Highly don't recommend

Jmort1754

WKR
Getting your tonsils out as an adult, holy shit. Ended up back in the OR before I was extubated because I was bleeding like a champ. Now my throat is black a hurts.

Thanks for the recommendations on food earlier it is definitely appreciated.

Oh man I was there when I was 21 or 22. Just when I thought I was in the clear, I ate a tomato at work. Nearly started crying. Felt like I had lit matches in my throat. Hopefully you have a speedy recovery!

I’m 61. I had mine out at 3 or 4 years old. Back then
i guess they thought it was a great idea to yank them out after your first sore throat.
LOL. Get well soon. Eat some ice cream.

I had mine out at 35, it definitely did suck, but was worth it after a few weeks. I did have one bleeding episode that I couldn't stop with ice from pushing recovery too fast. Take it slow.

I had a pretty bad experience with it too. I got them out when I was 21. I went to a cookout when I was 10 days post-op (they say you can eat normal foods after 8 days). I guess the pulled pork and potato salad was too much and that evening I started to bleed from one side. We called the doctor and he said to ice pack and suck on ice until it stops and if it’s still bleeding in the morning they can re-cauterize it.

After an hour or so of the blood dripping into I my stomach I started to puke. Throwing up really irritated things, so then both sides were bleeding pretty profusely.

To make a long story short, the hospital couldn’t get me in the OR to re-cauterize until 11am the next day so I spent about 14 hours bleeding into my stomach and puking blood over and over again. By the time they got it cauterized I was passing out every few minutes and I had lost so much blood that they were on the border of giving me a transfusion. They had me stay another night in the hospital because my blood pressure was so low and then my recovery started all over again.

By the end of it all I had lost 40lbs in 5 weeks. Whatever timelines the doc gives you, double it. If he says the pain will be gone in 3 days it’ll be a week, if he says you can eat normally after a week, make it 2.

That being said it’s been the best thing for my overall health. Before I got them out I was sick with a cold 6-8x a year and now I maybe get sick once a year, and no more nasty tonsil stones.
Good luck in your recovery, take it easy man.

Easter weekend in 9th grade, my mother had me in for elbow surgery!
Easter weekend in 10th grade, my mother threw a fit for me to have my tonsils out!
Got to where I hated seeing Easter roll around each year!

Bless her heart, I honestly think my mother, about half hypochondriac, lived vicariously by having her children sliced and diced as often as possible!

The tonsillectomy!
If the weather changed in the fall, I got a sore throat!
The tonsillectomy was supposed to stop all that nonsense!
What changed?
Not a damned thing!
I still got a sore throat and ran a fever. The throat just got scratchy instead of raw and painful! 😖

I have an appointment set up with a doctor to see if this is a route I should go. I don't love reading stuff like this.

I have an appointment set up with a doctor to see if this is a route I should go. I don't love reading stuff like this.
I had a hell of a time as you can read above but I think it was worth it. Just gotta lay low, stay on mush food for 2-3 weeks and double the timelines the doc gives you.

Long run they say it's great. First two weeks they say hold on.
Like I said I was young when I got mine out and remember some of it. I remember it being a couple weeks before I felt better. I am 27 years deep and zero long term issues.

My wife has tonsil issues. She has to follow a somewhat ridiculous brushing/flushing/gargling routine every night or else she will develop tonsil stones that will get stuck and turn into an infection. She get's about two bad ones every year. She's always on the fence if she should get them removed or not...

I know I am in the minority here, but I just got mine out March 4th (I'm 37) and I couldn't have asked for an easier recovery. I didn't have the bleeding like everyone else mentioned but my pain was also minimal. I stopped taking the liquid pain meds the morning of day 3 and didn't need anything after that. It wasn't any more painful then when I would get strep or a sore throat. I was eating normal foods day 7 (minus say chips) but still was a little cautious somewhat. I laid on the couch for the first couple 2-3 days but then was up and getting after it. It was one of the best decisions I have made to have the surgery. No more tonsil stones, hoping no more strep, no more feeling like something is stuck in my throat and I straight up stopped snoring. Overall 10/10 would recommend.

I would 100 percent do it again. Mine was more than 10 years ago. I didn’t have any bleeding issues, but the pain was in a terrible spot. Got rid of tonsil stones, didn’t stop my snoring but I can feel a difference for sure. I was not a fan of the type of pain it produced. Anything that touched it felt like someone was holding a lighter to the back of my throat. The liquid hydrocodone barely helped. I’d suffer through it again to get rid of the tonsil stones.

I know I am in the minority here, but I just got mine out March 4th (I'm 37) and I couldn't have asked for an easier recovery. I didn't have the bleeding like everyone else mentioned but my pain was also minimal. I stopped taking the liquid pain meds the morning of day 3 and didn't need anything after that. It wasn't any more painful then when I would get strep or a sore throat. I was eating normal foods day 7 (minus say chips) but still was a little cautious somewhat. I laid on the couch for the first couple 2-3 days but then was up and getting after it. It was one of the best decisions I have made to have the surgery. No more tonsil stones, hoping no more strep, no more feeling like something is stuck in my throat and I straight up stopped snoring. Overall 10/10 would recommend.
So far the pain isn't terrible it's just the burning headache that came with it.

I don’t remember any headaches…. I also didn’t drink caffeine then…. I could see caffeine “withdrawals” being a problem today

My wife had it done and was in ROUGH shape for over a week. I looked at the back of her throat after and it was absolutely disgusting. Hope you heal up soon.

Back