How do you justify sheep hunting?

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted Mouflon sheep in Castillo De Leon in Spain this past Oct. on private ground. Looked over many ewes and young rams prior to coming across a good ram. I took him with an 8x68 for which I had never had experience with. One and done at better than 200 meters. There are affordable sheep hunts to enjoy. Also took a Gredos Ibex and Beceite Ibex on public ground, mountainous ground. There are affordable hunts for those that seek adventure. MTG

Homer

FNG
For those that can't afford it, Mountain goat hunts are a fraction of the price and a great hunt
Mountain goat are awesome critters and live in places a sheep could never survive but it is just a different sort of hunt than sheep hunting in a lot of areas. With sheep numbers hurting I would imagine goat hunting will become more popular and only increase in price.

roymunson

WKR
A lot of things aren't justifiable depending on your viewpoint. Is it justifyable to buy a $6000 gun when a $800 will do? No, but it's priorities.

If you want it bad enough, you'll find side cash to get it done.

I love to hunt, but my family is in Ohio and there's no way I'm moving away just to hunt and fish. That's not the case for everyone.

my wife doesn't hunt, but when I brought up the thought of an Alaska hunt she said "you're not going if I'm not", so she'll be tagging along next fall.

It's all about priorities. I don't wanna shoot a sheep badly enough to give up some of my other luxury spending in my life. And I'm good with that. But if you wanna do it, make a plan, and execute the plan.

MBN

FNG
Mountain goat are awesome critters and live in places a sheep could never survive but it is just a different sort of hunt than sheep hunting in a lot of areas. With sheep numbers hurting I would imagine goat hunting will become more popular and only increase in price.
I agree. I will continue to do both. Sheep have took a big hit here the last 2 springs, but there is still some around.

goose21

FNG
All about priorities. I have big dreams and life is short. I am going to accomplish as many as I can. Too many people have dreams but take no action.

Write a goal
Make a plan to achieve it
Save Money
Get in shape
Book the hunt
Go have fun and make memories

Also stuff like this takes money and planning. Get your personal finances in order and it will be much easier. Also don't listen to 95% of things Dave Ramsey says and you will be miles ahead of most people

xBobby

FNG
I'm sorry for the ignorant question but im completely new to western hunting/ sheep hunting.

when you say you paid 30k for a sheep hunt, does that mean just to get a spot for a drawing or is that a guaranteed tag, obviously not a guaranteed ram but at least the tag go on the hunt its self.

I'm 33 years old, and have zero points in any state. Ive only hunted whitetails in Indiana, and the thought of a couple weeks in the mountains chasing sheep sounds absolutely amazing. just the experience alone. I guess my real question is if i save up 30-40k does that get me in the ring for a sheep or am i still just in a lottery and may never hit, since i haven't racked up points like some that have been doing so their whole life.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I'm sorry for the ignorant question but im completely new to western hunting/ sheep hunting.

when you say you paid 30k for a sheep hunt, does that mean just to get a spot for a drawing or is that a guaranteed tag, obviously not a guaranteed ram but at least the tag go on the hunt its self.

I'm 33 years old, and have zero points in any state. Ive only hunted whitetails in Indiana, and the thought of a couple weeks in the mountains chasing sheep sounds absolutely amazing. just the experience alone. I guess my real question is if i save up 30-40k does that get me in the ring for a sheep or am i still just in a lottery and may never hit, since i haven't racked up points like some that have been doing so their whole life.
A hunt for bighorn in Alberta = tag , 14 days in a tent , mountain food, guide
$60,000
the sheep show is in Reno Nevada this week so get busy :ROFLMAO: ,
my stone sheep hunt was a unjustified $35,000 for a legal ram :(

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
This post struck a sour spot that I've had for a long time. Back in 1996 I had a business that was doing well. My business partner suggested we do a Dall Sheep hunt to celebrate. The cost was 10k at the time - which was a ton of money to me at the time - just like 25-30k is a ton of money to me now. I'd hunted my entire life but never even looked into sheep hunting before he mentioned it, but it sounded fun and I figured for 10k this must be the most awesome thing to do on the planet.

We ended up going out of Palmer Alaska and I shot a GREAT Dall Sheep. Getting that sheep was a ton of work and quite an adventure but honestly, before I even got back on the plane to head home I felt pretty guilty for going on that hunt. It wasn't as fun (to me) as going on a self guided OTC Colordao archery elk hunt and cost a ton more to do it. Don't get me wrong, if you could get tags and do the hunt yourself for 5K I'd do it again today, but I just can't justify the cost and I know this is going to make some folks uncomfortable saying this, but I will anyway. To me, people with higher levels of income have higher levels of responsibility. (Again - my opinion) Spending money on themselves is fine as long as they are also spending money to help this world be better in some way, shape or form.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
This post struck a sour spot that I've had for a long time. Back in 1996 I had a business that was doing well. My business partner suggested we do a Dall Sheep hunt to celebrate. The cost was 10k at the time - which was a ton of money to me at the time - just like 25-30k is a ton of money to me now. I'd hunted my entire life but never even looked into sheep hunting before he mentioned it, but it sounded fun and I figured for 10k this must be the most awesome thing to do on the planet.

We ended up going out of Palmer Alaska and I shot a GREAT Dall Sheep. Getting that sheep was a ton of work and quite an adventure but honestly, before I even got back on the plane to head home I felt pretty guilty for going on that hunt. It wasn't as fun (to me) as going on a self guided OTC Colordao archery elk hunt and cost a ton more to do it. Don't get me wrong, if you could get tags and do the hunt yourself for 5K I'd do it again today, but I just can't justify the cost and I know this is going to make some folks uncomfortable saying this, but I will anyway. To me, people with higher levels of income have higher levels of responsibility. (Again - my opinion) Spending money on themselves is fine as long as they are also spending money to help this world be better in some way, shape or form.
This might be the most important post on this thread because it points out an important fact: sheep hunting is only worth the money and effort *IF* you are are dying to experience it. You and the OP obviously don’t have that burning desire, which is fine. Different strokes for different folks, right?

There are a lot of things that make a sheep hunt special but if those things don’t interest you, then it probably won’t be worth the money or effort.

If you have to ask if sheep hunting is “worth it”, then it probably isn’t going to be worth it to you.

bradb

WKR
Because I only live once, no kids, and puck it I am going to live life to every extent I can. Leave in 31 days for Mexico for desert. Was offered La Palmosa at 25% off from a buddy who was booked and couldn't go. So I have a short term sheep hunt loan.

Because I only live once, no kids, and puck it I am going to live life to every extent I can. Leave in 31 days for Mexico for desert. Was offered La Palmosa at 25% off from a buddy who was booked and couldn't go. So I have a short term sheep hunt loan.
Good luck. Sounds like a great deal you got on that DBHS hunt!. Please post some photos after the hunt. Happy New Year 2023, TheGrayRider!

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, can only afford it as a BC resident…tag is $60.

I need to save up a bit though, would love to go out of country for an aoudad or tahr.

jjbloomer

FNG
So I will start by saying I have always dreamed of sheep hunting. I’ve spent time watching sheep. Sneaking up on them for pictures etc. my odds of drawing a tag in my lifetime are nearly 0. Doesn’t stop me from applying every year in several states. The only “sheep” hunt I’ve ever paid for was a $2750 Aoudad hunt in west Texas. It was awesome and very much what I thought it would be. I also did it before it got any pricier. Same hunt with same outfitter is now $5k. Still a relative bargain in the sheep world.

I have often thought of going on a guided sheep hunt. The price of admission keeps me out of it. Could I save for several years and then go? Sure. No way would I consider it responsible. I don’t even own my home technically since I have a mortgage so the 30k would be responsibly put towards that or paying for a new vehicle when mine inevitably dies. My point being I’m really happy for folks that get to do this but how do you justify spending 30k on the cheap end?
Agreed, $30k for a hunting trip seems pretty excessive IMO.

cbeard64

WKR
Given the demographic of this forum, I am surprised at the number of guys who are so persnickety/downright judgmental of how other people choose to spend their money.

And also the assumptions that are made about what else they do/should do with their money. I could say more but I’ll stop.

At the end of the day what someone chooses to do with their money is really not anyone else’s business.

Decker9

WKR
Just personal preference. If I had cash to buy a guided sheep hunt (north amarican), I’d take as many goat hunts as I could in that price of the sheep hunt. Personally find goats a lot more exciting to hunt and better chance of success, least here in BC.