Helpful hints for archery hunting

If you use a hydration bladder in your pack for water, run the hose out on the left shoulder strap of your pack (for a right handed shooter). Last year I came up on a mule deer bedded down during a rain storm and had to attempt a shot with my pack on. On the draw, my release got tangled up with the hose for my hydration bladder that was hanging down on the right shoulder strap of my pack.

I had practiced shooting with my pack on alot, but never with my hydration bladder inside. Now I make sure to keep my right shoulder strap clear of any accessories. I know some people like to hang their rangefinder, windicator, etc off the shoulder straps on their pack.

Last edited:
When beginning a stalk take a picture with your digital camera or phone so you can find the spot the buck, ram or bull is bedded when you're disoriented later in the stalk. I used to draw a map but the pic is a much better option now that I'm older (or the tech is better!).

Another tech tip for this is to use the "sight and go" feature available on most GPS units. Garmin calls it "sight and go", might be something different for other companies. Basically you use this feature by holding the GPS flat and "sighting" across the GPS unit looking directly at your intended target. Once locked, it draws an imaginary straight line on your map to the location you were looking at to use as a reference as you try to get over there.

Very useful on long distance pursuit when you need to cross ridges, valleys, timber, etc. and can not maintain eye contact with your destination the entire time.

Always pack a spare release or finger tab.

If you use a hydration bladder in your pack for water, run the hose out on the left shoulder strap of your pack (for a right handed shooter). Last year I came up on a mule deer bedded down during a rain storm and had to attempt a shot with my pack on. On the draw, my release got tangled up with the hose for my hydration bladder that was hanging down on the right shoulder strap of my pack.

I had practiced shooting with my pack on alot, but never with my hydration bladder inside. Now I make sure to keep my right shoulder strap clear of any accessories. I know some people like to hang their rangefinder, windicator, etc off the shoulder straps on their pack.

The generic advice to practice with your hunting equipment is solid. In regards to the side you run the hydration bladder tube, it might be better to risk release interference before the shot with the tube on the release arm side than string interference during the shot by running it on the bow arm side - something to check while practicing.

Practice shooting on windy days. Remember if you have even a twig in line with one of your pins your arrow is going to hit it.

The generic advice to practice with your hunting equipment is solid. In regards to the side you run the hydration bladder tube, it might be better to risk release interference before the shot with the tube on the release arm side than string interference during the shot by running it on the bow arm side - something to check while practicing.

I would agree. For me, with it over my left shoulder the string could catch it when shot was fired. Putting it over my right shoulder kept it out of the way. I also make sure it is secured to my shoulder strap of my pack lower down on the front so it won't hang up on stuff.

I would agree. For me, with it over my left shoulder the string could catch it when shot was fired. Putting it over my right shoulder kept it out of the way. I also make sure it is secured to my shoulder strap of my pack lower down on the front so it won't hang up on stuff.

You both make a good point. For me it works better on the left, and string clears just fine. I guess the morale is just to make sure you practice shooting your bow with pack/bladder on and make sure it clears.

Back