Hip Belt Pouches

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
These seem like handy little doodads to have on your pack but I haven't found a ton of options. EXO and SG have some but I couldn't find any on the REI website.

What make and model have you all found success with?

Thanks!

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the SG, but Kifaru, Mountain Laurel Designs and Badlands also have some.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of us use Kifaru pockets, they have quite a few options including a Nalgene pocket but you have to have molle on your belt. Kuiu makes a pocket as well.

WoodBow

WKR
I bought a fanny pack in the camping section at walmart. I just folded the belt out of the way and made some straps to attach it to my duplex belt. It is just the right size and has several different compartments. Dang hard to beat for $7

I have a Kifaru pack and an Exo pack, belt pouches on both. I prefer the design of the EXO pouches over the Kifaru, just wish they were a little larger.

RdRdrFan

WKR
A lot of us use Kifaru pockets, they have quite a few options including a Nalgene pocket but you have to have molle on your belt. Kuiu makes a pocket as well.

I haven't handled the Kuiu belt pouches but based on the descriptions I always thought they were specially made to work on the Kuiu hip belt. Am I wrong? Will they work on the Kifaru belt?

OP
R

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I am ready to pull the trigger on an Exo 5500 and at the risk of sounding like a tight wad, I am having the hardest time paying $20 for a pouch I'm not sure my cell phone will fit in!

I wanted more than just a pocket to throw stuff in so I got specific pockets to fit the items I wanted on my belt. I found what I needed at tactical taylor and I got a hard sided camera case. If my camera isn't on my hip I never take any pictures.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I did to protect my camera in my mini belt pouch. The camera I use it for, is the Canon G7X which is about the same size as the Sony RX100 cameras.

IMG_1963_zpshzumlyzp.jpg

IMG_1964_zpsizptfj1y.jpg

colonel00

WKR
Thanks guys. I am ready to pull the trigger on an Exo 5500 and at the risk of sounding like a tight wad, I am having the hardest time paying $20 for a pouch I'm not sure my cell phone will fit in!

What color are you looking for? I have a brown Exo pocket lying around for some reason that I could unload. Also, what phone do you have? I can probably tell you if your phone will fit.

OP
R

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Colonel,

I may have been speaking a little tongue in cheek about the phone. I'm sure a 4" x 5." x 1.5" pouch would hold a phone but it doesn't seem like much more. I am interested in the pouch. PM sent.

Thanks!

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, I hear ya. However, just playing with it, my Galaxy Note 3 just about maxes out the length without any aftermarket case on it. Granted, you could still fit it with a little angle on the phone. But, you are right that these aren't large pouches but I think they still serve a fine purpose.

ChrisS

WKR
Yeah, I hear ya. However, just playing with it, my Galaxy Note 3 just about maxes out the length without any aftermarket case on it. Granted, you could still fit it with a little angle on the phone. But, you are right that these aren't large pouches but I think they still serve a fine purpose.
Yeah, mine holds my iPhone, a silva compass, my small 8 1/2 x 11 map, a bic lighter, and some chapstick. And I can open & close with one hand. I like it.

LBFowler

WKR
I use MOLLE pouches. Huge variety available from hundreds of companies. My favorite are from Blue Force Gear, lightweight 500d and hypalon pouch that is a good size for snacks, camera or whatever. I also use the HPG bottle pouches sometimes, an open top padded pouch that works for small binos or snacks.

jwatts

WKR
I am using an Exo pouch for my rangefinder and a Condor Tactical I Pouch for my GPS and wind checker on my right hip. I use a Tactical Tailor Horizontal E&E pouch on my left hip for anything else I want to carry within reach.