How and When to take young kids elk hunting?

stonewall

WKR
I have been pondering just how to go about taking my kids (under age 10) along archery elk hunting. Being from TX, it's always a long trip regardless of what state I'm going to, and it's 7-10 days away from home (we home school btw). and as you know, elk hunting is physically demanding. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. At the moment I'm thinking about putting a pause on elk and focusing on pronghorn until they are a bit older. I'm curious to hear what others have been able to do. thanks!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Take the whole family and do a truck camp setup that's comfortable for them. Then you can take them on short jaunts, or they can stay back in camp with mom. There's nothing like September in elk country. If you pick the right spot they can even do some fishing. Make it a vacation with some elk hunting thrown in.

go_deep

WKR
When my kids were around 5, I'd just take them on day hunts. Maybe leave before light and be home at noon, maybe be gone all day if they were having fun, maybe leave at noon and come back at dark. Just roll with how they're doing, keep it fun.

I'm going to wait until they can carry their own quarter out. I'll take them deer hunting, turkey hunting and bird hunting anytime but they won't hunt elk with me until they can prove they can carry their own weight....and then some.

cnelk

WKR
My daughter played competitive softball and then went on to play softball in college so she never had the time.

My son on the other hand, came along elk hunting when he was pretty young. He’s 24 now.

I remember his favorite part was putting on face paint.

Keep the hunts short, give them a cow call, walk slower, carry snacks and don’t expect to see many elk.

But you won’t care.

57464B73-6AF3-4B8E-8525-B316BBA4DE93.jpeg4074FCE4-04AC-4089-86E6-1A456DF0A7DE.jpeg

Since you are in texas you are stuck in the same boat I was probably. Getting them out and not missing too much school and fighting the transportation logistics. Starting point is about 10&12 years old for cow hunts...get them out running around chasing rabbits first but you probably know the issues with that in texas as far as private land. Spring break / MLK line up for jack rabbit camps in tucson. Eastern colorado lines up for rabbits and pheasants. Other than wyoming / montana antelope it has been easier to line up elk / deer than anything else as far as big game.

1. Arizona has cow elk tags with good odds that line up to dates for fall breaks most years. Take a look at youth mentored hunting camps...get your kids out there for a trip to grand canyon and get them the extra point. It helps. My kids were getting drawn every other year. I can get direct flights from DFW to Tucson, PHX or flagstaff. Javelina for spring is good as well. Arizona Elk Foundation does a phenomenal job supporting that program and really try to help out along with wardens, biologists and other volunteers.
2. NM has poor chances but has dates that line up for elk but they shut down the non-resident youth encouragements over christmas break a few years back which were phenomenal. If you do NM look at doing the turkey seasons for youth. They can get out a little earlier and it typically lines up to easter if memory serves. Did that a few times and kids had fun.
3. Colorado only really lines up for 1st elk season...Other people can chime in here...I have limited experience trying to do that. I know they have something that allows tags to roll over later have not tried to look at that...but pheasant and rabbits on eastern side of the state make a good three day weekend trip.
4. Wyo is a no-go due to dates typically for rifle...and travel logistics ( you can really only go into DEN,SLC or Casper) except on some of the goofy type six licenses but they usually end up being wilderness areas where the dates are conducive to interfering with school.
5. Montana you get a general combo you can get your kids in for thanksgiving hunt over the counter. I have done that and got them out for mule deer repeatedly over thanksgiving. They've never got an elk in montana but they have gotten deer repeatedly.

It will depend on the kid...my oldest has been on board trying to help pack out starting from age 14 give them backstraps only at that age...his younger brother has no interest in elk because of the multiple trips to get meat out. Mule deer no issue.

Covid remote learning was great last year got my kid a bear tag and he got to follow me around during archery season and have a bull come in bugling in his face. Did all his classes via hot spot and then got out with me in the evenings.

All comes down to how much school you can miss and what type of flexibility you have. I was lucky I could usually find a way to park my vehicle out wherever we were going a week ahead and have them fly out and just grab them at the airport and bundle them off to the starting point. Wife or buddy would pick them up afterwards and help them carry all the meat of the baggage carousel...having a 14/12 year old trying to carry four checked duffel bags full of quarters is asking a little much and already gets enough stares from TSA.

Just remember success is a happy kid not punching a tag, keep them warm, hydrated, rested and fed and they will want to do it again.

I make sure to set aside a few days that are just family hunts with the kids. easy hikes, good food, areas where they can see wildlife and experience it.

I haven’t done elk so I can’t give much advice on that yet. But my son is seven now and our hunts are very short and sweet. We have hunted turkey and Whitetail together and I would say he lasts about an hour. That said, if you were doing more hiking and stalking he may last two or three hours. Sitting in a stand, he gets bored easily and as soon as he is done, we are done and I don’t push it anymore that way he wants to go back. I agree with good snacks. It’s amazing how excited they’ll be just to have some candy and jerky. At 10 he will probably last a bit longer but it seven his attention span is still just way too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iaff3666

FNG
Depends on the kid and their level of maturity. I took them both when they were 15 to a general area in WY. Being from PA , we drove out Thursday after school and were hunting Saturday evening. Flew them back the following Sunday. My oldest one loved every minute of and can’t wait to go again. My youngest talked a good game till we got there and was miserable. We left early due to his sh*tty attitude.
You know your kids do what right fir them. My youngest will need to show he wants it before I’ll go out there with him again. Sounds horrible but it was frustrating!

enjoy

Also, it’s important for kids to see and experience animal death. Real death. And what comes after.

Agree. My then 6 year old was with me and we shot a whitetail together (well, I shot) for the same experience. It was great actually. After the shot and everything calmed, we walked out of the blind. I saw it about 75 yards away. I said, “hey buddy, what’s that?” He replied “Success!”

Then he watched me guy it and then butcher it and pack into a cooler. It was great for him to see and have a new respect for what it means to sacrifice life for food. It was very powerful for him. He was a little worked up when the butchering began but then was very proud that our dinner that night came from that animal.

All in all I think the age, maturity and interest of the kid is going to answer the OPs situation. My kid won’t be ready to pull the trigger for a couple years still. And that’s OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth

WKR
If you opt to take them, I don’t think it’s ever too early IF you keep the trip about them, and know you’re not likely to kill…. And you are OK with that. My kids have been in the woods since they could ride in a backpack.

They have been along for deer, pronghorn, elk, and small game…. Rifle, muzzy, and archery. Obviously early rifle can give you good options. Keep it fun…. If they aren’t having fun, so something else for awhile.

Consider it an investment. Hunting with my kids definitely cost me opportunities to fill tags. Now my kids love to go and hunt on their own tags. Hopefully they will continue to pursue the lifestyle, and one day, they can return the favor and take me hunting.

My first trip was when I was 5. A rifle mule deer hunt with my dad and two older brothers. 6” of snow on the ground wearing rubber irrigation boots. Followed him around all day loving every minute of it. We even had truck problems and had to walk out a few miles to a house to call my dads friend to com pick us up. That was 1982 and I try to go as often as possible.

Regrettably, I haven’t taken my own kids near as often due to not drawing tags and work. It’s been rabbit hunts and fishing mostly. I’m shutting down one side of my job to allow more freedom to take them out a lot more. I can’t wait!

mcr-85

WKR
I took my 2 little boys two years ago, ages 6 and 2 at the time. We camped in camp trailers. Opening morning we didn't see an elk. We spent the afternoon fly-fishing a little creek catching native cutthroats. I glassed this spike up from camp the evening of opening day. My boys hung out with my sister and their cousins while I made the stalk. I got up there and got him killed right before dark. After I got the meat off the hill the next day we went back to fly fishing the creek. It was a damn fun hunt, one of my favorite of all time. It was short and sweet and successful.
3128343dc622c4b3b300e2eeb83fb8a2.jpg
eb2dacf203e52799d99cb852cea8bc27.jpg
f066bc69bc6358f92f05740fac816c96.jpg
05fa4f06ffb74857e3ac0a3a16d8f558.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
I was in hunting camp from the time I was a baby. Not sure how old when I really started leaving camp and going along but it was young. I distinctly remember being “hunting guide” for two of my dads coworkers when I was 8 or 9. The truth was I know the area way, way better than they did and could be trusted to get them out and back from camp

OP
stonewall

stonewall

WKR
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share. There’s some good stuff in here. I have been able to get my kids in on deer and turkeys here in texas. Have yet to get a turkey though. My oldest will be going on her first pronghorn hunt this October. I’m probably more excited than she is. Haha. My youngest daughter is anxious to go too

Sled

WKR
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share. There’s some good stuff in here. I have been able to get my kids in on deer and turkeys here in texas. Have yet to get a turkey though. My oldest will be going on her first pronghorn hunt this October. I’m probably more excited than she is. Haha. My youngest daughter is anxious to go too
antelope is where i started my kid too. when he was able to hold the shotgun we started duck hunting. now he is doing his first mulie hunt at 12. his first elk hunt will depend on how he enjoys the deer hunt. out here, a lot is dependent on what tags you can get.