How are guys finding ammo?

TheCougar

WKR
I’d like to hear some winning strategies for finding ammunition. I’ve got exactly 31 rounds of 7mm RM Precision Hunter and about 60 rounds of 6.5CM Precision Hunter ammunition left. I’ve got dope built for those two bullets, but I can’t find them anywhere. AmmoSeek hasn’t had them in a couple of months. I’m not paying $90 for a box on Midway. The manufacturers are still making bullets, so where are they going? How are you guys getting ammunition? What should I be doing to maximize my chance of getting enough ammo for practice and hunting season???

fmyth

WKR
In the last few weeks I've bought some rifle ammo online from Cabelas, Federal Premium, and SGammo. I've also gone to Sportsmans Warehouse on Tuesday mornings and have been able to buy 2 boxes each trip. I've purchase .270 at Walmart twice in the last 2 weeks.

Just ask the store workers when the trucks come in and check those days.

Bought 4 boxes of 7mm rem mag hornady the other day at an undisclosed nebraska retailer. . . Salesmen said it typically lasts about 2 days on the shelf for less popular calibers

*zap*

WKR
Your going to have to be creative and it will help a bunch if you know how to wheel and deal/barter.
Buy what you see available at the best prices and trade for what you need. Network and be ready to barter.

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
I reload so I don’t need ammo, this is all 6.5cm. Sent it to my buddy because he was looking. The local hardware store had this all in the shelf a couple days ago when I was there and a bunch of reloader.

Also all of the wildcat ammo is there, 280AI, 28 Nosler, 26 Nosler, 257 Robert’s and a bunch more.

60D8BA32-9ACF-4C99-A8C2-3AC4864006B4.jpeg

Up a creek without a paddle....

You’ve settled on hard to get stuff, and with most shops now having purchase limits it would be hard to stock up now.
Your probably left with buying whatever you can get and hoping it shoots well.
For my 6.5’s the Hornady SST loads hit right with the ELD-X out past 300. You might consider those.

like was suggested, find out the local delivery days and get in line. Or pay $5 a round on gun broker buying from the folks who are willing to stand in line.

big44a4

WKR
For local retailers here you need to be in line 2hrs before store opens if you want popular calibers unless they get big shipment. Ask what days they getting shipments. Show up and if they get none you lost sleep/time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better hurry check federal
258bc8ebe3a1aac81f4210ba4e045c02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
All of the sudden, the guys with the uncommon calibers are the only ones who can walk in a store and find their ammo on the shelf. I do not buy rifle ammo personally, I make my own, but have been in several stores over the last week and seen plenty of ammo, just nothing popular.

Brianmp01

WKR
Were i am at no one must shoot 270 or 7mm that is all I can find one the shelf. Almost every store around me has a butt load of 270.

Fatcamp

WKR
All of the sudden, the guys with the uncommon calibers are the only ones who can walk in a store and find their ammo on the shelf. I do not buy rifle ammo personally, I make my own, but have been in several stores over the last week and seen plenty of ammo, just nothing popular.

Ya, .300 magnums are in stock around here often. 7mm too.

Ike

FNG
Finding it right now at a price I consider palatable? Not happening.

I spent Trumps Presidency buying copper jacketed currency. Mows the time to hold, not buy.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Ugh. I was hoping that making trips to stores and waiting in the parking lot wasn’t going to be the answer. I guess the guys who do that o don’t have to go to work. I’m in a semi-rural area, and the nearest place I know of that stocks those bullets is a ways. I normally buy 100% of my ammo online.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ugh. I was hoping that making trips to stores and waiting in the parking lot wasn’t going to be the answer. I guess the guys who do that o don’t have to go to work. I’m in a semi-rural area, and the nearest place I know of that stocks those bullets is a ways. I normally buy 100% of my ammo online.

Post a picture of exactly what you are looking for. My wife is going to Scheels because her coffee is in stock this morning. I will have her check. You would need to pay shipping, but might be an option.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Post a picture of exactly what you are looking for. My wife is going to Scheels because her coffee is in stock this morning. I will have her check. You would need to pay shipping, but might be an option.
After paying shipping he's better off buying local from someone on Armslist or something. Because ammo can't go USPS, you're over a barrel with shipping. I was going to ship 25 rounds of .22-250 ammo to a guy and it was just shy of $18 for a 1.6lb box. Shipped 38lbs of ammo yesterday and it cost $89.

KsRancher

WKR
Holy smokes. That's expensive. I shipped 24lbs to a guy a week ago. $16, but I had to drive it 60 miles to a UPS distribution center

Fatcamp

WKR
After paying shipping he's better off buying local from someone on Armslist or something. Because ammo can't go USPS, you're over a barrel with shipping. I was going to ship 25 rounds of .22-250 ammo to a guy and it was just shy of $18 for a 1.6lb box. Shipped 38lbs of ammo yesterday and it cost $89.

Hmmmm. UPS policy states no additional fees for "Cartridges, small arms."

Certain advantages to having a local store. When you are a good customer they take care of you. They let me know when stuff is coming or if it suddenly shows up, will set stuff aside for me. Also aren't unreasonable on cost. Some stuff has gone up 8-10%. Most is still same price.

Through the years I was always giving them my business to support a local business, even when I could sometimes save a few dollars online, and they knew it. Nice to see it pay off.