How do you.....

amp713

WKR
How do you clean, care for and protect your boots???? I dont have anything super nice so Im pretty rough on tough on them, when they wear out I get a new $100-150 pair.... Dont know if that would change with more expensive boots or not though! Lets hear your thoughts!

NVCHUKAR

WKR
A damp cloth to clean off all dirt and then I apply Obenaufs. Sometimes I will use a blow dryer and heat in the first coat and apply a second if the boots have been neglected for a while.

A damp cloth to clean off all dirt and then I apply Obenaufs. Sometimes I will use a blow dryer and heat in the first coat and apply a second if the boots have been neglected for a while.

yep, can't go wrong with this....

boom

WKR

this. except the hairdryer.

i find hand friction heat is enough, but we dont have winter weather. subsequent coats go on much much easier. you hands will never be softer.

Damp cloth, Lathrop and Sons G-Wax once in awile... They typically "clean" themselves the more you wear them... The G-Wax keeps the in good shape though.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For waterproofing I read in a backpacker mag many years a good combination is the nikwax paste and seal it with techtron spray. Seems to work as good as any in this rain soaked country.

kodiakfly

WKR
I've always used Nixwax on my boots. Works well for me. Cleaning...I don't. It's wet enough that I'll clean them next time I wear them.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
So ive got a set that got soaked in swap lands while chasing turkey this week, they are covered in alkilai (Spelling has got to be off) and kinda smell like swamp.... Thoughts on how to wash these?? And what about sprays???

When my boots get wet, they go on a boot dryer as soon as I can get them back to my house... That has taken care of all smells very well, mainly foot odor!

I used to never do this and thus....ruined many pairs of boots for not being able to stand the smell while wearing them in my truck with the heat blowing out from the floor :)

That may help... Other than the boot dryer, just wipe them down good...

Obenaufs and the G-Wax are about as good as it gets...

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
The boot dryer accidently got left at the cabin last week or i would have done that for sure! But ill give that a shot! was wondering about a washing mashine spin cycle or a dishwasher.....

boom

WKR
The boot dryer accidently got left at the cabin last week or i would have done that for sure! But ill give that a shot! was wondering about a washing mashine spin cycle or a dishwasher.....

No way! A dishwasher gets hot!

I'd hose them if they are. "Swampy" pull out the inserts and sun dry everything. My dad used to stuff newspaper in them and change it out as the wads dampen.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I was thinking just run everything on cold and a rinse cycle but i will try that out... Im heded up the mountian today so they may get snow and river water ran across them plus i have my drier up there so that might be bueno

boom

WKR
I was thinking just run everything on cold and a rinse cycle but i will try that out... Im heded up the mountian today so they may get snow and river water ran across them plus i have my drier up there so that might be bueno

If you do it. Pics please. It would be pretty awesome.

My wife would kill me. Haha.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Ha i just went and ran through the streams a few times then dried them out. seem alot better now! Still might need to find a better treatment though! Going to look into the ones mentioned above

Keep original box, or get a bag. Clean. Then put in bathroom somewhere. Moisture will keep the Goretex from drying out. And waterproof will last way longer. The boots will not dry out if you are not using them on a regular basis.

Once a year I clean them by hand with soap and water. Let them dry. And then add Nixwax.

None of this is to really keep them clean but to keep the leather in good condition. My last pair I neglected and they cracked and got squeaky which pretty much ruined them so I'm taking a bit better care of this pair.

peter

FNG
I once put my boots in the washing machine and they came out smaller... LOL