High Mileage Vehicle for Work

I don't understand the hate on Hyundai/Kia.
I bought my son a 2009 Kia Optima LX a couple of years ago.
$3500...109k non-smoker with clean history in good shape.
That thing is just a solid little rig, albeit with some underbody rust from it's prior life in upstate NY.
Runs great, good engineering....29mpg.
Toyota would be last on my list....Overpriced from fanboyitis, underengineered, loud, just not a desirable selection of vehicles.
I would consider Subaru for sure but my research has some concerns over engine life.
Older Ford Escapes have a near-cult following.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I've got a 2014 Subaru Outback with nearly 200,000 miles on it that I picked up from a locally for pretty cheap. It needed some work after that many miles, but at 27mpg, AWD, and a set of snow tires in the winter it's pretty bomber. I have a 65 mile round trip commute daily to work so my miles add up quick. I'd rather pile those on a beater than on a new car.
Agreed. Wish the used market wasn't insane though!

Every time a see a used vehicle I think I could get a new one for only a little more.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Montana's 80mph speed limits sure don't help gas mileage!

Zbowman1

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you. I commute about 25-30K per year. With the cost of used vehicles it didn't make any sense for me to buy used and I wasn't going to waist my 1 ton diesel with a million highway miles. I did a ton of research and came down to the Hyundai Elantra and the Subaru Impreza. I chose the Elantra and haven't looked back. Almost 15 MPG better and the warranty is hard to beat. I'm in central Idaho so I'm assuming we have similar driving conditions.

Me and the wife’s Nissan Altima with the 2.5 motor is incredible on gas mileage and it’s not a cracker box. I’m 6’4 and can sit in any seat and be comfortable. Lots of trunk space as well. Average around 33mpg at 80mph on the interstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hybrids are just fine pending your research on brands. It's the full EV's to stay away from for the moment.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you. I commute about 25-30K per year. With the cost of used vehicles it didn't make any sense for me to buy used and I wasn't going to waist my 1 ton diesel with a million highway miles. I did a ton of research and came down to the Hyundai Elantra and the Subaru Impreza. I chose the Elantra and haven't looked back. Almost 15 MPG better and the warranty is hard to beat. I'm in central Idaho so I'm assuming we have similar driving conditions.
Any more info on the Elantra? What year? Issues? Miles? AWD?

Thanks!

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
I've been commuting 120 miles per day for over 10 years. IMO get something as cheap as possible that is relatively comfortable. I put 325k on a corolla (which I also took elk hunting multiple times) and picked up a used bmw328i after the Toyota was retired which Ive put 140k on. I also own a Jeep. Honestly the Toyota did better on snowy roads, unless the snow was really deep, although I pushed snow up to 6" deep with it (powdery). That said the BMW doesn't so have driven the jeep some lately when the weather is bad. 80%+ of the time the weather will be fine for a small commuter. Plus 30+MPG is really nice. That said we have a hybrid highlander that is AWD and seems to handle bad roads fine and gets like 31mpg. It is a bigger vehicle, along the size of a Grand Cherokee or Durango. Maybe a RAV4 hybrid. They get over 40mpg.

View attachment 470116
Get snows for BMW, THEY WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I talked to the Toyota dealer today. At least a 9 month wait on a Tundra and 18 months on a Hybrid RAV4!!

The RAV4 will be two years old by the time you get it - what a steal.

dtrkyman

WKR
My mom has bought 4 Hyundai/Kia in the past 21 or so years, all bought new, all driven in shitty traffic for over 100k, zero issues.

One was handed down to my sister and then her daughter to the tune of 200k miles, pretty basic maintanence and minor repairs, and my sister could break an anvil!

Goatboy22

FNG
If you're secure in your masculinity, go for the Subaru. My daughters have pointed out to me that all the guys in the lifted trucks max out at about 5' 8".

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
Just keep what you have and get a lease that covers the mileage. As long as you don't damage, who cares about the vehicle. Companies I have worked for have paid more than the figure mentioned though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I've been driving 20-35k per year for work for 15 years.
And additional car payment of around 350 and insurance of 150 it easily pencils out because the maintenance is so much cheaper.

Subaru, Rav4, highlander ad a roof box and a set of bfg at tires.

If you're secure in your masculinity, go for the Subaru. My daughters have pointed out to me that all the guys in the lifted trucks max out at about 5' 8".
You and your daughters must live in the land of small men then.