How do you carry your bow?

BBob

WKR
Anybody try something like this? Might give it a shot to see how I like it. Connect it right to the belt strap on my Exo pack.
I’ve been using a belt hook since the early to mid 80’s. Power steering as we say! PSE used to manufacture them under their King branded products. I have two and still going strong after all these years.

First trip to Montana, I used the Cabelas bow sling. Not only did it stink up my basement with the smell of rubber, it also dropped my bow to go careening 50 ft down a slope as we hiked out on a unsuccessful first afternoon. So lucky the bow sustained no damage or even really scratches. After that I just carried it in my hand. Partner had I think the bow Spider holder that I will grab next time I go for archery. It has worked well for him 3 seasons now.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I own the Kuiu Bow pack holder. But I almost never use it.

If not in my hand, I usually rest my bow on my shoulders with the sight on one side and the stabilizer on the other. I keep a hold of the stabilizer with my right hand.

Elk97

WKR
Anybody try something like this? Might give it a shot to see how I like it. Connect it right to the belt strap on my Exo pack.

https://www.amazon.com/High-Point-Products-Shooters-Available/dp/B07913TTYL
I had something similar, a hook on my pack belt. It was good for when I stopped and wanted to glass but the rest of the time it was kind of a pain. I carry my bow by the handle so the string is up and it would always catch on the hook and after awhile I noticed it was wearing the string pretty bad. Got rid of it and don't really miss it, when I need to glass I just hold the bow between my legs.

Kifaru Gunbearer with an extra long top strap. Hands free, almost instant availability and you can use your hiking poles with it. Been using the GB since my first Kifaru Longhunter back in 2000. Now a days the top strap they furnish is too short on the Gunbearer so get a longer strap so the bow can be carried tipped forward enough to not hit you in the face.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
In hand 90% of time, in modified Kifaru gun bearer other 10%. Modified gun bearer has "bucket" replaced with large plastic swiveling hook that attaches to riser pretty much anywhere.

Ope

FNG
I got 2 new things to try out this season as I don't like having to set my bow down to drink water or use my binos. I have a Marsupial bino harness and they sell two hooks that attach to the bottom so I can hang my bow on my chest or by my side while I'm doing something else with my hands like drinking/snacking/glassing and its still pretty ready. For traveling in deep before light, I don't like having my bow in hand so I bought the kuiu pack bow carrier. It lets me get to my bow easily while on my pack with just one clip so when first light arrives I can be ready if need be if I haven't gotten to where I'm going yet, and the bucket protects the bottom cam. I haven't done much field testing yet but my initial testing around the yard was positive. Hope it helps.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Sight on one side of my neck, stabilizer on the other with the bow resting on the pack. If you're just walking it stays put pretty well and always easy to get to. To me it beats having to hold onto it all day

mtnkid85

WKR
I slip the Kuiu string cover on it then run a strap on the back of my exo through the riser and one across the quiver to hold the arrows in place. I lost a few arrows before I started running the strap over the top of the quiver. If im actively hunting, ill just set the bow on my shoulders.

Seeknelk

WKR
You don't need anything fancy. Just put a couple of your packs straps over the bow. But not if it's daylight. Then it needs to be in your hand.

noroads

FNG
Corey Jacobsen has some sort of hook on his waist belt of his pack that could hold his bow by the grip. I remember him mentioning it some years back in one of his videos and that it's not made anymore. Seems really convenient. I wish I could find out what it was.
They are still made, maybe not his exact one but I’ve been using one for several years and hardly ever carry my bow in hand. If you use a 15” or longer (quvalizer) than the stabilizer keeps the bow in place nicely even while hiking. Bow is always at my side unless on a motorcycle and the hook attaches to my pack.

Most time it's in my hand. I do have a strap off an old gym bag and added a loop of cord to the snap hooks that I can loop around the base of limbs near riser when I need both hands free. Takes only a few seconds to take out of my pocket and attach.My pack has a bow pocket and straps but have only used a couple times. Takes to much time and messing around taking pack on and off and strapping bow down.

Is it bad for the bow to hang from the d-loop?

I rigged a little hook to the bottom of my bino harness, and the bow is in my hand unless I'm glassing, getting water etc. Then I hang it by the d-loop from the bottom of the bino harness for a few minutes.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Is it bad for the bow to hang from the d-loop?

I rigged a little hook to the bottom of my bino harness, and the bow is in my hand unless I'm glassing, getting water etc. Then I hang it by the d-loop from the bottom of the bino harness for a few minutes.
Standing still it should be ok, but I'd be worried that too much bumping while walking would shift the loop on the string.

I tried the bow spider last year. Didn’t care for it much, the reach over your back and hang the bow feature didn’t work at all with a day pack - can’t imagine a fully loaded exo pack. And the hip belt didn’t stay secured with the chest strap.

I just use the outer straps now on my pack now.

Unrelated: WTS bow spider rig, pack holster and hip belt holster.

Mikido

WKR
I bought the bow carrier thingy with my new EXO. Doubt I’ll use it much. I just carry my bow in my hand. It’s also advantageous to add a very small hook to your hip belt that you can hang the bow from by the D loop. This is good for when you need both hands and are standing (taking a minute to glass an area etc). A lightweight bow is also nice. My bow is a 2014 Mathews Creed XS. Very light at 5 lbs 4 oz with a full quiver.
I use the same bow, with the same pack, however my method is much more refined…..I plop it on the ground. The quiver and sight keep the string up at a decent degree. Been doing this since I owned the bow. $1000 hunk of metal
Should be able to take some
Abuse.