How do you land on the grip or grip tape you use?

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I use baseball bat grip tape, currently lizard skin? Comes in some pretty cool colors too.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
I’ve heard lizard skin enough that I may have to try some out. Thanks

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love the grip on my Hoyt Carbon Element. When I bought my Mathew V3, I knew I wanted a more rounded grip that really locks your hand in the grip like my Hoyt. I found a company that offers side plates that do just that. Now I have a Mathews with a Hoyt-like grip. That makes it the perfect setup to me.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
I love the grip on my Hoyt Carbon Element. When I bought my Mathew V3, I knew I wanted a more rounded grip that really locks your hand in the grip like my Hoyt. I found a company that offers side plates that do just that. Now I have a Mathews with a Hoyt-like grip. That makes it the perfect setup to me.
That sounds pretty cool. Did you contact companies saying you needed something more similar to Hoyt, or how did you find one that fits that way?

Marble

WKR
On my target bow, I think it's lizard tape. I can take my time and get my hands where I want it. On my target bow, I put more heal pressure on the grip.

My Axius is different and slightly larger. Seems it fits my hand well.

On my defiant and carbon spyder, I took the wood grip off and shot straight off of the riser. Fairly thin, and it sat right in the spot i liked it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

V-TRAIN

WKR
Right now I have a Bowtech Revolt-X and a Reckoning 35 and am using Tim Gillingham's grips on both of them, one is a 9 degree, the other is a 12 degree, but he make them in multiple angles and widths.
I wrap them with .5mm bat tape, the thinnest (lizard skin, gamma, etc, they are all the same, used pick color you want).

I had a Mach 34 with S2 cams for about a month and put a ultraview grip, I liked that, but sold the bow and ordered a Fortis 33 with S2 cams. At the end of the day, I could just see no benefit of a carbon bow over aluminum considering the price difference, so I just let it go. I love the S2 cam, I have a short draw length, and that cam is smoking fast at my draw length. When I short it threw my chronograph, I couldn't believe it. I was basically getting speeds with a 6.75" brace that bows from other brands give me with a 6" brace.
I have not gotten my Fortis 33 yet, nor have I shot one, I am also a lefty, but I know they changed the grip on it.

On any bow, if you want to play with the grip, a easy thing to do is put a piece of tape, like electrical on the existing grip, or the riser. Then get Sugru, and you can build it up however you want it, then just wrap it with .5mm tape (mainly to cover up what you have done for looks, but also gives you some tack). If you ever wat to take it off, it is easy that way, because it is not stuck directly to the riser/existing grip.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
Right now I have a Bowtech Revolt-X and a Reckoning 35 and am using Tim Gillingham's grips on both of them, one is a 9 degree, the other is a 12 degree, but he make them in multiple angles and widths.
I wrap them with .5mm bat tape, the thinnest (lizard skin, gamma, etc, they are all the same, used pick color you want).

I had a Mach 34 with S2 cams for about a month and put a ultraview grip, I liked that, but sold the bow and ordered a Fortis 33 with S2 cams. At the end of the day, I could just see no benefit of a carbon bow over aluminum considering the price difference, so I just let it go. I love the S2 cam, I have a short draw length, and that cam is smoking fast at my draw length. When I short it threw my chronograph, I couldn't believe it. I was basically getting speeds with a 6.75" brace that bows from other brands give me with a 6" brace.
I have not gotten my Fortis 33 yet, nor have I shot one, I am also a lefty, but I know they changed the grip on it.

On any bow, if you want to play with the grip, a easy thing to do is put a piece of tape, like electrical on the existing grip, or the riser. Then get Sugru, and you can build it up however you want it, then just wrap it with .5mm tape (mainly to cover up what you have done for looks, but also gives you some tack). If you ever wat to take it off, it is easy that way, because it is not stuck directly to the riser/existing grip.
That’s pretty cool. Really customize it exactly the way you want, fairly simply. Thanks. Now to figure out just what it is I want…

MattB

WKR
This whole site basically exists to cater to people who refuse to leave well enough alone, so you're in good company.
So true.

I just shoot off the riser on most bows (remove grip). I put a small piece of hockey tape in n the back of the grip of one bow that was a little too slick. We hunt in 100 weather here most July’s so sweat can be a factor.

trial and error. buy used. try different grips. i like a high wrist so i shoot the torquless high wrist currently on a mathews

jonboy

FNG
I always thought being able to grip your bow imparted torque on the shot. Myself personally I would never use grip tape for that reason. Just food for thought.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
I always thought being able to grip your bow imparted torque on the shot. Myself personally I would never use grip tape for that reason. Just food for thought.
That’s a good point, similar to the “slippery” concept some guys are saying. That way if you twist and turn, it might not carry into the shot as much?

jonboy

FNG
That’s a good point, similar to the “slippery” concept some guys are saying. That way if you twist and turn, it might not carry into the shot as much?
That’s how I always looked at it.

Baller

FNG
I shoot a Bowtech SS 34.

I have the Gillingham 6 degree narrow grip. Stock was good, 3 degree was better and 6 degree is best...for ME.

Tried he 9 and it was too much.

Use skateboard type tape on the back only. Keeps my hand where I put it and doesn't tear up my palm.

My .02

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
I shoot a Bowtech SS 34.

I have the Gillingham 6 degree narrow grip. Stock was good, 3 degree was better and 6 degree is best...for ME.

Tried he 9 and it was too much.

Use skateboard type tape on the back only. Keeps my hand where I put it and doesn't tear up my palm.

My .02
Thanks - I think I need to find a shop or somewhere with a wide selection and try a bunch, see what feels right. I can’t say I know if I need to go steeper or less, or what.