How do you deal with poor harvest rate in the field?

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all. Wanted to put this out there to see if I could lean on anyone else’s experiences.

I have hunted my whole life. Up until recently I never seemed to have a problem harvesting animals. We hunted, found animals, had some luck on our side, and harvested. I live out west and have hunted some private land and now, mostly public otc hunts with 1 private land hunt every other year.

My work and a gracious wife allow me to spend a lot of time in the woods.

About 5 years ago, for whatever reason, animal harvests just seemed to disappear. This includes 4 out of state hunts, and several more in state hunts. Both on foot and on horseback. Close to roads and as far as 14 miles in from a trailhead. I live 4-6 hours from my hunting spots so every hunt turns into a lot of travel.

I hike. More than most. Typically finding myself in areas away from people. Some hunts have had close calls. And some have seen nothing. I feel like I have put in the work, but for whatever reason lacking that last bit of luck to harvest.

Where I’m going with this.

This have challenged my love for hunting. Guilt has crept in now with a wife and two young kids. Many days and nights away, putting the burden on my wife, to come home empty handed time and time again. Its affected my confidence in the field and overall attitude towards hunting. I have found myself in some beautiful places, but it is beginning to feel like the juice is not worth the squeeze.

I do enjoy the hunts and the time spent with buddies. But I do consider a harvest an important part. I don’t expect to harvest on every hunt. But like I said, 5 years, 4 out of state hunts and many in state hunts leaving me frustrated with the time, effort and money spent.

Maybe I sound like a total jackass but any insight would be appreciated. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Would love to hear some thoughts.

Is it for the experience or is it for providing meat? I don't hunt very much, but the times I have come home with a harvest is more fulfilling. But I also know that the hunts I went on with no results still gave me and my family benefits other than meat.

go_deep

WKR
Personally from when my kids were about 5 until about 10 I spent less time hunt farther away, found joy in taking my kids fishing and small game hunting with my close to home, half day hunts mostly. Once my kids hit about 10+ years old I started going out a little farther with them, doing a single overnight, and just building them up.
It changed me, I was all about the kill, now I just want the time and experience with them.

Good luck in whatever you decide, but the mountain will be there in 10-15 years, your kids might be off somewhere else

Last edited:

chasewild

WKR
I've hunted 48 nights in 2.5 years and no bow-kills up here in AK. And ya, after my 12 day solo sheep hunt this year, I was completely worked and felt the exact same way.

I, and it sounds like, you, dedicate an incredible amount of emotional capital into hunting - it's more of a cultural identity for me than a hobby/recreational endeavor. And when I don't kill something, it feels like I'm failing at who I am. So I felt like maybe it would be a good idea to dial it back next year. We'll see how it goes, because already, I'm super hungry and doubling down. But I also recognized, for me, that if I don't have a ton of time next year, or if my beautiful wife wants a bigger family vacation, then I should be ok picking up a rifle and wacking an animal. So look for those ways to give yourself some freedom out there if it starts to feel like a burden.

I live in an OTC unit and can be hunting 15 mins from home, so I dont really venture far

For birds, while I love chasing grouse/quail. If I am not seeing much for birds I give em a break, I'll get em next year.

Big game....Hunting is enjoyable no doubt about that. But I am not going to starve to death if I dont fill a tag...

I hunt less and less every year. I'd almost rather go shoot a canyon or ride a dirtbike on my precious time off, than pack a bag of meat up from the bottom of a stupid canyon:ROFLMAO:

I can't help with the statistics, but can definitely relate to the guilt of non harvest. When our girls were little, my wife stayed home with them, times were lean. Big game was a giant source of our meals. I didn't have to travel far from home, but the pressure to harvest sucked all of the fun out of hunting. As the girls got older and they hunted with me, I pressured them to hunt hard and probably ruined them for the sport. Since then I save up through the year and buy a half beef. I still hunt as much as I used to, but not relying on the harvest has taken a lot of pressure off and brought the fun factor back up.

There is an element of selfishness to hunting, especially with guys who have spouses that don't hunt. Dealing with the amount of time spent away from family can create issues for sure. This weekend coming up will be the last weekend that I will be home until Thanksgiving. Then I'm out again until the end of December. Most of the times, I'll be home at night but date nights are certainly on hold until January.

TaperPin

WKR
You aren’t alone - we all go through ups and downs, runs of bad luck make you question things, game populations go up/down, and it must be human nature to change how we hunt slightly with age. I want to believe the same effort is being put into the grunt work of grinding things out, but it’s not. I’ll also try to make the argument I’m hunting smarter, but that’s not true either - young me was pretty sharp.

I can relate to having favorite spots that have been hunted for years - it’s easy to expect them to be the same every year, so we hunt them the same, but that’s somewhat unrealistic. Even fishing spots that were great, change over time.

I remember going through a period of feeling almost guilty for not enjoying some things as much as I used to - it’s human nature. Eventually you’ll just accept that we change with age and not worry about it - do what you feel like, and don’t sweat the things that no longer turn your crank.

WCB

WKR
I guess one question I would ask is are you looking for a specific animal or any legal animal? Also, what kind of areas are you hunting? Are you hunting areas that are easy to draw just to go?....I don't know one hunt except a wolf hunt where I didn't have an opportunity to harvest a legal animal. Also, did your strategy change? I know I went through a slump where I "over planned/tried too hard" I said F that noise and sort of wing it again like I used to and let instincts take over...opportunities and expectations align pretty well when you do it that way IMO>

JFK

WKR
I have been hunting mostly OTC public in Ca. Some of the hardest (read: worst) hunting in the country. Success here is the best feeling ever, for me anyway. I’m more pleased to shoot a solid forked horn buck here than a monster out of state. Like you, I have two young kids at home and have the feeling of “why am I doing this?” sometimes. I guess it comes down to the fact that I’m happier when I get out hunting. It’s a mental break from the daily routines, you see some amazing stuff regardless of success. I’d rather hunt and be unsuccessful than not hunt at all. Having your kids see you pursue and make time for something you love is important.

Or, if you’re truly over it, maybe try a different kind of hunting or different hobby altogether.

Ask yourself, what specific thoughts are triggering a sense of guilt?

Take some time with that, dig deep, go to uncomfortable places in finding those answers. They'll come.

A common shift for guys that happens right around the time of having young kids, is realizing you'd rather be spending time with your kids than your bros. That spending time with the guys, while enjoyable, simply isn't as satisfying as it used to be, and quite often the realization hits that it's a straight-up distraction from your mission of being an excellent father. It may not be time at all, or hunting at all, or harvest success at all. Question all of that.

Question whether or not it's the hunting that's causing guilt, but some mix of feelings about your father mission, the meaning of a shift in your friendships, shifting identity, etc. The advice of guys above to take the kiddos out, and hunt closer to home was excellent. See if you still feel guilty about not coming home with any game, after a morning out with the kids, playing at hunting as part of a family experience.

OP
Bwhntr

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I guess one question I would ask is are you looking for a specific animal or any legal animal? Also, what kind of areas are you hunting? Are you hunting areas that are easy to draw just to go?....I don't know one hunt except a wolf hunt where I didn't have an opportunity to harvest a legal animal. Also, did your strategy change? I know I went through a slump where I "over planned/tried too hard" I said F that noise and sort of wing it again like I used to and let instincts take over...opportunities and expectations align pretty well when you do it that way IMO>
I’d say mature animals. I don’t love going after anything legal. But that’s just my personal preference. With that being said, even the opportunity at just a “legal” animal has been slim lol. Elk there hasn’t been one, bear hasn’t been one, deer I could have shot a two point or two over the years.

IdahoElk

WKR
I sort of burned out on big game after 35yrs of chasing Elk and decided to get a dog and try bird hunting, So much fun working with a dog and getting into birds most days we're out.
I still love Elk hunting but care less about harvesting.

Jimmy

WKR
There's been more than once I've pulled over and had a talk with myself on the way home. Last thing my wife needs after handling things at home, is a grumpy or down husband coming home after being away doing what he loves. She doesn't deserve it, and it's not her fault I didn't shoot anything. So put down my woe is me attitude and be a good husband.

As far as success, it sounds like you're a good hunter. Somethings we go through great stretches and then we have some droughts. I'm sure things will pick up for you!

Sometimes we're stuck between a) we don't want it too easy aka shooting a 200 inch buck from the trailhead, and b) don't want it to hard aka going several years with no harvest. Hard to make a hunter happy sometimes :)

chasewild

WKR
There's been more than once I've pulled over and had a talk with myself on the way home. Last thing my wife needs after handling things at home, is a grumpy or down husband coming home after being away doing what he loves. She doesn't deserve it, and it's not her fault I didn't shoot anything. So put down my woe is me attitude and be a good husband.

As far as success, it sounds like you're a good hunter. Somethings we go through great stretches and then we have some droughts. I'm sure things will pick up for you!

Sometimes we're stuck between a) we don't want it too easy aka shooting a 200 inch buck from the trailhead, and b) don't want it to hard aka going several years with no harvest. Hard to make a hunter happy sometimes :)
I have to do the same thing on the walk out. Often.