How do you carry your bow?

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,

Last year I went bow hunting for the first time in the rocky mountains. The terrain was pretty rough and I soon realized a new/lighter bow was needed. In addition I'm trying to figure out the best solution for attaching to my pack. I have a kifaru backpack and was just wondering how some of you would attach yours? I don't mind carrying going uphill, but getting a little old to carry downhill, especially with a load of meat.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I attach mine to my pack I just run two of the straps across the riser and cinch them down with the quiver out. But 99% of the time I just carry my bow in my hand.......by the string. And my bow is 38" ATA so heavier than most.

Steve1662

FNG
Nothing fancy for me. 90% in my hand and jerry-rig strapped to pack the rest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I bought the bow carrier thingy with my new EXO. Doubt I’ll use it much. I just carry my bow in my hand. It’s also advantageous to add a very small hook to your hip belt that you can hang the bow from by the D loop. This is good for when you need both hands and are standing (taking a minute to glass an area etc). A lightweight bow is also nice. My bow is a 2014 Mathews Creed XS. Very light at 5 lbs 4 oz with a full quiver.

Last edited:
Montana bow sling.

Front strap is on my left shoulder strap, rear strap off the side of my pack. Keeps it ready, but keeps the weight off my arm. The sling just uses 2 hooks so it lifts right out, no buckles or anything.

I have used the Exo carrier, it's nice for carrying it, not so great for getting to it. Also if you have a heavy pack it's kinda in the way getting the pack off.

I just sling it over my shoulder no matter what I’m hunting. The only animal I could see using something to carry it would be deep winter mountain lion hunt.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
My uncle, always a tinkerer, made up some hooks that attached to the waist belt of his pack. The hooks folded out about 5-6" in front of him, and he could rest his gun there to take some weight off his arms while holding it in kind of a ready position.

Seeing that made me think about adding hook or two to my pack to do something similar with my bow. Just a place to hook it a little and take some weight off my arm while carrying.

Always In hand for me. I’ve taken a few falls on the mountain before and worry if it’s in my backpack then I would land and hurt my bow

HbDane

WKR
In my hand by string or riser, unless I'm climbing or something where I need both hands then I strap it to the pack

DanimalW

WKR
Montana bow sling.

Front strap is on my left shoulder strap, rear strap off the side of my pack. Keeps it ready, but keeps the weight off my arm. The sling just uses 2 hooks so it lifts right out, no buckles or anything.

I have used the Exo carrier, it's nice for carrying it, not so great for getting to it. Also if you have a heavy pack it's kinda in the way getting the pack off.
It is pretty slick.

rclouse79

WKR
I just ordered the Montana bow sling and played around with it. I think I am going to like it as long as I am mindful to keep my string away from moving parts.

DanimalW

WKR
I just ordered the Montana bow sling and played around with it. I think I am going to like it as long as I am mindful to keep my string away from moving parts.
That is the drawback with it for sure. When I take the bow off of it, I flip the straps back over my shoulder for a quick fix. Otherwise unbuckle the hooks and toss them in the pack if you’re not going to use it for a while. They hook everything if they’re not on your bow, but it’s pretty easy to navigate through brush with the bow on it. I still hold my bow, and I’m able to steer it through stuff on the sling. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Typically in my hand by the string or if on the grip the bow it usually flipped with the string closest to the ground. I've tried carrying it on my pack before, but wasn't a fan when attempting to crawl through brush as it continued to get hung up IME.

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
I run a kifaru hoodlum and set the bottom cam in the carry handle and criss cross the bottom and middle compression straps. But like everyone else I carry the bow most of the time. Not sure what is heavy or light for a bow setup averages but mine weighs almost 8 lbs and im guessing its on the heavier side. Im good with that, the wind doesnt buck it as much and the weight tames pin shake when my buck fever kicks in!

Yooper

WKR
Corey Jacobsen has some sort of hook on his waist belt of his pack that could hold his bow by the grip. I remember him mentioning it some years back in one of his videos and that it's not made anymore. Seems really convenient. I wish I could find out what it was.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I stop for whatever reason, I just lean my bow against a tree or rock or just lay it on the ground. I've never wanted it hanging from my waist.

87TT

WKR
In my hand so I can use it when needed. I don't even use a rifle sling until I have to haul meat.

rclouse79

WKR
That is the drawback with it for sure. When I take the bow off of it, I flip the straps back over my shoulder for a quick fix. Otherwise unbuckle the hooks and toss them in the pack if you’re not going to use it for a while. They hook everything if they’re not on your bow, but it’s pretty easy to navigate through brush with the bow on it. I still hold my bow, and I’m able to steer it through stuff on the sling. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion.
I am going to have to be mindful of the hooks as well. I could see Murphy's Law coming into play with those. I wasn't very specific, but my original worry was wearing out my bow string prematurely. Last year I devised a way to walk with my bow under my arm, much like a rifle with a Kifaru gun bearer. I thought it was pretty sweet after a weekend of hiking around and then noticed the bottom of my string had been brushing back and forth against my pack and pants causing it to be toast. It seems like the Montana bow sling can be adjusted to minimize this, but I am going to keep it in mind. New bow strings are expensive, and getting your bow all set up again can be a pain.