High R Pad

fshaw

WKR
I posted the recent “New Sleeping Pad” post and ended up buying a WM Kodiak for an upcoming Grand Canyon trip. I bought this bag as much to use on remote hunting trips in the North East in future years as to use on the canyon.

I already have a Paco Pad which is the standard for extended river trips since you don’t have to carry it. My wife will use that on our trip. Instead of buying another Paco Pad I’m going to buy a self inflating 3 season pad that is a solid pad for sub freezing temps. I have a Neo Air which I love to carry but hate to inflate.

Looking for recommendations for a self inflating pad that is good to around +10F that is packable and reasonably light weight. I can read the specs online, much more interested in what you ise and what you like.

Thanks.

Frank

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I had used a Thermarest Pro lite plus for years and upgraded to a Thermarest Xtherm (reg/wide) a little over a year ago.

Xtherm takes no time at all to inflate with the bag. Used it in 20Deg C to - 15Deg C. I absolutely love this pad!!!!! Comfortable and warm

FlyAK

FNG
Big fan of both the Nemo Tensor insulated and BA Rapide SL. Both have R value > 4, very comfortable, and quiet. With a decent bag either will easily get you to 10F.

The Thermarest Xtherm is definitely warmer, but I personally can’t deal with the noise. There is supposed to be a new version coming out, however, that has a higher R value and is much quieter.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Big fan of both the Nemo Tensor insulated and BA Rapide SL. Both have R value > 4, very comfortable, and quiet. With a decent bag either will easily get you to 10F.

The Thermarest Xtherm is definitely warmer, but I personally can’t deal with the noise. There is supposed to be a new version coming out, however, that has a hire R value and is much quieter.
The NXT is the new version of the Xtherm,Xlite has an NXT version too. 7.3 R value and 3 inches thick now on the Xtherm.

Specs are on there for the new ones

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider

Specs are on there for the new ones
Not going to lie this is a little depressing. I purchased a Kylmit Static V Luxe insulated last year. The rating on the packaging was 5+, I’ve been seeing through independent studies that the Static V line is no where near what it claims in R value.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another to check out is the Exped Ultra 5. I used it and the Nemo Tensor last year, both great options I think. I've found I like that Exped over the Big Agnes Q Core I used to run with.

If you want to keep the Neo and not blow it up
FLEXTAILGEAR Tiny Pump Portable Air Pump Ultra-Mini Air Pump with 1300mAh Battery USB Rechargeable to Inflate Deflate for Pool Floats Air Bed Air Mattress Swimming Ring Vacuum Storage Bags (Grey) https://a.co/d/1MFZAx8

IMO Exped is hard to beat. For extreme temps the Ultra 7R is excellent. R 7.1 rating for temps down to -20. Depending on the size you get (they have 3) it’s 17.5 - 24.3 oz.

A little less cold temp option would be the Exped Ultra 5R recommended by Jordan above. 4.8 R value, 15.7 - 19.6 oz depending on size. Good for temps down to -5.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to keep the Neo and not blow it up
FLEXTAILGEAR Tiny Pump Portable Air Pump Ultra-Mini Air Pump with 1300mAh Battery USB Rechargeable to Inflate Deflate for Pool Floats Air Bed Air Mattress Swimming Ring Vacuum Storage Bags (Grey) https://a.co/d/1MFZAx8
I have the slightly larger version of this that has a light and also able to be used as a recharge device for a phone. Awesome light weight peace of gear. It's also nice if your having issues getting a fire going to add more air to the fire to get it hot quick.

The Exped 9 is crazy warm. The 7, 6 or 5 might be choices depending on how warm you want to go.