How do you pay for your gear?

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
The cool thing about capitalism and a competitive market place is that we as consumers are rewarded with amazing products. Hunters are no exception as we have more access to quality gear than ever before...the down side is that we have to pay for it. I am curious how everyone has gone about building their kit and what advice would they give to folks just starting out.

I'll start. My advice as a young father with two small kids is to be realistic and play the "want vs. need" game with all gear purchases. As obvious as that may sound, I always catch myself drooling over some new piece of gear that really doesn't fit my hunting style or would replace something that is perfectly functional and already living in my garage. Develop your own hunting style, research gear that fits your needs and try to buy stuff that is either used, on sale, or a few model years old.

...So are you a hardcore budgeter still wearing dad's old mossy oak bibs? Independently wealthy? Rolling the dice and racking up the CC debt? Side hustling to pay for the toys? Or some combination of the above?

Taudisio

WKR
Buy what I want when I have the funds available, or save until I have enough for what I want.

I spent my youth racking up debt, just got to “zero” and I am not putting anything on a credit card that I can’t transfer the same amount of funds from my savings account to cover it the same day.

waspocrew

WKR
I usually try to sell something I'm not using to offset the cost a little bit. Generally though, I just make the purchase. Some CCs have decent rewards. It took me a while, but I saved enough Scheels gift cards over time to pay for a NF scope a few months back.

Marble

WKR
If indont have the money to pay for anything, minus my mortgage, I do not purchase it.

Over the years I have purchased gear one or two pieces at a time. For years, I suffered and realized I needed something better and slowly upgraded. I was never one to go out and buy a full western hunter starter kit. It really is unnecessary and most guys buy a bunch of stuff they don't even need.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk