How far south to hunt hogs?

kpk

WKR
I'm from MN - how far south do I need to go to find a decent hog hunting opportunity?

Hoping to find something that could be done in 4 or 5 days including drive time. I don't want to deal with flying.

Buck197

WKR
Missouri coming out of MN would be my suggestion, you could also go Kentucky or Tennessee probably. I would recommend Missouri though, and they root up pasture bad enough, people can be alot friendlier to hog huntin compared to deer access. Hogs are a huge problem in the entire Arklatex area, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana. Shoot on site in alot of places, just watch for ear notches or tags as alot trap em and ear notch em..pretty easy to spot em.

Buck197

WKR
Hell, I know quite a few running good dogs on em, can get it done in a day or two real easy, the hogs are a SERIOUS problem.

pirogue

WKR
Don’t take all above suggestions as gospel. My cousin has 2700 acres in southern Missouri(county borders Arkansas), and he has no hogs. Another relative has over 200 acres in southern KY, and has no hogs. Some places in north Arkansas have no hogs. My family has two different places in south Arkansas, and hogs are very plentiful.

pirogue

WKR
watch for ear notches or tags as alot trap em and ear notch em..pretty easy to spot em.
Hogs are shot on sight on my property, and everyone else I know, does the same. Ear notches or tags are not tickets to trespass on private land.

FLAK

WKR
Don’t take all above suggestions as gospel. My cousin has 2700 acres in southern Missouri(county borders Arkansas), and he has no hogs. Another relative has over 200 acres in southern KY, and has no hogs. Some places in north Arkansas have no hogs. My family has two different places in south Arkansas, and hogs are very plentiful.
This is good advice. I live in an area that should be overrun with hogs and they simply arent here, or are very sparse. When I moved here I thought they would be on every corner but I havent seen a live hog in 4 years of being in the swamps/wooods.
I think the hog "infestation" people talk about is a spotty, local issue and not widespread
as we're led to believe. Pick your spots accordingly.

Last edited:
Cross Kentucky off the list. Im in the far west end of the state, we haven't had hogs in about decade.

(I'm sure there may be one here or there near the TN border, but I have not heard of any reports)

My research on the subject shows Oklahoma would be worth looking into. Call some game wardens and see if they can point you in the direction of public land or private land owners wanting help getting rid of them

Buck197

WKR
Cross Kentucky off the list. Im in the far west end of the state, we haven't had hogs in about decade.

(I'm sure there may be one here or there near the TN border, but I have not heard of any reports)

My research on the subject shows Oklahoma would be worth looking into. Call some game wardens and see if they can point you in the direction of public land or private land owners wanting help getting rid of them
It's that entire area Oklahoma Arkansas Texas Louisiana the Arklatex where they all meet. its pretty thick. Didn't know Kentucky and TN were mostly rid of em. Good for yall.

Buck197

WKR
It's getting out of hand in some places
It is. And to make matters worse people started turning domesticated etc loose with em in the mountains, well we call em mountains, haha, and they crossbreed in there and we'll, you know how hogs breed.

It's getting out of hand in some places
Definitely not speaking for TN.

There was a handful in Hickman County, KY years ago, but kdfwr went in and eradicated them.

One of those deals where I'm glad we don't have them in my area, but at the same time wild hog bacon sounds pretty good

Buck197

WKR

Thats just a guide I googled for you in Oklahoma, I don't know anything about em. I know a few people at home that guide people running dogs I can refer you too, depends if you want diy or guided. I wasn't aware they'd mostly eradicated em in KY and TN, not sure on Missouri so I'd double check that as well. Down in the Arklatex we are chock full.

rayporter

WKR
public land in NW arkansas is loaded with hogs. i see a lot of them every year up there.

the trouble is they are hard to hunt. and you cant hunt them unless it is deer season and you use the weapon for the season.

relatives in north central okalahoma have a serious hog problem, too.

Felix40

WKR
If you are going to make the trip you might as well go where there’s good numbers. There is a lot of public land in LA and East TX and most of it has a lot of hogs.

wytx

WKR
Oklahoma has tons of hogs but Texas has the most liberal take on them. In Texas, no license required on private land with permission and any method of take including thermals at night.
I believe Oklahoma has relaxed some of their hunting regs on hogs but not positive on that, as compared to a few years ago.

Buck197

WKR
It was relaxed some. Yeah that whole arklatex has been overrun with em for years

In Tennessee they are not treated like big game species and can only be taken in certain areas and most of the time is has to be during deer season. Look over the regs before making your decision

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk