How far can elk see?

I had to belly crawl across a field for a couple hundred yards last season to get close enough to shoot a cow. They were at least 800 yards from me and would look my way frequently, just couldn't make out what I was.

I think if you are quiet, stealthy, move slowly, the 400 yd mark is where you have to really be on your game to get inside.
That sounds about right to me. But obviously, under certain conditions, it’s further.

I’ve seen it turn a lot on lighting. If you are lit up by the sun, especially silhouetted on a sky line or against snow, they can see you a loooong ways away. Especially if you are moving.

If you are still and the sun is in their eyes, I’ve had them almost step on me.

Deadfall

WKR
At what distance do you feel safe walking in open veiw of elk without spooking?
sklylined?
not skylined?

To be more specific after spotting elk at what range do you feel the need for concealment while closing the distance?
Imagine 8 power binoculas

Deadfall

WKR
At no point do I ever feel comfortable walking in open. They love bedding just inside edges and watching openings. They can see through brush much better then I can

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I was on a mule deer hunt glassing and had a smaller herd at about 1200 yards across a canyon. I repositioned, and they quickly headed for cover.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I had a cow pick me off at 600 yards once. I thought I could get across an opening. I learned a lot at that moment in my elk career. lol

That old nasty bitch took the whole herd with her too.... Hard lesson on how good an elk's eyes are and she could tell FOR SURE that I was dangerous and not just a passing animal...

LostArra

WKR
If you can see them they are capable of seeing you!

ElkNut
Truth!

There is always one cow, usually bedded, that has exceptional super powers including invisibility plus both long-range and x-ray vision. Of course you won't know about her until she barks and then you see a herd running for miles.

Last edited:

squirrel

WKR
Under some condition they will move because you were thinking loud.
yep and dont buy in to they dont see color crap either. You will lose that bet.

I've had them spook from me at >2 miles when in the open just walking uncountable # of times, probably a lot of times at >3 miles if I was to really ponder on the question.