How do you choose a custom rifle builder?

LightFoot

WKR
What makes you choose one rifle builder over the over? There are so many great big and small builders like Gunwerks, Allterra, MOA, McWhorter, LRI, LPR, Jarrett, Spartan Precision Rifles…

What would be your dream build, and by who?

Edit:

Considering a new custom with fancy walnut stock. Thinking modern custom action, steel sporter barrel, BDL, in .270 Win.

>>>——JAKE——>

Last edited:
Like most things in life, go with the lowest bidder. What could go wrong? Just playing around.

Finding a good 'smith is hard. The safest option is going with a well-known outfit. That said, local gunsmiths often do excellent work as well, but unless you have firsthand knowledge of quality, it can also be a gamble.

What are you planning on? The type of rifle will help others narrow the list down.

handwerk

WKR
I've mainly built on pre 64 Model 70's and have had great results with folks that know that action.
If you're wanting to build on a Tikka or Rem 700 Clone I think the list gets even longer.
PM me if you're looking for suggestions for a model 70 or Kimber.

I have more than one off your list and a few more over the years. For me it comes down to how the customer service is honestly followed by quality of product. The short answer is there is no one right answer for everyone.

LRIs ability to update customers on the build process with pictures is freaking awesome but their build times can be long depending on what you’re having done.

GA Precision, Alamo Precision and Blue Mountain precision are some worth looking at as well, ya know, cause you didn’t have enough to consider already.

huntnful

WKR
Good communication, proven prior builds and someone that is familiar building the type of rifle you’re envisioning.

I’ve stopped using two gunsmiths just due to poor communication. That shit is annoying when you already sent them a check for the price of components.

Easy communication, short lead times, market rate costs, good results without hiccups, don’t partner with people like muley freak.. Not always easy to line all those things up.

Some of the big shops lose out on communication and you don’t talk to the person doing the work.