How does your job prepare you for the mountain?

Robobiss

FNG
It doesn’t really, and IMO most jobs dont really, either. Unless you’re running around in the woods climbing and descending with a pack on.

Sure, a guy climbing ladders all day every day probably has stronger quads than the guy sitting at the desk, but if the guy at the desk puts real effort into training and lifting and cardio and eating clean he is probably going to blow the construction guy out of the water. A 5 mile hike a week as soon as the snow is gone and until it gets too deep with a pack traversing elevation would be life changing for the average joes hiking/cardio/leg strength and endurance.

All of my real preparations for anything physical (hunting, backpacking, competing in combat sports, etc) come from specific and dedicated training. If I want to get better at hiking I need to hike. If I want to get better cardio I need to do cardio (running, biking, or grappling/BJJ). If I want to have stronger legs I do squats.

The day to day efforts at work aren’t for nothing, they matter and make a difference, but I don’t personally think they can hold a candle to actual training.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Similar to other guys. Lots of sititng and staring (which i guess helps glassing sessions lol). Only way to get good at a thing imo , is to do the thing. Hike hills with a heavy backpack is what i try n do outside of work. Cuz i know thats what ill be doing out West

TaperPin

WKR
Going from construction to the mountains the three things that have helped the most are calf raises, leg extensions, and squats.

Squats, or something else for the hams/glutes are the most obvious.

Even with young guys used to the mountains, it seems calves are the first to go and no amount of running or biking will be enough - simple calf raises seem to solve any problems we were having.

Leg extensions to toughen up the quads is as essential as calf raises when going down hill, because if they are week and the bottom edge of the knee cap is allowed to hit the leg bone you can be in for a wold of hurt. I couldn’t hardly bend my knee and went to an orthopedic surgeon - he knew exactly what it was from and said the same thing happened to him one year while elk hunting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
40+ years ago I was a sawyer in Northwest Montana, did this for 4-5 years (paying for college). Carrying a chainsaw up and down mountains everyday whips you into pretty good shape. When hunting season rolled around, elk/deer hunting wasn't very hard—well except for packing quarters out on shitty WWII pack frames :ROFLMAO:

Now fully retired, my "job" allows me to hike everyday. It also lets me pick and choose what days to hunt during our six week season based on pressure, weather, etc.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Makes me wanna get as far away from other people as possible, making me push further into the backcountry

HighPing_

FNG
It teaches me long periods of boredom followed up by intense moments of pure adrenaline. Maybe I wont be as bored in the field when I finally get to go this year.

It makes me want to go where I have 0 cell phone service and I can't hear cars or people.

I work on a boat buying salmon from commercial fishermen. Long hours sorting fish, driving, and setting up/taking down deck gear, but also some great opportunities to hike, glass mountains and stalk black bears.
Come fall I’ll probably wish I’d done more squats, more miles and fewer ice cream cones (just kidding on that last one). 🍦

Tom-D

FNG
My job allows me to buy all the shit i take with me so i guess thats prep 🤷🏻‍♂️ ( not that i really hunt mountains)

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
My job is near zero, walking a few flights of stairs per day and on average about mile combined through most days. This is very little other than saying I'm not 100% sedentary.

I exercise to make up for it through strength and cardio training. I enjoy the time spent doing it and know it will help me maintain strength and flexibility into my later years (54 now) but it can be hard to make the time. Planning to add some simple HIIT and kettle bell exercises to the plan, something that can take 15-30 minutes on the patio or garage.

I've done hunts that accumulate 35-40 miles in 5 days with a 30 pound pack going from sea level to 8-10k. Physically I do well but my cardio is not Bueno. It's the one thing I wish there was a magic pill for.

bullnose

FNG
My soft hands from sitting in front of a computer all day make my trigger press much more predictable and consistent. Trust me I've tested this.
Same here- the other thing my workplace prepared me for is making sure the deer identifies as a buck before tagging it as well as using its preferred pronouns when telling hunt stories.

Yoder

WKR
Same here- the other thing my workplace prepared me for is making sure the deer identifies as a buck before tagging it as well as using its preferred pronouns when telling hunt stories.
Don't forget about black bear history month. We might work at the same place.