Hide-A-Key

packer58

WKR
Purchased a new to me 2021 F-250 SD 6.7 PS a couple months ago, iv'e always had a hide-a-key under my past pick-ups. Just wondering how you guys that hide a spare key are protecting the key fob from the elements.

Thanks

just a key hidden on the outside, which will open the door. I think it'll start the truck also, but to be honest I've never tried.. if I need it to get into the truck, its because my other set is still inside.

yfarm

WKR
most new vehicles wont let you lock the door with the key inside, my bronco wont allow it.
Interesting, my 2022 does. Do you have the external keypad? Fords external keypad is a must have option. Have a 2020 F250 xl, bcm does not allow addition of the keypad, has to be an xlt or higher trim.

OP
P

packer58

WKR
I’d hide it in the truck and use the key code to get in. You could also have a regular key cut that would just work in the door and hide it underneath.
I like this idea ......if it works, i'll give it a try

If you have proximity ignition, many vehicles won’t let you lock the key inside the car. I put the fob in a Faraday bag, hide it inside the car. Then hide a mechanical key somewhere under the car, with wire or zip tie, magnet hide a keys are crap in the snow or on rough road.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Then hide a mechanical key somewhere under the car, with wire or zip tie, magnet hide a keys are crap in the snow or on rough road.
I've had my magnetic hide a key hidden in the underside of my '89 Toyota for 35 years without issue with snow or rough roads. But it's also not like some of the new hide-a-keys with crap for magnets. It takes some effort to break this magnet free. I wouldn't use a new one without a very strong magnet sealed to it. Also, don't trust zip ties. They'll rot and break free eventually. I've used them for attaching underside plastic covers that have broken free, and also to hold my O2 sensor wiring harness to the frame, and they've all broken in due time. And wire rusts and then breaks too.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You can’t lock the car from the outside with the key fob inside the car. That’s a good thing.
No, that's a bad thing. If I want to lock my vehicle (regardless what's inside of it), then I expect it to lock and stay locked when I lock it. That's how stuff gets destroyed with me. It either works the way I tell it to and expect it to, or it won't ever work again. Kind of like one of Murphy's Laws......"If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway". So I avoid all that kind of stuff.

OP
P

packer58

WKR
I would agree that zip ties don't last long these days, i just used galvanized wire to tie up a spare key on my old ford.

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, my 2022 does. Do you have the external keypad? Fords external keypad is a must have option. Have a 2020 F250 xl, bcm does not allow addition of the keypad, has to be an xlt or higher trim.
no i dont have the external keypad on mine. the less extra stuff the better for me lol.
Really? That seems like a safety issue if you’re in a bad area; say Detroit, where the bronco is made lol
really, and i live 5 miles from the plant lol. i should rephrase that though, it will lock from the inside with you in it, it will not lock with the key inside and the door open, ie locking the door as you get out. also will not lock a fob in even if you try locking with a different fob.