Votes: 3 3.1%
  • $50,000 - $100,000

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • $100,000 - $200,000

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • $200,000+

Votes: 34 34.7%

• Total voters
I don't want to be the person that harps on this, but there's a giant glut of hunters aged 60-75 that are retiring with a ton of cash and it's driving the price of brown bear/moose/sheep/etc hunts up astronomically. Baby Boomers make up 1/3 of all hunters, we're stuck in a giant supply and demand problem, with the supply decreasing and the demand going up.

Sure would have been nice of the Baby Boomers to care about sheep numbers and habitat 20 or 30 years ago, instead of now when they're all scrambling to get their Grand Slam and complaining about the price
While there is some truth that many hunters had careers that regardless of finances simply didn’t allow them to take 17-21 consecutive days off to travel and complete a guided sheep hunt. I‘m certainly not going to throw cold water on folks for spending a lifetime working and finally enjoying free time and the fruits of their labor. God bless them, they’ve earned it.

However, I’m convinced that group is not the prime source of the ever-increasing prices and demand for sheep hunts. When I open the GSCO magazine there are often folks pictured and congratulated for earning their 7th, 8th, 9th ….. Grand Slam. This strongly suggests that many who begin chasing North American Wild Sheep, never stop. This is a significant demand stream, coupled all of those entering the market for species that are not growing in supply.

In addition, there is strong demand from a growing subset of European Hunters regularly coming on North American Sheep Hunts. Once transitioned at the end of a sheep hunt with a group of Old-Money Europeans (who fill this camp every year on Sheep-Mixed Bag Hunts).

Just completed going to a number of 2023 Sportsman’s Shows and demand for guided hunts for all species, but especially sheep, is off the scale. This may in part be due to the Covid lockdowns, but many outfitters are booked way further in advance than normal. Spoke with many sheep outfitters whose next openings are in 2026.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want to be the person that harps on this, but there's a giant glut of hunters aged 60-75 that are retiring with a ton of cash and it's driving the price of brown bear/moose/sheep/etc hunts up astronomically. Baby Boomers make up 1/3 of all hunters, we're stuck in a giant supply and demand problem, with the supply decreasing and the demand going up.

Sure would have been nice of the Baby Boomers to care about sheep numbers and habitat 20 or 30 years ago, instead of now when they're all scrambling to get their Grand Slam and complaining about the price.

Looks like Rokslide must really be the outlier for hunters then; I see one hunter who is 65 years old on the survey; look like maybe you meant the 35-50 years old which make up over half of the folks :ROFLMAO:

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting poll.

The income answers do not surprise me. I am mildly surprised no one so far has been over 50 on their first sheep hunt.
I’ll be 63 on my first sheep hunt this fall. I retired 2 years ago and I’m living off SS aand minimal withdrawals from investments. But this years and next years sheep hunts are being paid out of net worth. This spring I went on a Brown Bear hunt to AK on a cancellation and booked it the same day I received the email. I told several outfitters if they have cancellations call me since I can go at the drop of a hat. 30 years ago before kids and a business I went on 2 to 3 hunts a year then took a 27 year break…..now I am making up for lost time before I’m no longer physically able. Just booked my flights 30 minutes ago and will be at the Edmonton Renaissance Sept 17 and 27th if anyone else will be there the same time

Last edited:

wildcat33

WKR
what does a guided sheep hunt cost all in ? Guide tag transport accommodations etc

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
what does a guided sheep hunt cost all in ? Guide tag transport accommodations etc

Its going to vary significantly by person and situation. Some people fly first class which may double, triple, or quadruple flight cost. Some people also shoot a caribou, which brings a trophy fee, and adds to taxidermy, expediting, and possibly tip. Just tips can vary by thousands of dollars depending on how generous the hunter is, and how many folks he is tipping (guide, wrangler, cook, base camp staff).

Last edited:
Interesting poll.

The income answers do not surprise me. I am mildly surprised no one so far has been over 50 on their first sheep hunt.
This is an interesting poll. I am finding the answers and variety extremely interesting. Everyone is correct. there could be SO many more options and columns added to this poll. After working 6 and 7 days a week for the last 50 years, and working 65 - 80 hours a week. ( Grew up in a family business / Self employed ) I am finally taking the leap and taking some time off to explore. ( I'm 59 ) and heading out for my first Dall Sheep Hunt. I couldn't be more excited. I will be taking my son / hunting partner along. Its a heck of a commitment, but I cant wait any longer. My first goal is to explore, and see something else in this great land. Should the good lord bless me with an animal, it will only lend to what I hope will be the trip of a lifetime.
A few years back I happened to pass a younger man in a airport, who was returning from a hunt. ( he was self employed in a family business also ) We were chatting, and he mentioned that he had saw a cancellation hunt, and his father encouraged him to take it. ( I am assuming his father may have helped him with the hunt )
He said his dad told him to do it while he could. I think this was great advice.
He then said I should try it. That really got me thinking. ME, A sheep hunt ?
If I didn't do it now, It will only get harder. We've compiled our lists, we're working out regularly, and we're reading Rokslide, trying to learn as much as possible.
Ive talked to a few other 'getting older' men who have also given encouraging words. Thanks.

Long Story Short, Don't Wait !

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
There are so many factors to consider with how to spend our personal finances. The internet has enabled lots of people to interact and for us to view testimonials and such. We all strive to live the perfect life with no regrets, but unfortunately I'd say we will always have those things we wish we "would" have done. As I've gotten older I feel more responsibility toward my family, family vacations and experiences, etc. However, I also started to noticed that although I feel great and physically capable on a recent hunt the young guide was much more capable and really got me thinking. As far as hobbies go hunting and fishing are my top priority. From there I set a goal of places that I want to go, species I want hunt, and future experiences. First I purchased a small farm locally for the family and I to be able to do that year round. For me personally that was the best thing I've done. Younger in life I had obvious debts to consider so I didn't spend frivilously with a goal in mind of things to come. I purposefully set money aside into an account yearly just for my hunting funds. From there I started with a few cheaper guided hunts just to get a feel for it. I really broke down at one time and booked a moose hunt and at the time thought it was crazy to pay that for a hunt but a life long dream hunt so I was gonna do it. Once I got back, super experience and you know what I never missed that money and regretted that decision. After that my mind changed and I started looking for any and every hunt I wanted to do. I looked at my finances, did some planning and made some deposits on some sheep hunts for the future. For me however, I've yet to do a guided hunt that the experience compares to animals that I kill off my personal farm that I manage full time myself.
Without getting too long winded and advice that I could give. Set goals, write em down--the most important. Family first, but make time for yourself. The "golden" time for what I feel most people to afford trips is the mid 40's-50's in that is usually the most income producing years of your life. Retirement really should shift back to a conservative approach with finances of course lots of factors there. Put down that deposit once you are comfortable with it and like others have said don't wait. We only get one trip in life so sit down with a clear head and make a plan for yourself.

Just to throw out some numbers, at the SCI Convention in Nashville last month, I went up to one of the Mexican desert bighorn outfitter’s booth just out of curiosity.

The base prices quoted were, if I remembered correctly, $55,000 base for a free-range DBHS hunt, and $35,000 base for a high-fence DBHS hunt.

You can throw in another 10% base for tips plus money for travel and other incidentals. Good news is no waiting to draw a tag, massage parlor on site, and they have a landing strip if you own a jet. I did not ask if alcohol was extra.

Its all good. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

cbeard64

WKR
Honest question: For DBHS operations that also offer HF hunts, how can you ever know that your supposedly free-range ram was not just released last week or last month or even last year and is basically an animal that is habituated to people?

That would always gnaw at me……

Honest question: For DBHS operations that also offer HF hunts, how can you ever know that your supposedly free-range ram was not just released last week or last month or even last year and is basically an animal that is habituated to people?

Simple - two easy tests to see if your DBHS was farm-raised and bottle-fed.

First, perform the “approach test.” Walk towards the ram and if he does not run when you attempt to pet him then he was bottle-fed at some point.

Second, if walking isn’t your thing, then focus your $5,000 spotting scope package on the ram and look for the orange or pink ear tags. I forget what the different colors mean. One of your six hunting assistants will probably remember the various colors.

Ok. Just joking, just joking. My weak attempt at humor on a Tuesday morning. I am truly glad of the overall conservation work of all parties to bring back to the desert sheep and all game for that matter. Happy hunting again, TheGrayRider.

cbeard64

WKR
😅

I am all for any valid conservation approach too - good on them! But that’s a separate issue from hunting preferences. So I would personally not use an outfit where the scenario I gave is a possibility.

Even with the non-HF ops, aren't a lot of them being populated with captive bred sheep? I get the impression of it being more of a put and take resource but I don't know what the reality is.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
I booked my one and only sheep hunt 2.5 years prior to the 2007 season. I chose the first season which had 3 days scouting, and 7 days hunting. The outfitter only needed a 10% down, 30% 6 months out, and the remainder on arrival. The total cost including the cub flight was 8k. I told my wife I wanted to go once in my life while I was young enough to enjoy it. I was 44, and to this day was the greatest hunt I’ve ever had.

Attachments

• A9126431-23C8-43E3-A6CB-CE391C7265C4.jpeg
    A9126431-23C8-43E3-A6CB-CE391C7265C4.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 34

cbeard64

WKR
Nice! I followed the exact same path and took what I had planned on being my only ram in the Yukon in 2006. I was 42. Total cost was somewhere around 13K for a Fannin sheep.

Then I miraculously drew a NR AZ desert sheep tag 8 years later. So you never know….😊

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve not read everything. I did vote. What I will say is my first guided sheep hunt was in the Yukon in 2002. Since then my income has doubled. The same sheep hunt has tripled in price. And the hunts I considered doing in Alaska at the same time have quadrupled plus.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
Steve:

No kidding on how expensive sheep have gotten. My 2007 hunt at 8k was the biggest bargain in my lifetime. I go to Reno just for fun and when I see good outfitters booked up for 3+ years, and charging just south of 30k for a Dall hunt, I feel pretty blessed to do in back in the day when the price was somewhat reasonable.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! I followed the exact same path and took what I had planned on being my only ram in the Yukon in 2006. I was 42. Total cost was somewhere around 13K for a Fannin sheep.

Then I miraculously drew a NR AZ desert sheep tag 8 years later. So you never know….😊
Steve. Great stone. Please post a pic of your desert ram…