Pack/Gear Shakedown

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the Rick Young outdoors harness? It’s just a clever bungee cord with quick connects but weighs about 2.5oz. I just tuck my binoculars under my midlayer if they need more protection.
Are you still liking your RYO harness for your binos? I just spent five days wearing my original SG bino harness and had to quit wearing it on day five due to it contributing to my neck/shoulder pain which happens every year. I have 10x42 binos but may possibly go to 10x32 range finding binos for next year because of the mainly dark timber areas we hunt. Trying to drop a pound or so off my neck area. It looks like a pretty cool idea but does the shock cord dig into your neck with bigger binos? I have plenty of pockets for the other accessories I carry.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one (RYO) I use w/ a small (light) pair of 8x30's (Maven) and no discomfort; Ive not tried them w/ my 10x42's however (they go into a FHF harness)

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I have one (RYO) I use w/ a small (light) pair of 8x30's (Maven) and no discomfort; Ive not tried them w/ my 10x42's however (they go into a FHF harness)
Thanks fo rthe feedback. I need to look into the Maven binos too. Is your set range finding? I don't currently have a range finder so I am thinking of combining the two.

By the way, than you for your review of the Sitka Ambient 100 hoody. It was my main outwear for most of our seven days up the mountain. I wore a Sitka lightweight hoody under it and on cool mornings, upper 30s, it was on me while hiking up many steep slopes. If I got too hot, I just unzipped it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope, not range finding—would be handy of they were though!

Yeah the Ambient line is some pretty good $hit :D

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you still liking your RYO harness for your binos? I just spent five days wearing my original SG bino harness and had to quit wearing it on day five due to it contributing to my neck/shoulder pain which happens every year. I have 10x42 binos but may possibly go to 10x32 range finding binos for next year because of the mainly dark timber areas we hunt. Trying to drop a pound or so off my neck area. It looks like a pretty cool idea but does the shock cord dig into your neck with bigger binos? I have plenty of pockets for the other accessories I carry.
Yes, it’s my primary way of using my binos. Mine are 10 x 42 non-range finding so not very heavy. No the cord does not dig into me. The only thing that’s been uncomfortable is if you keep the excess bunched up in the back instead of up higher closer to your neck that can dig into you if a pack is pressed against it, but again, no issues if I keep that extra bunch of high