How long do you hide new toys from the wife?

SDHNTR

WKR
You high and mighty guys make me laugh.

I buy what I want and my wife does too. Neither one of us says a word to the other about it. But of course if it were putting the family finances in jeopardy, that would be another issue.

OP
E

Elc1973

FNG
It's more of a joke than anything my wife gets what she wants and so do I. We never jeopardize our finances in order to get the things we want. But on the other hand she doesn't think I need more hunting gear!

colonel00

WKR
While I agree that dishonesty is probably not the best for a relationship, I also believe that timing is everything. Before you announce a new purchase of significance, you had better be sure it hasn't been "the worst day ever" again.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I've only hidden money from my wife once. I tucked away $20 every time I went to the ATM for about two years, I used the cash to buy her a new diamond for our 10th wedding anniversary. She doesn't usually do much more than roll her eyes at me when I want to buy new hunting gear or anything else.

shaun

WKR
I have never had to. Like I tell her I work hard to play harder. I am the only bread winner under our roof as she is a stay at home mom so she has never really said anything

jmez

WKR

I buy what I want and my wife does too. Neither one of us says a word to the other about it. But of course if it were putting the family finances in jeopardy, that would be another issue.

I tend to look at it as simple respect for another person rather than high and mighty.

I've never had to either. A couple years ago I set up an account at the credit union titled "Hunting Fund". The gals at the CU got a chuckle out of it as they've never seen an account "just for hunting". However, I rat hole money in that account and when I purchase my hunting items there's no issues because it gets taken out of my hunting fund.

We're using Dave Ramsey's budget advice, so this definitely helps us out living debt free.

boom

WKR
I don't hide anything. If I did have to, not so sure I would have gotten married. We discuss big purchases. Win some
, lose some.
If I had to hide anything, I'd just put it in the kitchen or next to the vacumn cleaner. Not my fault she never goes there. Haha

littlebuf

Banned

not high and mighty. but take a step back and look at the original post or even just the concept if you will. "hey guys to what extent do you guys like to lie to your wife?" i realize thats not the intention of the post but if you boil it down thats kinda what were talking about. and its just a bad precedent to have in a marriage. little things can build to big things. now this may come off as "high and mighty" but i try to live every aspect of my life with honesty and not let deceit or dishonesty take a foot hold in my life or my marriage, its just good a practice

WV Dan

FNG
Never hide a purchase from my wife. No point, a marriage should be built on honesty and trust. It may seem small or insignificant but honesty matters. And giving dishonesty or mistrust a foot hold, even a small one can be potentially damaging to your marriage. Just some food for thought

Amen littlebuf. I have 2 lawyers on the wifes side of the family, I can't afford alomony or child support and don't want to lose 1/2 of everything I have.

Why would I hide a hunting gear purchase, when it's that very hunting that fills our freezer? That said, I do tend to NOT use household $$ to buy my gear... or at least I did when we were young and $$'s harder to come by. If I wanted something, I found a way to pay for it on the side. I did gunsmithing, sold bulk reloaded ammo (friends & family of course), worked over time, cut firewood, horse traded guns & gear, etc. Never have I bought excessively, or over paid for anything. If I say something was a good buy my wife accepts it as just that, $$$'s saved. Now that I'm older w/ $$'s in the bank making me more $$'s, it's not so important to self fund gear purchases, but it once was.

Right now I'm looking at a couple horses. Glad I don't have to try and hide them. (wink)
Hunt'nFish

Wrongside

WKR
Never hide a purchase from my wife. No point, a marriage should be built on honesty and trust. It may seem small or insignificant but honesty matters. And giving dishonesty or mistrust a foot hold, even a small one can be potentially damaging to your marriage. Just some food for thought

This.

Mtnboy

WKR
My wife hunts with me occasionally and also spends a lot of time outdoors herself, she "gets it" so she understands the value in buying quality and that sometimes that means paying a little more.

With that being said, she doesn't need to know every time I upgrade a piece of gear and I don't need to know when she buys some clothes or whatever else it is women spend money on haha. we both know the other would never spend $$ that is going to jeopardize us financially at all, so it's all good in my hood.

I do not really hide new gear. I do how ever lie sometimes about how much it cost. Really not much difference I guess. I know for a fact that she has clothes she claims have been in her closet for years that are in fact new. Its a game most husbands wife's play and I do not distrust my wife because she splurged on another shirt or pair of shoes.

leftyokie

FNG
Did my wife call?? Tell her I'm not here :/ LOL . I don't hide what I buy but I usually have to explain the buy once idea a lot! I told her I'm buying the nomad and that it was aron's fault... so she can take it up with him! Lol

tttoadman

WKR
Mine said she was going to throw the laptop out the window if i didn't quit buying #$#$.

I definitely do my research, and the pile of product data sheets on the table gives her a clue that something will be coming soon. She thought she was off the hook until a big box of pro-bars showed up in the mail last month. I told her it was 1/3 less than i paid last summer. She has also come to the realization that there is only hunting season and scouting season without too much in between.

She is beginning to hate Roksliders in general, because the more time i spend on this forum the more delays she sees on the home improvement ideas she has.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine said she was going to throw the laptop out the window if i didn't quit buying #$#$.

I definitely do my research, and the pile of product data sheets on the table gives her a clue that something will be coming soon. She thought she was off the hook until a big box of pro-bars showed up in the mail last month. I told her it was 1/3 less than i paid last summer. She has also come to the realization that there is only hunting season and scouting season without too much in between.

She is beginning to hate Roksliders in general, because the more time i spend on this forum the more delays she sees on the home improvement ideas she has.

Yes yes my wife is in the same boat with rokslide/hunting research affect me doing the honey do list, but a cobbler's kids wear no shoes.

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
if she knows i want something thats spendy she will just say to save a little check money at a time and if it goes on sale just go for it, other then that she pays me to help her with her business (which iv told her a million times not to) so she knows where most of my money helping her goes, if not she usually just gets it for me. never should you hide anything from your ol lady tho thats bad juju all over it, she gets more mad when i keep something secret, even if its for her and i spent good $ on it. but other then that sense getting out of racing motocross and not dropping a few hundred to a few grand a month racing/riding, she has no problems with me spending money on a sport thats safer if im out there doing what i love especially when she gets to join.