How long have you been at your current job?

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
A WILD 4 years. Before here I had a useless Criminal Justice degree for a career in Law Enforcement that as I finished up my degree I realized Id loathe life as an officer of anything. So I felt stuck and kinda hopeless as to what I was gunna make of my life.

Started here as a material handler. Within 2 months of that I got promoted to Technician making great money. A year after that I got promoted to tech 2 which is a 6-figure job working a day of OT from time to time. The company is now paying for 3/4 of schooling I went back for to become an Electrician Technician which is above 60 an hr, more in coming years from cost-of-living increases.

I have 5 weeks vacation. Work an extremely hunting friendly 3on 3off schedule, so I only work half the year to begin with.

They say you owe your employer nothing, but in my case i cannot agree

Wolfshead

FNG
35 years....im retiring December 31st.
Congratulations!
If I may offer some advice….
You may want to get something lined up to do that will keep you busy if you already don’t.
My first year was a learning curve, and I’d been making knives and doing leatherwork on the side before retiring.
Also, I was a school teacher and football coach for my 33 years and it was somewhat of a transition for me, going from having friends and colleagues around a lot to being alone A LOT.
My wife gets home from work now, and she’ll say that it’s very quiet, and I’m thinking this is what it’s always like….😜

JohnDough

FNG
Congratulations!
If I may offer some advice….
You may want to get something lined up to do that will keep you busy if you already don’t.
My first year was a learning curve, and I’d been making knives and doing leatherwork on the side before retiring.
Also, I was a school teacher and football coach for my 33 years and it was somewhat of a transition for me, going from having friends and colleagues around a lot to being alone A LOT.
My wife gets home from work now, and she’ll say that it’s very quiet, and I’m thinking this is what it’s always like….😜
Posts like this are wild. I can't WAIT to retire and retreat to my house and not leave.

Crusader

WKR
I'm retiring end of next month after 15 years as a civilian working for Air Force environmental/civil engineering, most recently doing natural resources management. Spent about 20 years prior to that in the private sector doing environmental engineering/compliance. Looking forward to retirement, have lots of plans and goals!

ScottP76

FNG
A bit over 17 years in, 8yrs 4 days 9 hours left to go. Will do 25 yrs and retiring at 52. Kept on saying I was going to look at different agencies for years. But high on Seniority list and close to maxed out on PTO so I guess I'll stay lol.

Scoot

WKR
25 years this month. I've had half-a-dozen roles, but all the same place. I like what I do and will work another decade or more. I'd like to stay where I'm at, but who knows...

Wolfshead

FNG
Posts like this are wild. I can't WAIT to retire and retreat to my house and not leave.
Trust me, I highly recommend retirement!
I can’t imagine having to have that daily commitment of being at work again.
It was just a transition is all.

Started in the financial services business in '98 and opened my firm in 2005 so I guess 26 years? I don't feel that old at 47.