Hinge vs index wrist release POI

Wapiti406

WKR
I have been shooting a hinge all spring and summer. I feel like I would be more comfortable going into the field with the wrist rocket. This evening I shot the wrist release for the first time since last fall and was consistently hitting high and left. With the hinge i can usually keep it in the smallest green circle on an 18-1 at 50. Tonight i was hitting about 6-8" high and left. Even at 20 i was hitting a couple inches off. Would this more of a sign of poor mechanics? Could it be that the arrow is coming off the string differently and that I need to tune differently for the wrist strap? Or can I get away with adjusting my sights to match impact?

Thanks in advance.

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Each release has a different effect on your string when you release. especially going from a caliper type to hook type or wrist rocket that is inline vs a hinge which usually torques the D loop a little.

I usually paper tune my bow when/if I change releases, depending on the bow youre shooting it maybe a simple twist to a yoke cable to get you back on target.

PMcGee

WKR
I hit right and low if I switch back to my index release. Different anchor.
Never noticed my broadhead shooting and different. I just stick to the hinge now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nphunter

WKR
I shoot slightly different with my hinge compared to my thumb release. Same with a wrist strap when I use to shoot one. I just sight in with my thumb and leave it alone, I practice mechanics with my hinge and worry more about the shot than exactly where it hits relative to my thumb button. They are still both on target at 90 yards but they probably hit 12" different left to right of each other at that distance.

Jkling12

FNG
Lots of good advice here. I recommend shooting at a blank target with the hinge that way you only worry about the shot mechanics and not the POI. Your point of impact can change with any release. Even 2 hinge releases can hit different spots depending on anchor and back wall pressure. Also depending on the hinge, I would buy a thumb button in the same profile. Truball fulkrum, abyss are very nice. Same exact profile but different triggers

TripleJ

WKR
My POI changes if I change it up and shoot my wrist style release as opposed to my hinge. Minor changes in anchor point lead to big changes down range on the target. I just stick to a hinge now.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
If your broadheads still hit in the same spot and the bow is still in tune...could always get a second of your exact same sight and switch between the two when switching...especially if it is a dovetail version.

Or just stick with the same release.

If you're anything like me you probably use your knuckles on one side or the other of your traffic finger to anchor with at the back of jaw with a hand held release, but hook your thumb around the back of your with a wrist release because it's more comfortable. That subtle change in angle makes a pretty big difference to where arrows land in relation to where you were holding the pin on the target.

dkime

WKR
torque on your d loop, left handed vs right handed jaw, single jaw vs double jaw, etc. all will have profound impact on your POI from various releases.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am the same way with switching and everything staying the same.

It helps to have the same handle for button, hinge or resistance type

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
Thanks guy, lots of good info here. I'm going to see how the broadheads group. I imagine I'm going to have to retune. When I shoot the hinge my hand is facing more strait out away from my face than down toward my feet like with the index. I'm guessing the lack of twist in the d-loop when shooting the index is whats leading to the difference in POI. I'd like to shoot the hinge hunting but if it clicks before I anchor completely it really jacks up my routine. Also, my hands have started to get cold very fast, regardless of my body temp the last few years.. I can still shoot wrist rocket well with cold hands. I'm not sure how the hinge would pan out with cold fingers.

Turkey165

FNG
I usually hit left with wrist rocket. Im leaning toward Honey2 for hunting.the safety feature is awesome

406unltd

WKR
Probably the anchor difference. At least that’s what I would guess. I am in the exact same boat as far as switching releases. Started using hinge this spring and haven’t looked back. Shot the trigger a few weeks ago and hated it. Hunting with the hinge for sure

Mine hits left and right dead nuts but low with my hinge around 5 yards on my sight tape I do shoot better groups with the hinge tho decisions need to be made hunting season will be here before we know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
My POI changes by about 10 yards when I switch between thumb and wrist strap releases.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Since 2010, For all of my indoor, field, outdoor target or 3D shooting I exclusively use a hinge release (namely a Scott Longhorn Pro). For hunting I use a thumb button Scott Sigma. They are tremendous training aids and help with a multitude of issues including proper alignment, aiming issues, TP issues, etc. They just teach you to execute a better shot once you become comfortable with them. I just started doing a weekly podcast (Archery Uncensored) with Braden Gellenthien and we discuss proper setup and execution of a hinge release quite often. John Dudley also discusses hinge releases on his podcast a lot.
If you are not very experienced with a hinge I really suggest setting it up very cold i.e. with lots of travel in the release before it fires. Pros such as Nathan Brooks, Eric Griggs, and Braden set their releases with a lot of travel, watch any video of them shooting and you will see what I mean.

Zac

WKR
Sweet will definitely check this out, I've been shooting a hinge for 2 years but I still get worse paper tears with it than my index release.