How do you choose a custom rifle builder?

LightFoot

WKR
What makes you choose one rifle builder over the over? There are so many great big and small builders like Gunwerks, Allterra, MOA, McWhorter, LRI, LPR, Jarrett, Spartan Precision Rifles…

What would be your dream build, and by who?

Edit:

Considering a new custom with fancy walnut stock. Thinking modern custom action, steel sporter barrel, BDL, in .270 Win.

>>>——JAKE——>

Last edited:
Like most things in life, go with the lowest bidder. What could go wrong? Just playing around.

Finding a good 'smith is hard. The safest option is going with a well-known outfit. That said, local gunsmiths often do excellent work as well, but unless you have firsthand knowledge of quality, it can also be a gamble.

What are you planning on? The type of rifle will help others narrow the list down.

handwerk

WKR
I've mainly built on pre 64 Model 70's and have had great results with folks that know that action.
If you're wanting to build on a Tikka or Rem 700 Clone I think the list gets even longer.
PM me if you're looking for suggestions for a model 70 or Kimber.

I have more than one off your list and a few more over the years. For me it comes down to how the customer service is honestly followed by quality of product. The short answer is there is no one right answer for everyone.

LRIs ability to update customers on the build process with pictures is freaking awesome but their build times can be long depending on what you’re having done.

GA Precision, Alamo Precision and Blue Mountain precision are some worth looking at as well, ya know, cause you didn’t have enough to consider already.

huntnful

WKR
Good communication, proven prior builds and someone that is familiar building the type of rifle you’re envisioning.

I’ve stopped using two gunsmiths just due to poor communication. That shit is annoying when you already sent them a check for the price of components.

Easy communication, short lead times, market rate costs, good results without hiccups, don’t partner with people like muley freak.. Not always easy to line all those things up.

Some of the big shops lose out on communication and you don’t talk to the person doing the work.

eoperator

WKR
Find a shop within driving distance (if possible) with experience building similar to what you want. A smith will think hard about pulling the "rug" out from underneath you knowing he will be talking to you face to face.

snipe10

FNG
I try to research it pretty hard by talking to actual owners. I also look at the PRB website which at least tells me if pro shooters use and trust certain guys, and sometimes I just take a flyer on a guy. I have a bunch of GAP rifles, they're always solid and do what they're supposed to. One from D'Arcy Echols, my grail, a few Hill Country rifles and have a 300PRC from Joe Walls coming in this week. Next June my Lane Precision Rifle arrives. So I'm sort of all over the place as I have rifle ADD.

Call or email the first 5 builders you’d like to use. Then give up after they quote you several years to screw on a barrel. After that go with the guy that has a reasonable turn around time 😂

I look at cost, quality, reviews, and turn around time.

B23

WKR
Find a shop within driving distance (if possible) with experience building similar to what you want.
In the past twenty years I've had gunsmiths across the country as far east as PA build me rifles. All except one was a good experience but there is a lot to be said about having a good quality gunsmith or in my case gunsmiths that are local to you. Defensive Edge Rifles and Kampfeld Customs are both local to me and I've used both on numerous occasions with excellent results. The one bad experience I had with a builder I largely blame myself because I knew going in his communication was email only but I proceeded anyway so shame on me for being that stupid.

Being able to talk face to face about a build or dropping your stuff off in person is not only convenient but also opens up a whole new level of communication. Having used only those two, local to me builders, the last ten plus years I couldn't imagine starting a new build any other way but face to face.

eoperator

WKR
In the past twenty years I've had gunsmiths across the country as far east as PA build me rifles. All except one was a good experience but there is a lot to be said about having a good quality gunsmith or in my case gunsmiths that are local to you. Defensive Edge Rifles and Kampfeld Customs are both local to me and I've used both on numerous occasions with excellent results. The one bad experience I had with a builder I largely blame myself because I knew going in his communication was email only but I proceeded anyway so shame on me for being that stupid.

Being able to talk face to face about a build or dropping your stuff off in person is not only convenient but also opens up a whole new level of communication. Having used only those two, local to me builders, the last ten plus years I couldn't imagine starting a new build any other way but face to face.
Face to face communication will likely avoid situations such as; Why is my build taking 18mo when you quoted me 5? "My reamer got lost in the mail" or Why is it taking a year when you told me 3mo tops everything is in stock? "Still waiting on a stock for your build" or Why will the bolt not close on new peterson brass or hornady ammo? What ammo did you use to shoot the pretty little group on the target included with the rifle if factory ammo will not fit in rifle? Or why did you cut 1/2" thread on my barrel when I asked for 5/8 on this varmint contour?

These are not exaggerations by the way and I have more.