How do you ghillie users handle orange?

Choupique

WKR
I'm making myself a ghillie suit for some specific hunts. It's rifle, so orange is required. I'm thinking about just cutting up and orange vest and sewing orange strips to the shoulders and hood with an orange square on the back. Curious if any of yall have some cool ideas that are both safe and don't compromise the effectiveness of the suit.

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
I'm definitely doing it. I have a specific spot I like to hunt, and the best way to hunt it is on the ground. It's all up amongst the deer, literally feet away very often. It's ultra fun and I want to try a sasquatch suit in there

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Our rule is 400 square inches or an orange cap. I'm just going to make sure there's 400 square inches on it. I'm not concerned about the law as much as I don't wanna get shot. I want to be able to use it on some of our very long right-of-ways where other hunters could theoretically shoot at me if they thought I was rugaroo.

Of course I won't be wearing it except in very specific cases and will be walking in/out in my regular vest and cap

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Any of yall use leafy suits? It doesn't seem like it'd break your outline really well

I had a cheapo vest and orange ball cap on with my ghilly set last weekend. Didn't see any deer, but it wasn't a concealment problem, just bulky.

I have used leafy suits and they work pretty well. Been within 10 yards of deer and as long as you are still and quiet, they don’t alarm.

on the orange thing, good luck. for me Gillies and leafy suits are a bow season thing. Out west, I am shooting further away and back east there are just too many hunters for me to want to try. Even on private land I have run into too many trespassers during rifle season to want to try it. Too many guns and itchy trigger fingers.

fwafwow

WKR
What did you decide? I was about to buy a leafy/ghillie and found this, so I’m in the same boat.

TaperPin

WKR
I'm not concerned about the law as much as I don't wanna get shot.
I had fun working with a guy for a week - he was a hard core black bear hunter from Minnesota. One year as he sat against a tree with orange hat and vest, watching a bait, waiting for some action, he was shot with a 30-06 in the thigh.

You’d never catch me crawling in a suit after that conversation. The average hunter won’t shoot you, but the dumbest, most drunk one will.

Stickmark

FNG
Simple solution, the addition of orange strips. Place them all over, imo, so you are visible regardless of body position. Human vision is funny, seeing what it wants.
Feedback on leafy suit:
Leafy suits work, but are not magic. I have had close encounters with ASAT leafy suit, 10-30 yds is close to me. Really helps with birds, though. But, again, not magic, and movement still clues the deer. One thing that suit taught me is that deer vision flat out works. My pants wore out, and the shirt got fairly shredded, and I decided that I get over confident with it in bow season, making moves I normally would not make. (hat cover is still useful). As well, I did a lot of phone video test, and sometimes the leafy suit worked great, and other times, too dark of mesh underneath, which shows as the cactclaws shred up the "leaves."
In Arizona, blaze orange is not mandatory. First time I wore my ASAT leafy suit, I saw the "firing squads" unloaded, glassing, off a far off gravel road I missed, and I hustled off the opposing ridge quickly. I would not now wear one in rifle season with out orange. (with the long distance craze, I am even re-thinking khaki and brown, for rifle and bow).

Last edited: