How far can elk see?

eoperator

WKR
At what distance do you feel safe walking in open veiw of elk without spooking?
sklylined?
not skylined?

To be more specific after spotting elk at what range do you feel the need for concealment while closing the distance?

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found that elk hear me before they can actually see me, so stealth movements are critical. As far as skylining, if elk are minding their own elk-business, grazing with heads down, lumbering along, then using stealth walk the skyline to glass or get closer. But elk, if they’ve detected anything out fo the ordinary will keep checking their surroundings, so lay as low as possible on ridges.

Gerbdog

WKR
Been busted at a mile just walking through a clearing between trees ... thought my camo would break me up enough crossing it to get to the next set of trees but.... movement will get you busted every time, the elk are tuned for spotting that movement.

Wrench

WKR
Just last week I had their attention at a mile away. They didn't bolt, but they didn't take eyes off me. They were on food they wanted at that time in a few feet of snow.

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
I made my approach on a herd spotted at 1800yrds fighting my down an aspen/willow choked ditch to stay out of sight. It worked out good in the end but I was 100% soaked and cold when making the shot. Sure would have been nice to walk in the open 2/3 of the way but seeing these comments make me feel I did the right thing.

Trackselk

WKR
Think similar vision to yourself, but with enhanced movement capabilities, and diminished still capabilities (black and white). This last season I spent 7 hours going about 2 miles to cross the drainage I had spotted the elk in, high enough to keep my scent above them. The last 1/3 mile had little cover and took about an hour, and the 600 to 400 yards (45 mins) was an excruciating creep across the open hillside that had a few bushes and burnt deadfall. I was literally moving like molasses and was able to stay in the shade mostly, which helped. I had about a dozen elk looking about (heavy wolf area) and, so of course I didn't move when they looked my way, but they were spread out in big willows and fir trees, so I couldn't see but about 5 at a time. Mostly, I didn't have anthing else going on, and I wanted to see if I could pull it off.
After crouching on the steep hillside until my legs went crazy numb, I had the max 400 yard shot on a small 6 point, but he wouldn't budge, and there was one large branch on a dead tree that was in the way. In the end, right before it was too dark, a spike wandered down below me at 350 and the freezer was filled. Last thing is, I had nestled in against a dead log in the shade at that 400, and they had a good 15 minutes to spot me, but didn't. What a day!

Fuenstock

FNG
I don’t know how far they can see but I know it’s much farther then I can.
Several times I’ve glassed elk and they are looking straight back at me when I couldn’t see them with the naked eye.
And I think they’ll hear you way before they see you if your talking and being loud.

Jbxl20

WKR
I was glassing elk that I couldn’t see with the naked eye. Walked a few yards and hid ( or so I thought) behind a pine tree to get a better angle. Pulled up the binos and they were looking at me.

bushman76

FNG
I’ve found that elk hear me before they can actually see me, so stealth movements are critical. As far as skylining, if elk are minding their own elk-business, grazing with heads down, lumbering along, then using stealth walk the skyline to glass or get closer. But elk, if they’ve detected anything out fo the ordinary will keep checking their surroundings, so lay as low as possible on ridges.
Great advice, thanks for the heads-up.

jimh406

WKR
No idea, but the bigger issue to me is how fast they walk. If they decide to feed or go somewhere else, they can get there very fast. It will be very hard to close the distance. They also usually have a lookout as well. Sneaking up on a herd unless they are very tame or in thick cover will be difficult.

Prior to archery season this year I went to check out a new area and I saw a cow watching me from 900 yards away. I started glassing for awhile and she settled down and continued feeding. When I got up and started walking I saw her catch my movement again. I would have to agree that if you can see them with your naked eye, they can potentially see you.

If they smell you they are gone in a second from any distance. If you are standing erect , skylined or not trying any stealth I agree with all above. I think if you are quiet, stealthy, move slowly, the 400 yd mark is where you have to really be on your game to get inside.

Poser

WKR
I summited a peak this summer and looked down in the next drainage to see some elk, easily a 1/2 mile a way and at least 1,000 below me. They immediately blew out upon seeing my movement.