How far is too far?

I'm looking at an area in MT (unit 560) that would put me anywhere from 8 - 12 miles from the trailhead to reach the best hunting area. I've never set foot in this area, but it looks like it could have a lot of potential following the recent (2006) fire that passed through the area. I'm not too concerned about the hike in, as there is very little elevation gain until the end, but what happens when there's an elk on the ground?

There is a good chance that I'll be going solo during the archery season, so getting an animal out will most likely require a few trips. My biggest concern is that I'll be too far in to get the meat out without spoiling. Realistically, it could take a few days to get all of the meat out, so is it worth going in that far if there is a chance the meat could spoil? I would consider hiring a pack service if needed, but I would prefer to do the hauling on my own.

I don't have a ton of experience in the backcountry, but I'd just like to know if I'm crazy for still wanting to hunt this area?

There are a few really nice creeks/streams so finding cool areas to hang meat shouldn't be too difficult. When given the option, do you prefer to hang or submerge meat bags? Will contractor bags offer enough protection, or would I be better off using dry bags?

If you've got additional information on this area, and are willing to share, I'll need all the help I can get!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted too far for foot hauling by yourself line up some mules especially in sept.

Beastmode

WKR
I'm not big on telling someone I don't know that they can't do something. So I'm not going to. You will be asking a lot out of yourself. A lot is an understatement.

Jon Boy

WKR
I've hunted that burn a lot. Can't imagine any where that's flat. Whether your coming from the boulder side, the Grey cliff side or the reed point side. The shit is steep and deep. Also I think you would be passing up lots of elk country if you were going in an honest 8-12 miles. My buddy guided in there two years ago. Not sure if his outfitter provides packing services or not I'll ask though. Good luck randy Newberg did an episode in there a few years ago and his buddy shot a nice bull.

jmez

WKR
Not much flat in that country. Don't let the low elevations fool you if you have never been in there. Everything is straight up and straight down. I wouldn't want to pack camp 8-12 miles in there, an elk would be out of the question.

There is a place that rents horses in Townsend that is reputable. I have not personally used them but have talked to hunters in that area that use them every year and they highly recommend them. I don't remember the name. Is a dude ranch over by Fishtail but not sure if they lease any or not. May try to check into that. Would be closer than Townsend.

Last edited:

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The best way to figure out how far you can go is to do a test run. Grab your back pack fill it with about 70 pounds and go for a walk. Be sure to have obstacles and elevation changes. If you can successfully carry your pack 8 to 10 miles in a reasonable amount of time I say go for it. Realistically you're biting off more then most. You owe it to the animal to get it out and get it out without spoiling. If you can't do that in a couple days then don't go that deep.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I think every one that commented has nailed it. Do research on packers then talk with them now and when you get there. You do not want it to come as a surprise to the packer when you call.
If you have not handled stock and used them to pack out, you might not want to rent them. My 2cents.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The best way to figure out how far you can go is to do a test run. Grab your back pack fill it with about 70 pounds and go for a walk. Be sure to have obstacles and elevation changes. If you can successfully carry your pack 8 to 10 miles in a reasonable amount of time I say go for it. Realistically you're biting off more then most. You owe it to the animal to get it out and get it out without spoiling. If you can't do that in a couple days then don't go that deep.

It will depend on how far they have to travel to your trail head, the elk location and how rough the terrain is. I have been quoted from 250-500.
Maybe other things as supply and demand will influence the cost there.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
This past season (2014) was my first attempt at archery elk in Colorado I went in six miles, bushwackin two of those what I did'nt count for was the extra mile to mile and a half to get to where I thought the elk might be. I went in on a friday and came out the following friday and my ass was dragging. I came out for two days and went to another place that was only four miles in, then I got into elk pretty good but couldn't make it happen partly because I didn't know how to play the game and partly cause my ass was still dragging. I only did four days at the second spot cause I had reached my physical and mental limits. My point being it's a whole lot easier walking on paper the in the mountains. Maybe map some spots out on your way in to check out and you won't have to go so deep to score. I'm not saying it can't be done but it will be hell good luck either way at least you have a place to start.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
No matter your condition, going on a solo hunt that far in without animals to pack everything out is asking for big problems as far as your health and even more so meat spoilage that is bound to happen. Nobody is going to make more than one round trip a day in the mountains with that kind of distance you're talking about even with just a load going out each time. Even boning a big bull out means a minimum of 4 and probably 5 trips before everything is out to the truck, so you may be talking 4 or 5 days trying to do it on your back and I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Rizzy

WKR
Have you ever packed an animal 5+ miles before? If you have then maybe this is the next step. If you haven't then it might be too much for now.

I'm not going to tell you not to do it though. If you think you have it in you than go for it. I packed an Elk and camp out 6 miles solo and it took a day and a half. This was in November and meat spoilage wasn't an issue. Meat spoilage would be my main concern during an archery season. If the temperatures on your hunt are in the 30s at night and 50s during the day, then I could see myself trying it with boned out meat. It would be very important to carry manageable loads so you last for the 2 or 3 days it will take to get it out ;)

Logan T

WKR
That area is my 2nd home.... those hills will eat up anyone who is hunting, especially after being that far back in already... especially solo, even more so on foot. Steep is an understatement, and someone with little backcountry experience (not saying "you" at all, just reading your line about not having a ton of experience) is in for a very hard hunt - physically and mentally.... and they don't get easier over time there either, with the trees coming down and undergrowth coming up. I'm not trying to discourage you from that area, just letting you know how it is. If you take stock, you darn well better have a good saw for cutting trees off the main trail, and I'd recommend a good saw for going in on foot back that far. The blow down is crazy and only getting worse, and it is common for a lot of trees to be on the trail on the way out, that weren't there on the way in. It's sad, but realistically it probably won't be too much longer before the only way to get around in there will be to wait until after another fire rolls through.

Rizzy

WKR
That area is my 2nd home.... those hills will eat up anyone who is hunting, especially after being that far back in already... especially solo, even more so on foot. Steep is an understatement, and someone with little backcountry experience (not saying "you" at all, just reading your line about not having a ton of experience) is in for a very hard hunt - physically and mentally.... and they don't get easier over time there either, with the trees coming down and undergrowth coming up. I'm not trying to discourage you from that area, just letting you know how it is. If you take stock, you darn well better have a good saw for cutting trees off the main trail, and I'd recommend a good saw for going in on foot back that far. The blow down is crazy and only getting worse, and it is common for a lot of trees to be on the trail on the way out, that weren't there on the way in. It's sad, but realistically it probably won't be too much longer before the only way to get around in there will be to wait until after another fire rolls through.

After hearing that I don't think I'd try it. It sounds like areas of the Frank Church I've been in, with trees constantly across the trail it will be a nightmare.