How long would it take for you to give up?

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Killing elk is one thing. Seeing them is another.

If I wasn't seeing them, then I would suggest they go on a guided hunt. My intuition tells me they aren't very patient and/or willing to glass or glass at the right times.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Knowing myself, I would never quit. I honestly have issues with becoming obsessed with something that I am not succeeding at, especially when I know that other people are having success. For instance, this year I drove 8 hours for a day trip to scout for bears and hunted 3 weekends, all during college football games for which my girlfriend cheered (she was not thrilled as it is our senior year, but she understands). I never saw a bear, despite hiking miles and miles, giving my every effort, and even speaking with some other hunters who confirmed that there were plenty of bear in the area. My season is over now, but I have already finished another book on bear hunting and have been relentlessly practicing my predator calling. I have called to talk to other hunters in the area, trying to map out the elevations where they had luck and already e-scouting my maps for next year. When I can't make it happen, it just makes me go even crazier about it! Plus, it makes it SO much more worth it when it finally comes together. After spending 5 years missing buck after buck with my bow and having people constantly rag me for hunting with my bow during rifle season, when I finally put a good shot on my nice 8-pt whitetail last year I have never felt that kind of emotion. Worth every second of struggle. Probably TMI, but in my opinion quitting is for people who have never felt true success.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
Knowing myself, I would never quit. I honestly have issues with becoming obsessed with something that I am not succeeding at, especially when I know that other people are having success. For instance, this year I drove 8 hours for a day trip to scout for bears and hunted 3 weekends, all during college football games for which my girlfriend cheered (she was not thrilled as it is our senior year, but she understands). I never saw a bear, despite hiking miles and miles, giving my every effort, and even speaking with some other hunters who confirmed that there were plenty of bear in the area. My season is over now, but I have already finished another book on bear hunting and have been relentlessly practicing my predator calling. I have called to talk to other hunters in the area, trying to map out the elevations where they had luck and already e-scouting my maps for next year. When I can't make it happen, it just makes me go even crazier about it! Plus, it makes it SO much more worth it when it finally comes together. After spending 5 years missing buck after buck with my bow and having people constantly rag me for hunting with my bow during rifle season, when I finally put a good shot on my nice 8-pt whitetail last year I have never felt that kind of emotion. Worth every second of struggle. Probably TMI, but in my opinion quitting is for people who have never felt true success.
I can sympathize. I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment and quitting something (that can be good) is hard for me. I remember learning about quitting as a kid, and it had a profound impact on me...still does, right or wrong.