Hornady Bore Driver Eld-X Range Report

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been searching for a CO legal bullet that shoots well out of my T/C Prohunter FX. Just picked up some Hornady Bore Driver ELD-X at Fleet Farm. Shooting 100 grains of BH209 by volume, I was shooting 4” groups at 100 with both Thor Hammer .502
300 grain and Federal Borlock 270s—really not too impressed with these out of this gun. Was thrilled to find the new Hornady were spot-on shooting 1” groups. I did at one point have an issue where a bullet pulled back out on my ramrod, so I’m going to order the specific loading tip. Hopefully this helps others with finicky guns shooting full-bore bullets.

elkivory

FNG
I'm surprised you haven't gotten any feedback on ELD-X. On modern muzzleloader forum there have been tests done that resulted in most people saying not good for elk. I couldn't wait for this bullet to come out and when it did, they really shot good for me at the range. I used them on a Colorado elk and at 120 yards I hit low in shoulder. I reloaded with a Federal Borelock and now he was about 130 yards and I hit him a little back. He walked about 40 yards and laid down. Never got up. Not a good test, but I plan to use Borelocks this year. These are the lead 350 grain. When we deboned the elk I only found fragments of the ELD-X. The Borlock was lodged against the opposite side skin perfectly mushroomed. I weighed the Borlock and it weighed 347.94 grains. I would love to use the ELD-X for accuracy, but I'm afraid of terminal performance. Borlocks are next to impossible to find, but another Rokslide member sold me some a few months back. Hope this helps you decide.

204_ruger

FNG
I did same thing loading my ML. I was using Hornady 250gr sst. I went and bought the tip after that. My bullet was stuck in the end of my ramrod.

OP
D

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised you haven't gotten any feedback on ELD-X. On modern muzzleloader forum there have been tests done that resulted in most people saying not good for elk. I couldn't wait for this bullet to come out and when it did, they really shot good for me at the range. I used them on a Colorado elk and at 120 yards I hit low in shoulder. I reloaded with a Federal Borelock and now he was about 130 yards and I hit him a little back. He walked about 40 yards and laid down. Never got up. Not a good test, but I plan to use Borelocks this year. These are the lead 350 grain. When we deboned the elk I only found fragments of the ELD-X. The Borlock was lodged against the opposite side skin perfectly mushroomed. I weighed the Borlock and it weighed 347.94 grains. I would love to use the ELD-X for accuracy, but I'm afraid of terminal performance. Borlocks are next to impossible to find, but another Rokslide member sold me some a few months back. Hope this helps you decide.
Interesting—I’ve seen some concerns from the milk jug test but haven’t found many fields reviews—a few people have shot deer/elk/moose with satisfactory performance. Probably due to their delayed availability not many hunters made the switch to them last fall. I still will probably give them a shot although you have one of the more concerning real world experiences with them. I think most people are concerned because they are worried these will perform similar to Powerbelts…

Last edited:
What velocity or charge weight were you using? I’ve heard you have to step on them a bit at 1/28 twist for best accuracy. Will be testing out two packs soon as well.

My CVA Accura MR-X 50 cal shoots the 340 grain ELD-X > 0.5 inch groups at 50 yards open sights. One 3 shot group was one big hole. I'm using 100 Grains of Triple 7.

I've shot 3 elk, and 2 mule deer with ELD-X's out of my 300 win mag and they worked great. Ranges from 80 to 550 yards. All 1 shot kills.

I'm planning on using these on my muzzle loader elk hunt this year in CO, that is if I get drawn!

Last edited:

WKR
If I was shooting 4" groups at 100 yards with something that gave me the terminal performance I wanted and using irons, I'd simply call it good.

Felix40

WKR
I’ve been looking at those pretty hard. Powerbelts shoot great for me but I don’t want to use them on elk. I’ve been playing with no excuses 420s and I can’t get them to shoot consistently. I really want to try some of the lead bore loks but they are impossible to find. The eldx may be worth doing a test with.

elkivory

FNG
This was ELD-X removed during meat processing. Borlock didn’t hit any large bones.

Attachments

• IMG_7137.jpeg
    IMG_7137.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7136.jpeg
    IMG_7136.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7129.jpeg
    IMG_7129.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 23

hunt1up

WKR
I had a chance to finally sight in my new MR-X with the 340 Bore Drivers. I shot 12 rounds, 7 with 70 grains of Blackhorn weighed on a scale. Once I had the gun sighted in I tried 80 grains of powder. 50 yards open sights.

Here’s the speeds and final group. If I draw my CO or NM tag I’ll probably roll with these.

5d94951d047f9f61aca6b69cac3ffdd8.jpg

03f7fec2d1266d63aaeaafbcbf91ffaa.jpg