How do you all organize/plan hunts and such?

h3r37ic

FNG
I am looking for advice on how everyone organizes things like important dates, and all the things you have to do before you even get out in the field. I have looked at things like hunting journals but that is more of what happened in the field.

bozeman

WKR
spreadsheet.....what animals you want to hunt, then what states you want to hunt in, then dates of season, then draw details (how many points needed). or just buy a subscription to GoHunt or another service that does this.

cciliske

FNG
For our small hunting group, do a google sheet for the year (spreadsheet) with multiple tabs that include tags, points tracking, day by day schedule, gear list, and meal planning. That said, we're a group of nerdy accountants and engineers so its how our brains work. The accountants heads would explode if a spreadsheet wasn't involved.

Google sheets are nice though to share data amongst a group as it keeps everyone organized and everyone can access / real time share.

TaperPin

WKR
I like to get dates figured out way in advance, or it never fails someone in the group will require a weird date, then decide to not even show up, but we’ll be locked into the date or the hunt area.

If the trip is really important to me I’ll plan it and tell the others they are welcome to come a long, but the trip details are set in stone.

I’ll have an equipment list of what I’m bringing (my standard check list so nothing is forgotten) and any must haves or things to avoid for others.

Many like to research online, but I still like paper maps to be able to visualize the areas better. BLM and FS maps are my favorite. I still have a printed road atlas for planning.

For specific travel and misc details while on the road I think in terms of what’s being done each day and can write everything for that day on one sheet of paper for one person or 20. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

I’ll throw out the itinerary I like to the group, along with snapshots of maps, motel reviews, meal ideas. If someone has a better idea, or it makes people happy it’s not a big deal to me if we eat at a nicer or cheaper restaurant, or if we take a more northern or southern route. I do have a hard stop after 12 hours of travel.

As for specific hunt areas, I don’t pay much attention to odds - I’m partial to specific areas and if those don’t get drawn I’d rather not go to a mediocre spot. Hunting a new area in itself is a big warning that it’s going to be harder than it has to be.

For the most complicated situations I’ll pin up maps, itineraries, photos, etc on a war room wall. In my obsessive mule deer days I had a pretty good section of NW Wyoming maps on the wall all year and as information came in I’d add post it notes.

I’ve made a good size dry erase board for important dates and whatnot, but other years I’ve been happy with a spreadsheet. My brain visualizes better if it’s on a wall.

At one time I had every BLM and FS map for all of Wyoming in a travel bag. Our local college library had all the topo quads for the entire state.

Over time many things become second nature - when a friend wants to hunt a certain area, within seconds I’ve visualized the route and roughly what the country looks like. Within minutes the odds, hunting pressure and dates start to sink in. Usually I’ll not want to make it “our” trip - he can figure out what he’s happy with and I’ll go along, maybe in my own rig if his plan sucks.

Last edited:

SonnyDay

WKR
I don't hunt out of state (I'm in CO), and only hunt with my sons or very close friends... so I don't have as much coordination as many others do.

But in terms of making sure everything gets done and nothing gets forgotten... for me it's all about lists. I have a bunch of Google Docs with gear lists, personal lists, food lists, etc. It works.

I use my notes on my Ipad. Important dates I use my calendar on lpad syncing to my iphone.
In my notes I title it 2024/5 Hunting. Then outline my hunts and dates on what I need to do to pack or prepare and what I need to do when I get to camp. I also keep a extensive meal idea list and select from that. I also keep a need to buy list of items and each item has a priority. I make a list while at camp of supplies needed so I don’t have to remember what I need the next trip. I spend a lot of time planning and less time screwing up on a trip or chasing down items once I am there.

I plan like crazy but always remain very flexible and go with the flow. Although I find it irritating if I have to run one of my hunting buddies around half an afternoon looking for some sort of obscure battery for their $10 flashlight or scope battery they should have replaced before the trip. Actually I keep a pretty good supply of different batteries in a plano box in my cabin and find here lately I have what they need.

OP
h3r37ic

h3r37ic

FNG
That HuntWallet app is close to what I am looking for. I do not plan on hunting out of state, just want to get more organized. I did find a Notion template from a website that is pretty nice.

Here is the link to that.