than the 1000, or do you know? Thx, sorry to jump on another guys thread.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
We run a Rzr XP900 4 seater, works great with no issues. Will go anywhere you need it to. Plenty of room for gear, quarters, and coolers. Also have a friend with a Teryx. It also works extremely well. No real difference between running a sport versus utility style. I like the sport as its a little more versatle.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Buddies used one in MT a couple of years ago that a member of their party had. They hated it! Basically the mud flew everywhere and literally coated everyone and everything the first trip out. For the remainder of the trip they all wanted to be in one of the utility machines. The dude who owned the machine and one other unlucky member of their party basically rigged a tarp to keep the mud off the best they could. They said it was miserable traveling into their spots.

I've got a 2012 RZR 800 50" I bought used with 100 km on it in 2014. Use it for bear hunting in the spring...spot and stalk so go to glassing points or areas I want to still hunt on old forest service roads, timber cuts, etc. Works out very well and has plenty of room for packing out bear quarters, carrying the bow, etc. I mostly hunt solo but can do two of us in it.

We've made a several trips into remote back county in northern BC as well. Stacked the back very high with food and gear, filed the front passenger area with stuff too. It gets around very well and often is used for drive out destinations to go walk for the day.

Decent rig for what I use it for. Gets the same fuel economy as my Yamaha 550 Grizzly that we tow a trailer with into the back country. In bad weather the RZR is alot more comfortable.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that. Yep the Honda has some rattles. I need the 3 across seating, so it’s Pioneer 1000 or Can Am. Is the 800 quieter than the 1000, or do you know? Thx, sorry to jump on another guys thread.
I’m pretty sure the 800 defender is quieter then the 1000 defender. Obviously the 1000 has more power but it’s just more snappy and not as smooth. Forsure the 800 can am is smoother then the honda

cgasner1

WKR
If you need a50” machine pretty much have to go sport my maverick trail has closed cab and a heater it’s pretty nice for what I use it for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Me, and my hunting buddy, run Yamaha Wolverine R-Specs. It's in between a Sport and Utility. It's not as fast as a Sport, and doesn't haul as much as the Utility, but it's way more nimble in the woods than both. Yamaha is known for reliability and has an industry leading 10-year warranty on their belts! You won't find that anywhere else. It is one of the quietest SXS's on the market, if not THE quietest, plus no heat in the cab like some of the other brands. It climbs like a damn billy-goat, and it works great for hunting! We took them to WY for Antelope last fall and they performed flawlessly.

Good luck with whatever you pick.

IMG_8017.jpegIMG_7995.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
L
Sweet, thanks all for sharing! It's always nice to get some perspective in addition to the people who may be most outspoken online in their comments. In various forums so many of the folks who talk more openly about their hunting rigs have and profess using a Utility biased sxs for hunting.

What everyone is saying here makes more sense to me. Clearly all types can be used just fine, whether Utility, Sport or Combo. While Utility focused ones are of course good, the Sport ones have their values too, with the "limitations" so often quoted of not enough room/storage/utility for hunting possibly being focused on a different style of hunting than what most people here may do.

Thanks,

s