how do you?

shaun

WKR
been thinking the spot might help, or possibly rent a sat ph for $10 a day or whatever it is...

Spot II is awesome and works great the thing with that though I always double send my message to make sure they go through I have had about 1 or 2 that diddnt when I was testing. But with double sending I havent had a problem at all just have to make sure you have a clear view of the sky. Also let your sig other know that if they dont get a message by a certain time dont freak out right off the bat and wait till the next message is supposed to be sent before they do anything just in case one doesnt go through. I took a sat phone with me from work this year to Colorado and that also gave her piece of mind being that she was 7.5 months pregnant so I could actually call her and make sure she wasnt going into early labor instead of just a one way communication.

Spot II is awesome and works great the thing with that though I always double send my message to make sure they go through I have had about 1 or 2 that diddnt when I was testing. But with double sending I havent had a problem at all just have to make sure you have a clear view of the sky. Also let your sig other know that if they dont get a message by a certain time dont freak out right off the bat and wait till the next message is supposed to be sent before they do anything just in case one doesnt go through. I took a sat phone with me from work this year to Colorado and that also gave her piece of mind being that she was 7.5 months pregnant so I could actually call her and make sure she wasnt going into early labor instead of just a one way communication.

Now that is an understanding wife! I cancelled a trip this year cause my wife would have been 8 months pregnant.....but I don't think I would have been "able" to go anyways. LOL

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
by able you mean broke legs if you tried right?

maybe thats just my house..... ;)

Amen! Actually my wife let me go on 2- 2 week hunting trips when my daughter was born. She was 3 months old at the time?

Also check Into the delorme inreach. It allows 2-way texting and about the same cost depending on plan you are on. That was probably the only purchase I made with the wife saying, "really? How come you didn't buy this a long time ago? Is this the best I the market?"

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I trust Luke completely, and he has been hunting solo since his teens, but I confess I still worry when he goes solo. While I am still not wild about the idea, several things have made a big difference for me in feeling more comfortable when I know he is out there alone.

First and foremost is communication, before, during and after. Before he goes, we try to discuss where he will be going, where he is going to leave the truck, how long he plans to be out, etc. basically it's like a trip plan, and I find that knowing where he is going to be gives me some peace of mind. At least then if something happens and he becomes overdue I know where to start looking. We have a sat phone, and when Luke goes alone he calls in every night (this is a change from the norm for us, if he is out with other people but without me, he often only calls every couple of days or so). They don't have to be long calls, but I feel so much better knowing that he is ok out there. When he calls in he updates me about where he is, particularly if this is a change from the plan we have made, and gives me some idea where he is headed the next day. He has also gotten good about letting me know when he gets back to the truck, after a miscommunication years ago that had me pretty worried. For my part I have tried to not be too irritated when he comes home later than planned, as long as he keeps me updated.

If a sat phone is not an option for you, an "I'm ok" message from the spot, or other device could achieve a similar goal, but you can't communicate changes to the plan or find out if there has been any kind of emergency at home. For where we live and how much time we spend in remote areas, the sat phone has been more than worth it, but I know it's an awfully big investment.

I think the other thing that has been most reassuring to me have been unsolicited statements by Luke that no animal or trip is worth dying for. He has made a point to tell me that he is even more careful than usual and takes fewer risks when he is alone, and I believe him. The stakes are a lot higher when you are out there without anyone else.

I still worry whenever he heads off solo, but these things have made me more comfortable with the idea. It also helps when he comes home safe, and tells me it would have been more fun if I had been able to go :)

As per usual Becca post this ^^^^^^ is spot on. Not much for me to add after that.

shaun

WKR
Now that is an understanding wife! I cancelled a trip this year cause my wife would have been 8 months pregnant.....but I don't think I would have been "able" to go anyways. LOL

Haha ya she is awesome...puts up with me and from what I hear that takes a lot...that's why I am not pushing my Arizona hunt on her

philw

Lil-Rokslider
As per usual Becca post this ^^^^^^ is spot on. Not much for me to add after that.

+1. I will admit to having a few "lively discussions" on the subject when our boys were very young. And to tell the truth, those were the days I thought long and hard about going solo myself. In those days communication during the hunt was not really an option but before and after were important. Having said that, the most important discussions happened before we were married. Taking off on my own every fall was/is just a part of who I am and my wife understood that before it ever became a question of whether or not I'd be going out that year.

Of course it also helps that she has her own interests and goes on her own trips without me, things like bike trips in New England in the fall.

Last edited:
Bearhunter hit it on the head. If your wife or partner doesn't support your passions and let you pursue them, perhaps you should have made a different decision early on.
I have traipsed the woods since my days in Boy Scouts. I have every confidence that I can take care of myself in the woods. My wife grew up in a horse-packing family and for her the move to backpacking with me was something new and strange (carrying your own stuff). However, she also knows the basics pretty well and knows that with just a bit of common sense things will be alright solo or with one of my partners.
A trip plan with maps, GPS coords, trailheads, etc is just good business. We also have a return time and a 24 pad built in before any help is summoned. I also leave info with my partners if I am going alone for more than overnight so they can coordinate with my wife if something goes horribly wrong. Besides, they already know the country and likely the best ways in and out if assistance is needed.