How do you deal with poor harvest rate in the field?

CorbLand

WKR
Not going to lie, I am kind of glad people have been posting about stuff like this recently. Makes me feel like I am not alone.

I use to love hunting. Packed weeks before, work wasnt getting done weeks before because I couldnt wait to leave, etc. Over the last 3 or so years it has dwindled to not really wanting to go, especially for big game. Dont really know what the cause has been, change in personality as I have gotten older, lack of hunting partners, wanting to spend time with my wife, etc. I am not sure.

Its tough because for so long it was who I was. Everyone at work knows that Corbs not going to be around much during the fall and in ways I feel like I need to keep up that image.

For me, I am finding that you just have to change with the change. I spent last weekend on the river with my brother in law fishing and brushing in duck blinds. It was the best 8 hours I have had in a long time. I have a muzzy tag that opens in a week and I would honestly probably rather go chase bass and brush a few blinds in. Maybe next year I will fish all spring/summer and kill ducks and geese in the winter.

I dont know what I will end up doing or what I will end up being but the one thing that I keep coming back to is "who do you have to impress?" For me, that answer is "nobody."

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
When I start getting worn down from tough hunts I start thinking of burning antelope points. Antelope can be as tough or as easy as I choose to make it.

FWIW I do think hunting public lands has gotten tougher over the last decade or so. Lots of technology advances have made it easier for people to locate game and access game. I'm not complaining, it's just the way things go with humans and innovation. Maybe I'm just getting older and slower instead of wiser! Wolves have also been introduced several places, predator control has been hampered in CO for example. I just keep hunting and doing my best but not beating myself up when that isn't enough. For me knowing I quit is harder to take than knowing I failed but gave it my best effort.

Oh, boo hoo!

I moved to OK from TX in '02.
I went from an occasional kill to several kills per year.
The wife and I ate heartily on venison, turkey and fish.
Surgery didn't change things much.
Drought 2010 through 2014 was detrimental to the deer population. Lake dropped to 20% capacity. Fishing suffered greatly!
Still got at least one deer per year.
About 2017, the deer population began to recover, but a "pox" moved through and decimated the turkey population. I haven't killed a turkey since 2019.
Game populations fluctuate depending on several factors.
Some years are good.
Most years are horrid.
From time to time, you'll have a spectacular year!
I haven't killed a deer since 2018.
Two surgeries have kept me sidelined.
This year is the first year I'll have a chance to deer hunt and turkey hunt!
I probably won't kill, but by golly I'll be out there!

Fecal matter occurs!
Don't whine, just keep hunting.
That's why it's called "hunting" and not "killing"!

If you're hungry, go to the grocery store! It's a hell of a lot cheaper! It's just not as much fun.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'd love for Joe, Cam, & Steve to bring this up this fall on a podcast. Titled "Spend more time with family & friends. Tags are too expensive & there are no animals in the woods"
This^ I think people get way too wrapped up with how others are doing via social media, sometimes on hunting forums and remember comparison is the thief of joy. If it’s about killing. This go kill. If it’s about time spent out there then enjoy. If it’s about big racks then hunt animals that have them. I have 2 kiddos under 3 years old right now to say my hunting seasons have changed a bit in the last 3 years is a giant understatement. Went from 100+ days in the field to about 10 if im lucky… I do feel a little guilt when im away but not that much honestly. I have almost completely stopped waterfowl, upland, and predator hunting for the time being so I can big game hunt, remember it will get easier as the kids get older they can tag along some and make it a family adventure

Fatcamp

WKR
I have been archery hunting for years. Never kill squat. I have been very close to a whole bunch of deer, including some very nice bucks.

IDK. Great at finding deer. Excellent at stalking. But something always seems to happen to screw it up at the end.

Have a pile of kills around 300 yards with a rifle, all one shot kills, but that dang archery thing has me puzzled. Waiting until later in the season to hunt this year. 🤞

Will_m

WKR
Hey all. Wanted to put this out there to see if I could lean on anyone else’s experiences.

I have hunted my whole life. Up until recently I never seemed to have a problem harvesting animals. We hunted, found animals, had some luck on our side, and harvested. I live out west and have hunted some private land and now, mostly public otc hunts with 1 private land hunt every other year.

My work and a gracious wife allow me to spend a lot of time in the woods.

About 5 years ago, for whatever reason, animal harvests just seemed to disappear. This includes 4 out of state hunts, and several more in state hunts. Both on foot and on horseback. Close to roads and as far as 14 miles in from a trailhead. I live 4-6 hours from my hunting spots so every hunt turns into a lot of travel.

I hike. More than most. Typically finding myself in areas away from people. Some hunts have had close calls. And some have seen nothing. I feel like I have put in the work, but for whatever reason lacking that last bit of luck to harvest.

Where I’m going with this.

This have challenged my love for hunting. Guilt has crept in now with a wife and two young kids. Many days and nights away, putting the burden on my wife, to come home empty handed time and time again. Its affected my confidence in the field and overall attitude towards hunting. I have found myself in some beautiful places, but it is beginning to feel like the juice is not worth the squeeze.

I do enjoy the hunts and the time spent with buddies. But I do consider a harvest an important part. I don’t expect to harvest on every hunt. But like I said, 5 years, 4 out of state hunts and many in state hunts leaving me frustrated with the time, effort and money spent.

Maybe I sound like a total jackass but any insight would be appreciated. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Would love to hear some thoughts.
Try 8 years brah

Our group of 17 have been skunked at our moose camp for the last 3 years in terms of not drawing a tag. Our 2 weeks in camp became 2 weeks of armed bird watching (shoot a few grouse) with the hopes of hunting a bear or wolf.

This year we have 2 tags so things are looking up.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I used to be in a tree every September and they opened an early velvet hunt here. I sat that one out and barely check my cell cameras. My oldest is finally old enough to at least come with me and he got his first last year. I think I'm looking forward to the youth hunt more this year than the rest of the season.

I booked my first elk trip for 2nd rifle of 2023 so I'm mostly focused on that. I didn't even fish that much this year even after getting a new boat.

Things change but I still love every second I'm out in the woods. Maybe some of yall that talk smack about treestand hunting should try it. In and out in time to put the kids to bed. There's something to be said about that.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I used to be in a tree every September and they opened an early velvet hunt here. I sat that one out and barely check my cell cameras. My oldest is finally old enough to at least come with me and he got his first last year. I think I'm looking forward to the youth hunt more this year than the rest of the season.

I booked my first elk trip for 2nd rifle of 2023 so I'm mostly focused on that. I didn't even fish that much this year even after getting a new boat.

Things change but I still love every second I'm out in the woods. Maybe some of yall that talk smack about treestand hunting should try it. In and out in time to put the kids to bed. There's something to be said about that.
Might try a saddle or a put up a ladder stand for predator hunting this winter in a lodgepole forest. Biggest problem with stand hunting is I know the second I get up there I’ll have a bull bugling his ass off 200 yards away haha 😆

While everyone who hunts expects to kill something face it just don't always happen, guess that’s why its called hunting and not guaranteed killing, or if one who does hunt does it just for the killing perhaps they should take up knitting then you get the I hunt to eat crowd ever sit down and figure out exactly what the total cost of that elk or deer steak really cost you. We all hunt or peruse the sport for different reasons but if its just to kill a animal because well I paid for the tag or some other self imposed ideal of entitlement best take a hard look at one’s motives.

While everyone who hunts expects to kill something face it just don't always happen, guess that’s why its called hunting and not guaranteed killing, or if one who does hunt does it just for the killing perhaps they should take up knitting then you get the I hunt to eat crowd ever sit down and figure out exactly what the total cost of that elk or deer steak really cost you. We all hunt or peruse the sport for different reasons but if its just to kill a animal because well I paid for the tag or some other self imposed ideal of entitlement best take a hard look at one’s motives.

This thread is worded differently than some of the others. But they all have the same " I did the homework, I did the work, wtf" kinda vibe to them.

I gotta wonder how many of them received participation trophy's as kids