How light is too light?

I know this subject has probably been beat up somewhere on Rokslide but how light is too light? I was able to fondle the new Seekins Slam a couple weeks back and man do I want one (in a 6.5 PRC). That said, am I shooting myself in the foot by going this light? Even with a scope, rings, and bipod, I’m still just into the 8 pound range I’d guess. Can these type of guns still push the yardages out at the range or in a local match? Or are these lightweight guns just too unstable of a platform?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Light for a typical match, OK for an NRL Hunter.

How far are you going to shoot?

The recoil in a light gun is much harder to manage because it exploits the weaknesses in our form, technique, and position. Muzzle brake will help with spotting shots, but not movement in the nanosecond before the bullet leaves the barrel.

If a buddy needed a light gun at the weight you are talking, cause we’d be in the steep gnarly stuff, I am going to recommend a 6mm creed shooting 105-110 class bullets. Maybe something like the 6 UM and then the 115 DTACS.

I am not shooting a 6.5 magnum, cause it is just harder than I want in a light gun.

I shoot a 25 Sherman Short with 133 gr bullets in a 10 pound rifle and that’s max for me. My light

I have an element in 6.5PRC. It’s about 8.5lbs ready to go, suppressor/scope/loaded. I’m good to about 600 yards, after that it seems to be a pretty steep decline (field shooting). I’m sure that’s a skill issue, not the rifle. It’s going to depend on your skill level but obviously a heavier gun is going to be easier to stretch out in most cases.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have an element in 6.5PRC. It’s about 8.5lbs ready to go, suppressor/scope/loaded. I’m good to about 600 yards, after that it seems to be a pretty steep decline (field shooting). I’m sure that’s a skill issue, not the rifle. It’s going to depend on your skill level but obviously a heavier gun is going to be easier to stretch out in most cases.
Even skilled shooters have to focus harder because the shooter has to be dialed in for the shot. Light rifles are just plain harder to keep still while aiming. Then the issue with recoil.

TaperPin

WKR
I tend to think many accurate light weight guns are too often thought of and written about in terms of bench accuracy at the range - that’s what sells. Just going from 8-1/2 lbs to 7-1/2 lbs requires much more attention to shoot well, both over a pack or supported with flesh and bones, but it’s manageable. My 1/2 moa gun could be shot just as accurately with a 2 lb stock or 16 oz version, but shedding that pound ment everything, especially trigger control, had to be done well. Personally I wouldn’t be interested in a rifle under 7 lbs because for me it gives up too much in field accuracy - shooters are all different and someone who is naturally quite steady and puts in practice time could go lower, and a cousin of mine is naturally more shaky than average and a normal 8–1/2 lb gun is almost too light.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that sales of extra light triggers is way up - if someone has poor trigger technique and a light gun, the easiest way to decrease group size is a trigger so light it’s unsafe for hunting.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I tend to think many accurate light weight guns are too often thought of and written about in terms of bench accuracy at the range - that’s what sells. Just going from 8-1/2 lbs to 7-1/2 lbs requires much more attention to shoot well, both over a pack or supported with flesh and bones, but it’s manageable. My 1/2 moa gun could be shot just as accurately with a 2 lb stock or 16 oz version, but shedding that pound ment everything, especially trigger control, had to be done well. Personally I wouldn’t be interested in a rifle under 7 lbs because for me it gives up too much in field accuracy - shooters are all different and someone who is naturally quite steady and puts in practice time could go lower, and a cousin of mine is naturally more shaky than average and a normal 8–1/2 lb gun is almost too light.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that sales of extra light triggers is way up - if someone has poor trigger technique and a light gun, the easiest way to decrease group size is a trigger so light it’s unsafe for hunting.
Light triggers make for smaller groups on the bench but only cause problems in the field. I had TT diamonds turned down, but now run Primary or Specials cause I don’t need less than 1.5 pounds.

ianpadron

WKR
I usually have a Kimber of some variety strapped to my pack in the hills during the off season for busting rocks. Shooting off a pack, prone, they are plenty stable waaayyyyy out there.

Any other position, including off a tripod clamp you can tell you're dealing with a featherweight and things get tough, even in ideal conditions.

If I knew I wasn't carrying the rifle for miles and miles and wanted to be stable from as many contorted sub-optimal conditions as possible I'd have a gun in the 10-12 pound range

TaperPin

WKR
Light triggers make for smaller groups on the bench but only cause problems in the field. I had TT diamonds turned down, but now run Primary or Specials cause I don’t need less than 1.5 pounds.
I agree, that’s a good weight for accurate shooting.

khuber84

WKR
Long range confidence for me, is around 10# all up or heavier, minus bipod weight. Handful of years ago I built a 6.5 Saum on a ti action, 20" proof, McMillan edge, it was 7.5# all up. I was good out to 600y with it, and made some long range kills, but it was very unforgiving if you weren't 100%, on fundamentals. Even a moderate wind gust would blow the rifle around when prone with the spartan bipod.

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
My plinking rig that I use weighs about 14.5lbs in 22-250AI. My hunting 6.5CM is right at 12lbs. the 6CM shorty is right at 10lbs. My 6.5PRC comes in at 13.5 lbs.
After 14lbs, things get tough to manipulate from prone, but all of my guns seem to recoil about the same.
I use to have a 18" 6.5CM in a carbon stock that weighed 8lbs, no brake or suppressor. I thought I could pull it off since its such a low recoiling gun, but I just don't enjoy working so hard to be "perfect". Gave the gun to my dad that was use to a 9lbs 30-06, he thought it was a dream to shoot, and its his primary hunting gun now.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider

This is important. Every single person is going to be different in this aspect. I shoot my 8.5 lb 6.5 PRC out to 1200 very consistently with a 2.5 pound trigger. I also shoot my cousins 7 lb all in 30-06 out 800. My buddy who shoots just as much as me hates them, he doesn’t shoot a lightweight rifle well. He’s a better shot then me when we get on the heavy rifles though, it’s not that he’s a bad shot, it’s just a preference and personal fit. Just like boots.

If you have some friends who have a variety of rifles in different weights try to go shoot an ultralight set up and see what you think.

leachguy

FNG
About 9.5 lbs is where I shoot better. 7lbs all in, I can't shoot 2 MOA. 9.5 lbs and up I can do .5-1 depending on the rifle, but the guns are still better than I am. Some of my friends can shoot smaller groups with the same guns. I have poor form and fundamentals that I'm trying to straighten out to hopefully be able to shoot all guns better.

ianpadron

WKR
About 9.5 lbs is where I shoot better. 7lbs all in, I can't shoot 2 MOA. 9.5 lbs and up I can do .5-1 depending on the rifle, but the guns are still better than I am. Some of my friends can shoot smaller groups with the same guns. I have poor form and fundamentals that I'm trying to straighten out to hopefully be able to shoot all guns better.

2 biggest pointers that helped me start stacking tight groups with light rifles:

1) lighten the trigger as light as you can safely do so
2) focus on being directly in line behind your rifle and strive for an eyes closed natural point of aim that is aligned with the eyes open point of aim. This one in particular will give you all sorts of practical data in terms of force mapping and body positioning.

Every little bit of unequal force put into a 7 pound setup creates a larger reaction than that same force into a 10 pounder.