Hit Bull High

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arrow still in, high, bright red blood, limited penetration, and limited blood found speaks to some type of bone/shoulder hit. Something stopped the penetration and at that distance there should be a lot more without something solid being impacted. As you stated things happen so fast after the shot. Grid and take it slow. 👍

Just sounded like a normal shot honestly. Everything happened really fast lol

It can be hard in the moment to observe everything correctly, things are happening quickly, your adrenaline is through the roof.

If you hit in the lungs, I believe your arrow would have blown right through, assuming you didn't hit anything on the way there that caused a deflection.

Heavy bone, not scapula, would have stopped the arrow. If you are 7-8" down, you are likely in the spine. It's just not likely that your arrow would have stopped otherwise.

Now, if the arrow impacted something on the way there, struck partially sideways, that could have killed penetration. Might still give you a dead elk too, assuming it's around 12" down off the backline.

But the picture you posted with the dot is getting very close to vertebrae, just depends on exactly where it hit.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Not saying he is alive or dead because I didn’t see the actual shot but it seems you didn’t get much penetration. Was it an uphill shot, level, downhill? What was the distance, arrow setup etc. What did the impact sound like?
28a1564038b150fedfa34cb813bda04e.jpg

That picture is not correct anatomically. As stated the scapula is incorrectly sized and located, and the spine is not remotely that high in the chest. The spinous processes are 7-10” long on an adult elk, then about 3’ish inches of spine below that.

The Guide

WKR
That picture is not correct anatomically. As stated the scapula is incorrectly sized and located, and the spine is not remotely that high in the chest. The spinous processes are 7-10” long on an adult elk, then about 3’ish inches of spine below that.
I've hit several elk in the spot he suggests on his initial post, with a rifle shot and every stinking time it hit the spine and ruined the best steaks! I swear if you hit an elk with in 12" of the top of their back you will hit bone. Irregardless of the construction of that bullet, hard spine bone tears up a jacketed bullet so I'm sure it would stop a broadhead.

I hope the OP got lucky and it went into the spine from underneath and he cut an artery that filled the body cavity with blood and you have to dry track him to his death bed. Good luck be with you!

Jay

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I deleted my post because the internet illustration I used was inaccurate.

TaperPin

WKR
It’s nice to hear when someone gets down on hands and knees, marking tracks as he goes and putting old school grunt work into tracking an animal.

Marble

WKR
First guy that says hit the void needs to go sit in the corner and think about life. Bull is dead or dieing.
1. There is no void below the spine, where the Lungs sit in the cavity it is 100% occupied 100% of the time. That’s why the chest moves in and out, if there was a void the ribs wouldn’t need to expand when the animal breathes in. If you think there’s a void, start looking up animal surgeries and you will see 100% filled 100% of the time.

2. High lung shots take a while to bleed, remember the chest cavity and lungs need to fill
Before blood comes out the wounds,

3. 8-10” of penetration could be more, if your arrow broke and is missing that much most likely the broadhead is sitting in the offside ribs. Had a bull several years ago break of 6” of arrow, that 6” was stuck in the offside ribs and would have had 20”+ of penetration that the arrow didn’t show.

4. If you did only get 8-10” penetration you may have only gotten one lung, he’s not going to live especially when his chest cavity is filing with blood, his lungs will compress and he will suffocate.

Get back out there, punch your tag he’s dead, that’s always been my rule, you draw blood with a legit kill shot, punch your tag and search for that 1 animal. Call in tracking dogs even, but he deserves 100% of your effort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There definitely is no void. But a wound below the spine and in the thoracic cavity can be survivable. The only reason I know this is that I killed a bull with a broken arrow inside of him. Broken rib on entry, stopped at the other side. Totally healed over. He was running around the mountain with a group of cows for days before I was able to kill him. It was located just below the spine 4-6 ribs in. My only explanations would be a dull (or dulled) broadhead pushing instead of cutting tissue or other tissue filling the hole. The second scenario is unlikely IMO.

Unless he's found, this is all conjecture. But based on past experiences, it's a spine hit. After you figure in hair and everything above the spine, I would guess a good 8-10" between the top of the back (edge of hair) and the bottom of the spine.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk