How important is a range finder?

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to be doing my first hunts since moving out west. I'm primarily targeting black bear right now and I'm gathering all the essential equipment. How important is a rangefinder? I'm hunting in Western Washington and will be glassing some. I am hunting with a 30-06 and I recognize that outside of 200 yards I won't be spot on when aiming, is this something that can't be rectified without a rangefinder?

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
it’s definitely useful, but you could get by without one. Just be good at stalking and move in closer

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You can also use your reticle graduation to determine distance. You will need to take target of a known size and using the graduation on your scope you can estimate distance. You can look up how to do it online. It may not be as accurate as range finder but out to 200 yards it will work. You should be able to get a decent range finder for under $200. Mine cost $149, and I compared it to my friends $500 unit, right on the money.

WCB

WKR
Depends on how far you want to shoot (or are capable of) and how good you are at ranging.

For me and being experienced in the mountains and various other types of terrain with a rifle I am very close 20yds or so out to 400. Past that rangefinder is needed. 300yds and under aim and shoot. (this is very simplified but anyways)

for 99% of shot opportunities they are not NEEDED. But ranging from you to an animal then a landmark in-between that may put you in range they are essential. Think more outside of the actual shot opportunity and I probably use my rangefinder more for those applications than the actual shot.

Personally, I'd get one to have the peace and mind of it. If you don't wanna spend the money on a new range finder you can buy a used one for pretty cheap. I know there are a lot of roksliders selling some at great prices

WKR

WKR
Bow hunting its Essential
Rifle, not as much if you shoot under 200 yards but still wouldn't go out without one

I'd say its completely optional. I hunted most of my life without one, and still don't use mine half the time I have it with me. Neat tool, and can be very handy but far from required to be a successful hunter. Most black bear shots are, or can be, well within 200 yards (most well within 100 yds I'd guess). My last black bear we glassed at probably 700 yds and shot at about 35. Range finder for black bear hunting is probably more useful in judging the size of the bear rather than determining holdover or dialing. Sight your 3006 in at 200 yds and call it good. If it seems too far away don't shoot. Pass or get closer. Have a great time and good luck on your hunt.

LightFoot

WKR
Thanks for all the responses! I'm now considering order this Crossfire HD from the Exchange. It's $162 shipped from there. Not as cheap as some, but I like Vortex's warranty.

That will get the job done. The $77 rangefinder recommended above will also get the job done. As important as having a rangefinder is know what your bullet does at each distance, both in terms of drop/wind and terminal performance.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sight your ‘06 in with a good 165 grain bullet, 2” high at 100 yards. Hold in the kill zone out to 300. And get a rangefinder to verify you aren’t over 300 yards.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone says it's worth it and I frankly agree. However, you can always test it for yourself. Go to the mountains or terrain you're planning on hunting and pick out a feature and guess the yardage. Download pretty much any fitness tracking app and then have it track you as you walk to your point. You'll get closer the more you do it but you'll likely never be great at it lol.

I would say, don't plan on relying solely on the range finder because batteries die. As long as you know your point blank range and can determine your target is inside that range then you're good enough to hunt.

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
I would say if you aren't very good at judging distances then it would be pretty important.

I have one, but I don't think it is too important. I can't judge yardage, either. I always stand hunt and have a very good idea of the distance from this tree to that. I generally use a range finder to get it though. I really don't like the idea of using one with a deer in close. I been busted bofore without that additional movement.

If you are stalking, I could see the real need. I just bought the Leupold and I really like it. I have a Bushnell, I will be selling later. For me a range finder is more practical with a rifle. Depending on what you are shooting and at what range they are darn handy. I wouldn't bother with one for an elk at 100 yards, at 300 yards, down hill, yeap, I going to range it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to be doing my first hunts since moving out west. I'm primarily targeting black bear right now and I'm gathering all the essential equipment. How important is a rangefinder? I'm hunting in Western Washington and will be glassing some. I am hunting with a 30-06 and I recognize that outside of 200 yards I won't be spot on when aiming, is this something that can't be rectified without a rangefinder?
Do you want to kill stuff or just want to be out in the woods?

If you want to be an effective killer, get a rangefinder.