Hilleberg Rogen vs Hilleberg Anjan2 vs Hilleberg Niak

Hey guys I’m looking for input/info for a new 3 season tent.

The tent will primarily be used for sheep in Alberta and B.C.

I’m just looking to see what guys think of the three hillebergs.
I know they’re $$$ especially coming up to Canada but I’m a buy once cry once kinda guy.

Thanks in advance for all the help guys!

-Mad

Hello.
The tents your asking about is in the yellow label from Hilleberg, to me they are a bit weak for high sheep hunting, keeping bad, BAD, weather in mind.
For the kind of hunting, terrain your going in, I will say go with the red label tents.
Do you need a 2 person tent?
I am a great fan of Hilleberg, yes they cost and yes they are on the heavy side, but they are strong!
For high country hunting, bad weather and so, why not look at the Unna, I have it and love it.
Akto is another, lighter, ofer less space but will fight the weather.
If you need room for 2, take a look at the Nallo 2.

AXEL

WKR
I have used many mountain tents all over BC and some of AB, year-around, for stints of a month or so and often solo. I started backpack camping here aged 17 in spring, 1964 and working in the bush the following year.

I have had four Hilles in the past decade and now have a Saivo and a Niak, my usual rig for most trips. With seven wilderness BCFS and AFS fire lookouts from 3 to 5.5 months alone on mountaintops, I am pretty familiar with mountain weather and I agree, buy a Hille Red Label, my choice for one would be the ALLAK, and rock on.

Last edited:
OP
M
I’d like to go to a 2 man just for the extra room. I have a Akto and I find it a bit tight for space.

So AXEL you think the Allak over the Niak? I was kind of leaning that way too at the start.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of my Allak. I use it when I want more room than my Akto.

Jimss

WKR
I have a Nallo 3 that I've used on several Alaska sheep and goat hunts. I really like the extra room! My brother in law and I split up the poles, tent, fly etc so it helps on weight and bulk. It's been a life-saver having a large vestibule for cooking and drying gear. It's also nice having an oversized vestibule for backpack, gear, boots, rifle, etc. Several of the trips I've been on have been miserable and a small tent with a small vestibule can be tough on extended trips! We usually use a basecamp that we return to every day. We sometimes bring along bivy bags in case we want to spend the night on the hill.

The Anjan is similar to the Nallo but the fly doesn't come quite to the ground and the materials aren't quite a thick and sturdy. Having a higher fly will allow better ventilation, however, if it rains or snows you may wish you had a longer fly.

With that said, I would highly recommend Hilleberg tents! They are bomberproof! The wind can howl and you can usually expect rain and possibly snow on sheep hunts. I would highly recommend a tent with a large vestibule!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention that another option I really like about the Nallo is it's possible to use the fly plus poles alone on early season hunts. No need to pack the inner tent when conditions are nice! The fly, poles, and painters plastic floor only weigh just over 2 lbs. I've used the fly by itself on several sheep, mtn goat, and elk hunts in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska and it's worked fantastic! We often bring 2 tents to Alaska on sheep or goat hunts. Sometimes we'll leave 1 tent at basecamp and bring the Nallo fly along if we plan on staying out a night or 2.

Believe me, a 4 season fly is pretty rugged...even when used alone! There is gobs of room and it is ultra-light! Anyway, that's an additional use that a lot of guys never consider!

AKDoc

WKR
Another vote for the Allak. I have it's heavier blacklabel design brother, the Staika, which is not a backpacking tent due to it's weight. That said, I've had my Staika for five years now, going on six. Between bear hunting in the spring, moose in the fall, and Kodiak for blacktail or goats in November, I use it for a month out of every year up here. The design of the Staika and Allak is exceptional and extremely durable. I have been in mine for some truly challenging wx quite a few times that would have flattened some other tents.. The ventilation is outstanding, and I have never had any condensation problems whatsoever. Condensation is reportedly a problem with some of the other Hilleberg designs, but not these two. At 7lbs the Allak is on the heavy side, but if reliability and strength is a higher priority, look closely at the Allak.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Allak and Niak, and have used the Nallo's a bit. I'm not sure there's a 3 season tent out there that's burlier than the Niak...that said if you gotta have bomber, the Allak is awesome, and very nicely featured for spending time in. It feels larger than it is due to the door layout, length, and such. I'm considering selling my Allak because my kids are getting older and I need a little more room, but it is truly awesome. I may go Allak 3 and run it floorless when 4 of us need to fit, we'll see.