How do you land on the grip or grip tape you use?

WBrim

WKR
How did you end up finding the exact grip you use on your bow?

I shoot a Mathews, and like the grip pretty well. I used to shoot a bowtech with a VERY different grip, and liked it just fine.

But I also wonder if I would like something slightly different better.

Do you shoot a stock grip? A changed out grip (such as an ultra view or rattler grips)? Tape your current grip for a texture change? Does this come from tweaking the set up you had, or how do you end up with what you like?

(Full disclosure, this question is from reading the thread about grip tape recommendations and not wanting to derail that thread)

I shoot an elite with stock grip which is the riser with side plates. However I get sweaty hands so it would slide around when it’s warm so I put grip tape on it. I just try to find what’s comfortable, naturally levels and doesn’t torque the bow, and is repeatable.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
I shoot an elite with stock grip which is the riser with side plates. However I get sweaty hands so it would slide around when it’s warm so I put grip tape on it. I just try to find what’s comfortable, naturally levels and doesn’t torque the bow, and is repeatable.
That makes perfect sense- issue with a little slip, so add something to mitigate. Thanks.

Using the stock Mathews is working fine, but I’m starting to wonder if I mess around if I’ll find something a little better.

Gorp2007

WKR
I started out with the factory Engage grip on my Mathews Traverse, but found myself torquing the bow a lot. So I switched to shooting off the riser wrapped with hockey tape, which was fine but I found myself really high on the shelf, so I broke down and bought the Ultraview and really liked how much it helped me eliminate left/right misses by getting a more consistent/repeatable grip with it's very flat back edge.

Is there something specific about the Engage grip that you don't like?

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
I started out with the factory Engage grip on my Mathews Traverse, but found myself torquing the bow a lot. So I switched to shooting off the riser wrapped with hockey tape, which was fine but I found myself really high on the shelf, so I broke down and bought the Ultraview and really liked how much it helped me eliminate left/right misses by getting a more consistent/repeatable grip with it's very flat back edge.

Is there something specific about the Engage grip that you don't like?
Nothing particular I don’t like, it’s a good feel. I just wonder if there’s something I should try to see if it’s going to work better. But, the whole “don’t fix what ain’t broke” concept has me hesitate to change much.

Gorp2007

WKR
Nothing particular I don’t like, it’s a good feel. I just wonder if there’s something I should try to see if it’s going to work better. But, the whole “don’t fix what ain’t broke” concept has me hesitate to change much.
This whole site basically exists to cater to people who refuse to leave well enough alone, so you're in good company. The good news is you can pull your Engage grip pretty easily and see if you like shooting off the riser. Hockey tape costs a few bucks and if you don't like it, you can reinstall in about 2 minutes.

JStol5

WKR
I use the thinnest tennis grip I can find on my bows. Helps a lot with sweat, etc.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I put hockey tape on my Hoyt grip. Seems to help drawing the bow consistently, hand doesn’t slide around on the grip. Cheap and easy to get, plus not adding to the Bowmars legal fund.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I switched the grips to ultraview on both of my mathews. I modified them a little bit but overall my hand fits them much better than the stock grip. I figure with a large amount of variance with hand size and structure between individuals, it would be quite difficult for a company to make a one size fits all grip. I did like the grip on the prime bows a couple of years ago though.
My buddy shoots a pse citation for target comp and he just wraps it in athletic tape.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Mathews V3 31 with a medium Torqueless Custom and the thinnest bat grip tape I could buy. I hated the Mathews grip.

feanor

WKR
I just shoot stock grip Mathews V3x. I tinkered with an ultraview but didn’t like it. As mentioned above, I try to get the most natural feeling and repeatable grip. Not super high wrist, or extended out- just relaxed and comfortable.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
This whole site basically exists to cater to people who refuse to leave well enough alone, so you're in good company. The good news is you can pull your Engage grip pretty easily and see if you like shooting off the riser. Hockey tape costs a few bucks and if you don't like it, you can reinstall in about 2 minutes.
You’ve convinced me! 2 more days shooting CBC and the grip is coming off. You don’t know until you try, right?

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
Why use grip tape at all?
that’s part of what I’m looking into. Texture, friction, shaping slightly different? That’s what I’m checking out. Also, are guys buing multiple aftermarket grips to see what feels good? Just finding places to feel different grips out? Just small things that may make a difference.

WoodBow

WKR
I will add a couple of things, for what they are worth.

I was under the impression that no grippiness is better. I believe Randy Ulmer shoots with a very slick glove on his bow hand so that the bow slides to exactly the same place every time.

Even in texas heat and humidity, my palms do no seem to sweat so that is not an issue for me.

I like to put vet wrap around my handle in cold weather. That aluminum with turn your hand into a popsicle without it. It is very thin and fairly grippy. I usually need to tweak my sight in just a bit when I add it.

In true Canuck fashion I use hockey tape on my elite and Prime. More so because the dang aluminum riser freezes my hand that anything else

nphunter

WKR
I like a slick grip, my favorite was the Hoyt wood grips, unfortunately, the new Hoyts use plastic. I also wear thin wool liner gloves while hunting and shooting to allow the bow to slide around in my hand which prevents unwanted torque to the riser. I am always baffled by people's desire to put sticky tennis wrap on the bow, to me that is just asking for more torque issues. I guess to each their own, I like the fit of the Hoyt grips the best of all the bows I've owned.

OP
WBrim

WBrim

WKR
My first compound was a Diamond black ice, with wood side plates. They looked great, and felt awesome. Thinking back, I guess they were pretty slick. I didn’t consider wanting the slide factor to help decrease torque. Interesting.

lintond

WKR
My Hoyt has a bare grip. Only thing I did is glued a spent primer onto the front. I use that to place the tip of my index finger as a reference. Helps keep me from gripping the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk