Highway 75 Blaine County call to action

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I figured I would start by putting this here. This is a rough draft of a petition/proposal I have been putting together to slow the development of Highway 75 from the south to north end of Blaine County, Idaho. Idaho Transportation Department has been fast tracking a project to construct 4 lanes from south of Bellevue to Ketchum. Part of the highway already has 4 lanes so the idea is to create a continuous flow through the valley. Sounds great except there are many crucial migration routes that mule deer use across the highway and its toll is devastating. The amount of deer and elk hit by traffic that is officially recorded are nearing 600 since 2021(police records). Majority of these are believed to be does and fawns. I personally drive by the destruction of the local herd. I cant remember a week from june until now when I haven’t seen fresh roadkill and some weeks it seems like there is one everday.

Most Importantly, I am advocating for an amendment to be added to the county's comp plan to create a precedent for protecting these vital game species. It seems like a pipe dream the way things work around here but I am aiming for the stars in hopes of shooting the moon.

Feedback is appreciated.

**Petition for Responsible Development of Highway 75 in the Big Wood River Valley**

To conservationists, hunters, and concerned citizens,

We stand at a pivotal moment for the future of Idaho's Big Wood River Valley. As development and traffic increase along Highway 75, we have a responsibility to ensure that any changes to this vital corridor protect both the landscape and the wildlife that depend on it. Although historical data on wildlife populations is limited, we can be certain that species intimately tied to their migration paths—such as deer—are struggling. Disruptions to these routes caused by increasing traffic and unchecked development in crucial habitat have had detrimental impacts on the health and vitality of these species.

This valley is not just a highway; it is a cherished wildlife corridor that supports elk, deer, antelope and countless other species. It’s also a place where the natural world struggles to thrive and adapt alongside human activity. As residents and stewards of this land, we must set a strong precedent for responsible development that respects and conserves these precious resources. We need thoughtful planning that balances progress with protection, ensuring that future generations will continue to enjoy the beauty, hunting opportunities, and natural richness of this region.

We urge you to support a vision that includes:

- Wildlife crossings and underpasses that allow safe migration and movement. These tools have been implemented in surrounding states such as Wyoming and have been proven to be extremely effective in limiting animal/vehicle collisions.

- Thoughtful limits on development to protect critical habitat. Habitat is the most essential ingredient to a healthy/robust herd. Without unbroken habitat from summer to winter range, these animals struggle to survive.

- A reduced speed limit of 45 mph from dusk to dawn(anywhere in Blaine County where it is typically 55 mph), when most wildlife/vehicle collisions occur, to safeguard both animals and drivers. The reduced speed limit North of Hailey until Zinc Spur has proven effective in protecting the Elk herds around Peregrine Ranch.

At this juncture, it is necessary to slow development before we lose all that makes Central Idaho such a vital habitat for so many species.

This is our chance to prevent a future where the Big Wood River Valley is overwhelmed by unchecked growth and its diverse habitat and species are lost forever. Together, we can create a legacy of responsible stewardship for Central Idaho.

Please join us in calling for responsible, balanced development that preserves the integrity of this vital landscape and ensures safe coexistence between people and wildlife.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a link to a good story about a wildlife bridge constructed over State Highway 21, about ten miles north of Lucky Peak in Ada County. It's a very busy road. Lots of great information that may be helpful in your effort.