How are you getting your calories on the mountain?

Over here in NZ we are very limited on options for "backpacking food" compared to what you guys have available- and to be frank I've tried a few Clif bars and sometimes it's like eating sawdust.

I usually skip breakfast all together- a bit of a hangover from working as a dairy farmer where I couldn't think of anything worse than eating at 3am before milking cows. So instantly that is one less meal I'm packing. I try take stuff I know I'll enjoy to eat everytime so for me a days ration looks like-

Cheese + Salami Sandwich or Bagel with Cream Cheese
Bier Sticks (Usually home made and spicy- helps the guts a bit)
Nutrigrain bar or similar
Homemade trailmix with M&Ms
Sometimes a cup of noodles, ramen or soup
Homemade Dehy- I've tried most of the brands we get here and only 1 is edible and I've tried a couple from the states like Peak Refuel and Mountain House and they're just not ideal so making your own is just a better option.

My missus is the calorie counter and I'll have to check with her but I think my trail mix is roughly 800 calories worth haha

TaperPin

WKR
Stove top stuffing in a big baggie is easy to make - just made me salivate thinking about it, so yep, it’s still on the list. I also have a soft spot for instant potatoes some years.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Candy bars are a staple on our trips. Not the healthiest way to get it but a king size Twix after getting your ass kicked all day is a huge pick me up. I bring two king size candy bars per day lol

Pdzoller

WKR
I like to have some stuff to mix and match. Sauce packets, peanut butter packets, etc… I like to bring stuff for changing it up. Mashed potatoes and spam, top ramen with chicken, peanut butter and soy sauce. Maybe some fall boletes, olive oil and garlic. Possibilities are endless with some extra ingredients that don’t take much room.

Pdzoller

WKR
Forgot to mention spam and macaroni and cheese. Check out the calorie content. May cause some constipation though.