Honda Generator experts

elkliver

WKR
Seems like everyone agrees that Honda is the absolute best way to go with generators... so i think im going to bite the bullet. I have a chance to pick up a couple of used Honda EU 2000i with the companion cord. I know they have now come out with the 2200I but believe the 2000i is probably fine. Im assuming that together i could run the AC in a camp trailer?. Any reason not to grab the pair? Any thoughts on a ball park decent price? Anything i should look for? I'll make sure they start of course but other than that? Are there any challenges to the running in parallel i should know?

I don't know much about generators. :)

PS How do i know if one is the "companion"? Im assuming it has the RV plug receptacle but if i am lookin gat the picture right, it's only a 26.6 amp plug which i dont think will run a trailer with AC

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
My 2500 yamaha will run my AC, but not much more. 4000 would be plenty. You can get them new online for about $1100 apiece plus tax, maybe shipping. Used, I'd probably not pay more than about $500-600 per, based on use/abuse.

I had a Honda 2000i. Bought it new. Sold it and bought a Champion 3200 with remote start for half the price. That was 5 years ago, haven’t ever reconsidered it. It’s quieter than the Honda 2000 and only one motor to service. Runs everything I’ve needed it to while rving.

Fullfan

WKR
Had a pr of the eu2000's. The companion will say so on the side and will have a 30amp plug.
I still have both but bought a pr of 3500 predators. Have a 40' keystone sprinter fiver.
When the Honda's were pared, we could run the Ac and the lights. Running the microwave or any other bigger draw, it would overload the Hondas. The Ac would make them idle up and run wide open. Sounded like they were going to explode. Sure, they are lite and easy to handle.

The Hondas are rated at 15 amp, where the predators are rated at 25 amp each.

Also, big difff in cost between the two. They are both very quiet when running.

We have two of each, and the predators are what go with us.

rayporter

WKR
do you want to wrestle two 55lb units or one 125lb unit? the 125 pounders are pretty awkward to carry.

also one of your considerations should be the size of the gas tank.

Titan

WKR
The only way I would get 2 used ones, would be for a VERY good deal. Otherwise there's so many other options, all of which are great. You can get a 5500w champion with remote start for under $1k.

Weldor

WKR
I think the math is btu/hr divided by 3.41 for your gen size for ac unit .

OP
E

elkliver

WKR
I had a Honda 2000i. Bought it new. Sold it and bought a Champion 3200 with remote start for half the price. That was 5 years ago, haven’t ever reconsidered it. It’s quieter than the Honda 2000 and only one motor to service. Runs everything I’ve needed it to while rving.
You are saying the Champion is quieter than the Honda? Or do you mean that two Hondas running at full output is louder than one Champion?

*zap*

WKR
I have honda, westinghouse, 2 predators and a m-t-m for invertors plus 2 honda frame gennies.

Really the predator from harbor freight with an extended warranty is hard to beat. The warranty covers anything and everything but theft. Run it over with a tracked loader?=get a new one.....

I use a predator 1400 as much as possible for the gas economy...but I do not run any ac.

wapitibob

WKR
A single eu2200, it has a 107ci ? motor and with a starter kit added to the roof air will start the air just fine.
Or buy the harbor freight predator 3500 for $900 ish and be done.

Axlrod

WKR
I had 2 Hondas and a couple buddies each had 2 Yamahas we used in the summer to run our AC in our camp trailers. We all bought Generac 3000i's 4 or 5 years ago. They are as quiet as the Hon/Yam, weigh 60#, good on fuel and run the AC without any issues. The 3000i has been changed to the 3300i, you can get them new for under $900. We use them from March thru Nov, so lots of hours on them with zero issues. Running/servicing/hauling/loading/unloading one generator vs. two is better all the way around.

wyosteve

WKR
I have 2 EU2000's with the companion set up. Will run the air conditioner, but as mentioned it's loud. I also have a Honda EU 6500 which I use for emergency power and that will fire up the air conditioner without running full throttle. As far as cost, my .02 is that if you can get them in the $600 range for each it's a good deal. As mentioned, other companies have caught up with Honda at a lower price point so might look at one of the others mentioned as well.

OP
E

elkliver

WKR
interesting.... sounds like the Honda dominance of the generator market is fading a bit.

You are saying the Champion is quieter than the Honda? Or do you mean that two Hondas running at full output is louder than one Champion?
It’s quieter than the single Honda 2000. I think most of the bigger ones are. I had my 2000i in a camp ground and the guy 4 spots down had some kind of 3000ish watt Yamaha and I was kind of embarrassed to run my Honda in comparison because it was louder.

Titan

WKR
They are all quiet. Either way, direct the exhaust away and then use something hard (like a piece of plywood) to reflect the rest of the noise away from camp. The 5000w+ units will stay in "eco" mode longer while the smaller units will probably jump the rpm to max.

On my framing crews I used to run Honda generators. Sold all of them, bought predators from harbor freight and their extended warranty. Put the rest of the money in my pocket and they have performed better than my Hondas did. They are quieter and have given me fewer problems. Overall super happy with it. I’ve always used the 3500s though so not sure about the smaller ones.

And occasionally you can find a 20% off coupon that includes the generators. When you find this one, it’s the best generator on the market for the price.

gman82001

WKR
Been running 2 champion 2k for years but once they die it’s a predator in the 3500 range for me. I want to be able to use it at the house on my interlock so I don’t have to parallel the 2 champions to be able to hook up when I only need to run things besides the well pump that I’d pull out the 6500 noisy one to do

Brooks

WKR
I’ve had the two Honda eu200i0i for a long time. They are both great, never a problem and I have put many hours on them. They run the RV A/c all day.
I also have a big Champion generator that is crazy loud and heavy.
The only thing I’ve ever had to do to the Hondas is oil, air filter and spark plug once a year.👍